Sign in to follow this  
thebrookster

How to Pass Time............

One of the various downsides to being a seafarer is having time on your hands with little to do.

A prime example is watch-keeping. On the current ship we are required to maintain watches for loading (ship-to-ship approx 50 miles of Californian coast), discharging, and for all US water transits (anything inside 12 miles of coast). Problem is, you can't do a lot of work in this time, because most of the equipment is running.

So I have taken up a new hobby to pass the time away. Lapping. There is a strange pleasure in lapping in valves etc, and getting perfection! And no, I don't think I am going doolally yet.

Current work in progress is a steam trap. The inner sealing ring was nearly 1mm higher than the outer, which left me resorting to a file. Which was fine, except I accidentally filed a low spot on the outer ring, so I now have a very sore wrist!

Cheers,

Phil

IMG_20190412_184307-1280x604.jpg

IMG_20190412_184316-1280x604.jpg

Errr Nick?? Thanks, but no thanks!!

Anyway, this steam trap is now completed, and ready to be installed. Then I have to overhaul the one I remove to keep as a spare.......

However, aside from this, in a few days I inherit a new "office". For the last two assignments I have lucked out and been sailing as the 'extra' engineer. Normally this would be a third, however this ship for some unknown reason had two seconds instead. Anyway, long story short we are going back to two thirds, so I will now take up the full mantle of second engineer looking after the main engine and generators. And as such get a new office, otherwise known as the Fuel Injector Testing Room. Which was looking a bit sorry for itself, so I decided to apply myself to a paint can and roller, much to the amazement of the oilers onboard. This company seems to frown upon setting cadets painting and cleaning tasks, which has resulted in several generations of officers who cannot paint, so to have a 2/E suddenly set too and paint something (competently, I might add) was a bit of a culture shock.

Cheers,

Phil

IMG_20190413_171642-1280x604.jpg

IMG_20190413_174453-1024x2168.jpg