GT6 Project

Hello All,

it has been quite a while since I last updated this rebuild thread... So here goes..

I built up the doors and fitted them . Also fitted the rear hatch. I also fitted rear lights and some items of trim.We then pushed the car out of the workshop where it has sat for too many years and made room for it in the garage at the side of the house.

IMG_20201024_172825 (2).jpg

IMG_20201024_172831 (2).jpg

IMG_20201024_172839 (2).jpg

I then fitted the bonnet assembly which allowed me to get the door shuts and sill gaps fairly close. This took a lot of "fettling" as they say. I found it a right pita to be honest. The gaps are 90% good but I will give them another few hours and hopfully get them better. I also had to "reprofile" and respray the headlamp cowls to match the bonnet which I had repaired earlier in the project. I now have a "matching set" I fitted the bumper ( Fair condition) and decided to go with a lip spoiler which I found in the box of spares that came with the car. 

Door handles are Spitfire items which I reprayed satin black. The original chrome GT6 ones were past saving. (very badly pitted)

IMG_20201031_153417.jpg

IMG_20201031_153506.jpg

IMG_20201031_153517.jpg

IMG_20201031_153533.jpg

IMG_20201031_153604.jpg

IMG_20201031_153631.jpg

IMG_20201031_153640.jpg

I was happy with the way things were going so I fitted headlamps (sealed beams) ... I might up grade them at a later stage.. I would welcome suggestions. 

I polished up the 4 wheels and fitted centre caps and new wheel studs. The wheels are Appliance mags which were popular in the early  to mid 70's. I checked them up on the internet and they appear to have been well regarded back in the day. Especially in the United States apparently.

IMG_20201123_112407.jpg

IMG_20201123_121542.jpg

IMG_20201218_114352.jpg

IMG_20201222_144328.jpg

IMG_20201231_162525.jpg

Son buys me a new bonnet badge for my birthday ... it looks great.

I fitted the Webasto roof yesterday which was one of the toughest parts of the restoration to date. I expected it to be a tricky job but totally underestimated just how tricky it turned out to be. There were times yesterday that I wished I had welded up the roof-skin and confined the Webasto to history. But anyway, it's fitted now, sits nice and flush and is as tight as a drum when closed.

IMG_20201118_110522.jpg

IMG_20201231_134758.jpg

IMG_20201231_134826.jpg

IMG_20201231_162533.jpg

So that where things are now. I need to finish the interior. Door cards, recover dash top, re-veneer dash, roof liner, carpets,  etc. I have purchased Noico sound deadening to stick on the floor pans and boot floor. I have a carpet set which was pyrchased by the PO and never used. I think all the pieces are there. Still undecided about roof-cloth. I might look at a semi rigid alternative .. maybe .. Suggestions welcome.

I then have to fit the windscreen. I have read a few threads about that. Not looking forward.

In the meantime, I think that I will leave those jobs for the time being and get my hands oily....

I think that I will pull the engine and box out of that corner where I parked it 3 years ago and look at my options. I would really welcome advice on what will be a first for me where Triumph engines are concerned. 

I will open another thread on the engine and gearbox over the next day or so and hopfully you will look in on it and let me have your thoughts.

Looking really good. Paint looks great, is it cellulose or 2k.

I have a webesto roof on my Gt6 but it started sticking several years ago despite oil and grease, so something more involve going on so have kept if closed.

The wheels have come up great.

Cheers Mark. I used 2k. I have not wet sanded or compounded it yet . I share your concerns about the Webastos. They really were an oddity in their day. I really wonder about the thinking on cutting a great big hole in the roof of an expensive Daimler or Jaguar back in the 70's and sticking a vinyl skin over it.... and they wer'nt cheap to list as an extra into the bargain.

I'm very pleased with the wheels. I decided to go with dark grey baskets and polish the rims. I remember my son restoring and polishing the BBS back in the Mk2 Golf days and always thought they looked well. It was his suggestion to try it on this set and I'm glad I went with it. 

That's looking great :goodjob:

Panel gaps look pretty decent in the pics (at least as good as mine) and it even looks ok in white (:tongue: mine was born white, now I see yours, perhaps changing it was an over-reaction, but I do love the damson)

Do like a cross-spoke wheel with a bit of dish.  Would have guessed Compomotive CX, but whatever they are, they hit the spot.

Not sure I've ever actually fought with a Webasto roof.  I did remove the fairly decent Britax one from the rotten remains of the roof that came with my original project Vitesse and got decent money for it (for the time).  That was an irritating enough task that I remember it across 30+ years.....  So congrats on winning that battle.

Windscreen..... yeah....  COH Bains seal, well warmed and warm fitting conditions.  Should be a doddle compared to, say, fitting the head lining...... :ninja:

As for engine and box, it depends a bit on what you have, whether the condition is truly known (ie did you drive the car before the resto) and what you intend to use the car for.  If it's fit, the original running gear is decent enough, especially if it's an early enough Mk3 to have the Mk2 spec engine.  The engines are tough and die slow.  The gearboxes...... good luck with that!!  BTW, I've had a hint that VItesse Transmissions may be about to launch a MX5 based kit for GT6s.  Will be a fair chunk of cash......  DIY is a real mission though!

Nick

Cheers Lads.

I will put up a few photos of the engine and box that I have tomorrow. It is not original to this car. It is an older engine I think. 

I started it before removing it from the chassis. It idled rough but that was understandable as it hadnt been started in years. 

I did a compression test (cold) and it did have compression on all 6.