Via a post in facebook, came across this video of Jeff Barker's racing Herald, on Texas' Circuit of the Americas, home these days of the American F1 Grand Prix.   Good just to see a Herald racing, but so  competitively too!

if its the one i think it is i think it has won the kas kastner  cup once if not twice, v quick! and iirc a 1300, there i also other videos of it at kas events over the past few years, but i don't think in car like this one.

alan

anyone with better eyesight than me able to see what revs he his pulling, that has got to be 8k plus and after each up gear change it appears back on the limit in seconds. that is one nicely built engine and matched transmission

alan

impressive drive and cornering from a Herald, anyone know about the rear was it standard or swing spring, rotoflex or something else/better?

cheers

mike

Anyone else notice the Porsche 914/6 he is chasing at the beginning of the first clip has GT6 on its tail, lower right side.

Adrian

amazing if its a 1500 crank/block then, still not sure what revs he's pulling but sounded well in the 8k ball park to me, (territory of the small journal 1300's, although i hear Jon wolfe apparently did have a rev limit of 9k on his)pushing it even for the large journal 1300's, and the 1500's should have grenaded well before that, but i guess if you can afford forged steel cranks etc you can change the rules :thumbsup:,

alan

Just discovered I have a pic of Jerry Barker's car on my hard disc!

Weird inverted overriders!  How does he open his bonnet??

Jerry Barker's Race Herald Winner Kastner Cup 2011.jpg

Edited by JohnD

5 hours ago, JohnD said:

Together with a photo montage of the build by the look of it !

Jerry was a multitime SCCA National Champion in various Spitfires.  I recall him saying when he started the Herald it was chosen because winning in a Spit had become too easy.  The car is/was quirky with a snap oversteer although he seems to have sorted that.  Keeping transmissions was a challenge for him too.  Haven't seen him in a few years ...

10 hours ago, JohnD said:

Those are the correct 1200 overriders. Grill panel stays where it is and doesn’t flip with the bonnet.

Nice looking car.

Thought you might have come across him Steve :smile:

Handling wise, anything that works for a Spit stands a very strong chance of working for a Herald, plus you have a slightly longer wheelbase to take the snap out of it. Weight and overcoming chassis-flex (without adding more weight!) are the major challenges..... then there is the aero......