Sign in to follow this  
triumphlux

Angle tacho drive on gearbox

On my Vitesse the tacho stopped working and the tacho cable turn free when taken of the tacho.

So I'm fairly sure that the tacho angle drive has failed.

As I have two original old style ones I wonder what I should do to make them last as long as possible.

No oil at all, very thin oil or dry PTFE ????

What do you think ?

JC 

i think the advice is not to oil as it can get sticky and attract dust and also work its way up the cable into the display head. i gave my cable a thorough clean and used spray silicon on it, is that any better? i don't know. also worth checking the square on the end of the cable and the square receptor in the angle drive they can start rounding.

actually re-reading that is off at a tangent I was thinking about speedo drive not taco, so my question is what angle drive? don't think there should be one on the mechanical taco, unless you mean the gear-set in the dissy?

alan

Hi JC,

assuming you mean the Speedo angle drive. If the cable turns freely at the gauge end then I would suspect that the angle drive internal flexi-cable is sheared.

It is easy enough to take it all apart.

I drilled out the cable on a broken one and used a spitfire speedo cable square end (other may well be OK)  to remake the flexidrive. Easy enough to cut to shape  & fix in place.

After you do this, spin the drive up and make sure it feels very smooth. If it is an original then all should be OK.

New angle drives feel as if the bevel gear teeth are binding. Again easy enough to take apart fit a shim or two to improve engagement.

The flexidrive can be replaced with a square solid steel shaft.

There are two companies that supply very good angle drives - but are not cheap. 

Caerbont automotive make the exact duplicate of the original using the original equipment.

There is another company that make one from scratch - doesn;t look pretty but works - annoyingly I have lost their name (Richfield rings a bell)

Roger

Hi and thanks for your suggestions.

Sorry for the confusion, it actually is the speedo drive.

Will examine the 2 angle drives I have carefully and take them apart if necessary. And will spray them with dry PTFE.

If I remember well its TR GB who sell a modern variant at quite a high price.

JC

I have taken lots of angle drives apart, usually because the cable drive has broken. And fixed using the ends of old speedo cables (a touch of weld to fix works well, as does a good epoxy)

But they have always been greased (dried out and hard when taken apart, but fresh grease when put back together)

I believe a washer is required between the box and the angle drive, have a look at this from Moss, towards the end of the first paragraph

https://mossmotors.com/media/instructions/021-511.pdf

Edited by zetecspit

Not all cars/angle drives require that copper washer. 

I would still go for the OEM AD from Caerbont Auto.

Roger