MG Midget - early Mk1 rear brakes

Rod1883

Investigating binding brakes, the rear offside, on the Midget today. It's a very early car - Oct 1961 with the effectively AH Frogeye set up at the rear.

Found that the trailing shoe was fitted the wrong way around, so corrected that, but also found that the wheel cylinder seems seized. So the next problem is getting it off. It is attached to the hydraulics via a two way brass banjo union and a biggish banjo bolt. It's not been apart for some while I imagine so I've squirted it with some penetrating agent and will have a go at it tomorrow (see picture, at least 723 better than WD40?). I'm struggling to work out the spanner size - 19/32 AF I think (as 9/16 is too small, 5/8 too big). Does anyone know?

Rod

P1020779a.jpg

P1020782a.JPG

I think you will find it is 19/32".  I have a socket that size in my set but have never owned or seen a spanner that size.  You may find a 15mm metric one does the job.  I do have one of those though I don't think I've ever found a nut or bolt to fit it.

3 hours ago, JohnD said:

Strange, the ways of fastener sizers.     In metric, I have 16mm tools, but almost brevet seen a nut or bolt that big.

John

16 is a common pipe fitting size, John! Admittedly not a size you would ever use on a car, but I come across them onboard fairly regularly.

Cheers,

Phil