Sign in to follow this  
rogerguzzi

Speaker Noise

Hello All

I have fitted a small amplifier into Spitty so I can play music off my simple(cheap phone) but I can hear a bit of a whine/buzz

So which type of noise filter would be best?

The Amplifier is one we use to use on the tv to drive 2 hi fi speakers(now have a Cheap sound bar) and it is 12volt input

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ground-Loop-Noise-Filter-Isolator-3-5mm-Cable-For-Home-Stereo-Car-Audio-System/133000034182?hash=item1ef76b7786:g:OKkAAOSwccdclkK8

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ground-Loop-Noise-Filter-Isolator-3-5mm-Cable-For-Home-Stereo-Car-Audio-System/133000034182?hash=item1ef76b7786:g:OKkAAOSwccdclkK8

Roger

A couple of thoughts....

is the whine only there when the engine is running?

if so does it change with engine speed?  if YES then could be ignition or alternator

If you put the lights on does it get worse if YES then its probably from the alternator

The solution could be to put some large capacitors across the supply to the amplifier....

I think you have a Megasquirt that will generate a lot of HF noise on the supplies.... For the amp you ideally need a very good earth going to the battery earth terminal and a good clean supply taken as close as possible to the battery.

You could try running a mains lead to the car and use the amps original power supply, if the noise is still there when you start the car then its coming in thru some other path rather than the supply.. Air borne noise is even more difficult to remove than power supply noise...

Mike

Hello Mike

Thank's for all that I will investigate all those points(not that I think I will play music that often! but no excuse for not being right)

Roger

Hello Mike

I had a play this afternoon and B****r me its not whining now?

I tried no engine and full volume and engine running(I think I can hear a very faint whine but with the sports exhaust it is academic!)

I wrapped the power lead around one of those ferrite blocks with a hole through it(perhaps I have moved the wiring as I have turned the unit over) or its Magic.

Or could it be the florescent lights in the garage?(off today)

Roger

ps I will let sleeping dogs lye

P1050829.JPG

P1060016.JPG

P1040281.JPG

DSC08663.JPG