Sign in to follow this  
thebrookster

Herald 13/60 Estate

So, I have gained a Herald Estate 13/60 for the next couple of years!

Those who are CT members/event participants may know of a group of Americans who routinely buy Triumphs over here unseen, and then fly over and drive them on either RBRR's or 10CR's.

Essentially, a gentleman near to me in Dumbarton was selling a 13/60 Estate that caught the eye of the americans. One facebook appeal for assistance later and I had volunteered to go and view it. I have met the seller once before (also whilst viewing an item for someone else), and knew he had some interesting cars in his driveway. Namely two 13/60 estates and a Dolomite in running conditions, and also a 1250 Herald Saloon needing some work.

Anyway, one viewing later, and the decision was made that the estate was wanted! So today I popped down and collected it, along with a spare gearbox/OD. As the plan is to use the Estate for a 10CR, I figured the OD Gearbox (which was free with the car) was a worthwhile addition.

First thoughts are that it is solid, and tight. No odd noises, steering is spot on, and very nice to drive. 

A few jobs to do. Gearbox to install, HS2 carbs/manifold etc to source and fit. Currently on dynamo, so alternator to fit. Small paint touch-ups required over some chips/scratches, new tyres to get longer term. MOT to obtain (ran out last month and is currently self-certified). Halogen conversion for headlights. Tacho to connect.

So nothing major, but for the money paid a damn solid car!! (And I may well end up with the Saloon as well, but that is a story for another time.)

Cheers,

Phil

IMG_20190525_124331.thumb.jpg.eef5a2094631ff57a5d9d2f7868f5d40.jpg

IMG_20190525_124334.thumb.jpg.5abd2466d1138de921ec33b9f1c15ba8.jpg 

IMG_20190525_124350.thumb.jpg.8dc9378844b11275529dd98b0681bc97.jpg

IMG_20190525_124415.thumb.jpg.95a3867e25bcc8d7ac2663581ced59d2.jpg

Never used mine for 10CR or RBRR, but excellent choice as room to lie down and rest in the back!

John

I presume this is for Team Torpedo? A genuinely lovely bunch of chaps. And they have had some bad luck with previous cars (or maybe the "custodians") but they are now finding rather better people. 

So well done Phil, and Herald estates are great cars. I used 2 over a 12 year period, and they were great workhorses. Hope everything goes well with it!

Is this the first "up the tube" for team torpedo this time around - what other missile will they be choosing next?

1 hour ago, Greta said:

Is this the first "up the tube" for team torpedo this time around - what other missile will they be choosing next?

Nope, I believe this is now #5 car!!

Looks like a decent example - good find. They certainly could do with decent car preparation - were some horror stories from their last couple of attempts. Quillers didn’t come out well.

I had a long chat with one of them (the chief mechanic) at Rolduc in 2017. A tired man. They had a good time, but he was envious of us travelling independently, not limited by the least reliable car, the smallest tank, the smallest bladder, the shortest attention span.....