Mintylamb SU Needle Chart

2 hours ago, James said:

Hi, everyone!

yeah— so I've found out! I'll sort that soonish— much more soonish than when I said I'd sort the SU chart!

So you are the famous gearbox od calculator guru. I’ve heard mystical stories and miss the calculator or was it a dream ?

Guru status James....  :blink: :bow:

Truly you are living the dream :biggrin:

All joking apart, your gearing calculator has no equal that I have found (and I looked quite extensively when mintylamb went MIA).

Do you still have a Triumph in your life?  I did hear that the saloon had had some love quite recently?

Guru... not sure about that...

Does anyone remember what the gearing calculator output was? I don't remember and not sure I can be bothered to install all the stuff to find out.

I still have my saloon — it was done up in 2017. It all looks super fancy now.

James

+1 on the gear calculator, extremely helpful! When it disappeared I had to make a spreadsheet to replace it...

I have a screenshot from "back in the day" when I used it to work out if a 3.89 was too much or not... This was after selecting tyre size, diff ratio, gearbox, OD rev limit.16910626_10154821965316131_2050861338_o.thumb.png.f902f54576ff0743f7cb6b7630f1e31d.png

1 hour ago, mpbarrett said:

Very minor tweak I think the second table column 1 heading should be MPH instead of RPM.

This is a good question — I am not sure that is the row or column title or if it should refer to the contents of the cells themselves.

Hi Folks,

that all looks very clever and tasty. I'm rather new to this.

I take it that the line with  3.746, 2.158 etc are the gear ratio's

Would the 3.89 be the diff ration  - I'm sure it is.

Roger

On 4/30/2019 at 9:56 PM, James said:

Well, I sorted all the maths this evening.

Added a feature that highlights RPM in a defined powerband.

http://mintylamb.co.uk/gearspeed/

Looking very good, glad to have it back and with new features!

Question about the overdrive ratios, they seem quite high to me. Admittedly, I'm not sure on the maths for planetary gear sets. But if the output spins 1.25:1 then the reciprocal ratio 1/1.25 = 0.8, seems more correct? This agrees with the print out from the original calculator that Hamish posted (A-type 22% -> 1/1.22 = ~0.82).

Canley Classics' table seems to agree with this: https://www.canleyclassics.com/technical-archive/different-differentials

What do you think?