Sign in to follow this  
triumphlux

FOR SALE - Spitfire progressive front springs

I'm selling 2 sets of progressive front springs.

ONLY suitable for a very light car as the springs will not last on a standard car.

Spring diameter as original and they bring the handling of the car to another level.

Springs_0.thumb.jpg.30c29b1c93b6f5a269c63347b2f48564.jpg

- 300/475  -  length  24 cm

These will suit a light road car and are quite comfortable.

- 350/530  -  length 22.5 cm

These are better suited to a race or hillclimb car.

Springs_2.thumb.jpg.285558f5d295b4f08487b3db1681a386.jpg

Price : £ 80 for each pair or £ 150 for both pairs

JC

That was the idea behind the production of these springs.

But as they don't cope with the weight of a normal Spitfire I would not fit them to a GT6/Vitesse.

Ah... right.  I have some 350/530s that were on my Vitesse for a while.  They were ok (just) when first fitted but the close coils were always very close and then touched all the time when the springs settled a bit.  Still good for roll control, but harsh ride and lots of chassis flex......

Would probably be ok for a slightly lighter car (maybe even a standard GT6) but really need dampers with adjustable spring seats. 

2 hours ago, Spit131 said:

Did these get sold ?

Nope.  Still in my garage...…. somewhere...…. you want them?

Or rather..... I don't know about JCs original two pairs, but I still have the pair of the 350/530s that were on my Vitesse.

Hi Nick ,

good to speak to you after all this time .

Yes , I would be happy to take the lightweight pair if that is OK ? Just let me know cost including postage and packaging .

Just in case I ever find the money to have  my eternal project finished off . :-) M

Hi Matt,

Good to hear from you too :smile: 

Just to be sure......

The original poster on this thread is Jean-Claude (Triumphlux).  He was advertising both 300/475 (for Spitfire) and 350/530 (for Vitesse/GT6).

I don't know whether he's sold either of these sets or not - but he may well be along to comment.

You are saying you want the "lightweight" ones, which I take to mean the 300/475?  For this you need Jean-Claude as I only have the 350/500 ones.....

Cheers

Nick

Sorry Nick ,

I do not know the finished corner weights of the car yet but should be very light , ally head , aeroquiped , ally rad/tanks etc , fibreglass bonnet , ally type nine , Kirky seats , fully stripped etc . Current springs 425lbs I believe so which ever ones sound right to you . I am not familiar with progressives . Thanks 

"ONLY suitable for a very light car as the springs will not last on a standard car."

"they don't cope with the weight of a normal Spitfire I would not fit them to a GT6/Vitesse."

What are they made of, liquorice?   If that is what Jean-Claude means, and we should ask him to explain in case his excellent English has let him down, they are not fit for use on any car.

John

JC may well comment in due course - and confirm whether his springs are still available or not.

The problem I had with mine (on the Vitesse) was that there was not enough of (or enough coil spacing) on the "350" part of the spring and though the coils weren't quite touching at rest when first installed and did give the desired effect initially, within a few months they had settled to the point where the close coils were permanently in contact, so any benefit to ride quality of the softer part was lost though the roll suppressing effect was retained.

The problem with these dual rate springs (they are not progressive rate) is that their design is really quite tricky in that they will only function properly over a very narrow range of vehicle weight, and in this application even the ride height has an effect as it changes the angle of the spring/damper action and thus the effective rate.

Thank you for your tech and your honesty Nick .

I have recently made a couple of patent applications and am in the process of discussing the possibility of licensing agreements with people .

praying they are of value and I might finally get to finish my project whilst still able to enjoy it !

Matt,

I hope that when marketing these items you will make fully clear their limitations.  As you yourself say they are not suitbale for an ordinary car!   I fear your market will be very small.

JOhn

Hi John , 

also good to hear from you . Been to Brands lately ?

My patent applications, if that is what you are referring to are not related to Triumphs .

one is a plumbing product . I can show you this as it is now published and in fact due this week to be granted just a UK patent as I did not have the money at the time for a European patent ( another £3,000 on top of the UK application) .

The latest one is a new type of front door lock . I am in early communications with Banhams , Assa Abloy and others . I can not see how it could not be of value but the whole patent game is very precarious .

If it is taken up it will give me the opportunity to put in various other applications I have waiting .

112C23FB-8174-4AD4-811E-3097BF216AA8.png

A51D37E2-F353-4595-87B4-02AD455C8C4A.png

Excellent, Matt, good luck!

I got involved with patenting at one time, a medical device I devised and protoyped, and a manufacturer was interested in financing it, but then I was told that my employer (the NHS) could and would expect 50% of any earnings, and the manufacturer, to my great unsurprise, withdrew.  Boo! to the NHS, but they are in line with many other employers.    I presume you are not in that position?

John

Hi John ,

sorry to hear that , it can be very unfair . Fortunately I am a sole applicant . A friend of mine is an engineer at Fords and he told me they get £200.00 for any new ideas they come up with despite the fact they could be worth fortunes !

i have only started putting in ideas over the last three years so am only just getting used to the system .

As you will know it is a very expensive gamble , my latest application has cost about £10,000 so far because it is two applications in one and 1,200 for a professional to  make my drawings look pretty . Examination is more money , a European application is another £3000,00 and a world patent anywhere between £30,000 and £80,000 . And that is without mentioning the dreaded likely litigation . Obviously one hopes to get a company on board to bare most of those costs .

I have yet to strike a licensing agreement and that is another mine field in itself .

I will keep you posted in a patent ‘ thread ‘ ( is that the word ? )

M

Hi JC ,

If you think these are good for a lightweight Spit I will take them , thanks .

Matt 07733137231