Sign in to follow this  
Hamish

1968 TRIUMPH GT6 EX MOD-SPORTS

Good lord, how on earth do you value that?

10K.... but that is a punt. It won't appeal to too many. No idea what tax class it will be? 

I quite like the idea, but I expect it is a nightmare on the road, probably (hopefully) good on the track. But again, who knows how the rebuild was done.

If the rebuild is done as well as the brake lines :ohmy::sweat:

And with 23 miles on the clock its definitely NOT a sorted road never mind track day car ….

JC

2L with PI head...... which is an advantage because.....? 7:1 compression? Domed pistons to prevent 7:1 compression? Because it’s good the magic letters PI in it adding bhp and cool factor simultaneously.....

My MOT man would have a good laugh at those brake pipes and send me away to do them properly. Suspect a scrutineer would be similarly unimpressed.

Yep, brakelines look as if they were "rushed" (being generous)

Not really impressed with the rocker breather either. Disappointing, as racecars tend to be meticulous (or many are very "functional"

The recent MOT is a worry too. It comes up as an orange Pontiac Firebird!

"No number on the chassis".  Like a thousand other small chassis Triumphs then.     There was one, but the front of a frontboutrigger is a bit exposed and they rust away.

And " Modsports" is usually a 'silhouette only' regs series, allowing some fairly exotic power units etc, so why has it still got  a pretty 'cooking' original Triumph engine?    

John

I think I vaguely remember this coming up for sale in its “as found” state - which was pretty sad.

How much of the original car was fit for further use and how much of it is still with it is unknown. Competition cars can prove to be a treasury of hard work and investment by a previous serious competitor. Even they fetch little. Others are clapped out relics with few usable parts and many hard to reverse mods that spoil their chances of use in other fields. Modsports is prone to this.

Id be really wary of the car in that ad. I think it’ll struggle to sell. Not least because those arches are ugly!

12 hours ago, JohnD said:

And " Modsports" is usually a 'silhouette only' regs series, allowing some fairly exotic power units etc, so why has it still got  a pretty 'cooking' original Triumph engine?

Agree.. aren't a lot (most) of them on space frame chassis?  This looks fairly standard, might be good for CSCC Swinging '60s though or a competent hillclimber with (quite) a bit more work.   Probably the biggest alternator I've ever seen on a race car too :)

12 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Competition cars can prove to be a treasury of hard work and investment by a previous serious competitor. Even they fetch little. Others are clapped out relics with few usable parts and many hard to reverse mods that spoil their chances of use in other fields. Modsports is prone to this.

It's a constant battle I have with myself, I don't want to veer too far off into the weeds of insane weight savings and modifications as, although much of what I could do would undoubtably work, it'll make the thing even less eligible for a lot of races and harder to sell, should I ever want to.    Championship winning cars are usually built to (and around) the rules of a specific championship which can sometimes make them ineligible for anything else, I try to keep my options open as the further you go the less reversible things tend to become :)  

As to the original question, I'd guess somewhere between 5 and 10k for that one, with 10 being very optimistic IMO.  I'm pretty sure I know of a seriously quick, championship winning GT6 that you could get for about that price ;)

Even a really decent competition GT6 will be worth less on the open market than a similarly decent road car, almost regardless of the investment made in it. Unless you know someone looking for a car for a specific purpose and yours matches, selling will always be hard, especially at a price that reflects the effort and investment you’ve made.

I have an old copy of Classics and Sportscars?  with an article on this car back in the day.  Maybe I'll dredge it up.  I suppose I could scan it if anyone's keen...

it looks like there may be two cars with similar story.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C888194  from last year or the year before, i was tempted to look further at the time, but pulled my horns in:yes:

both 20 years in a barn, both Raced in 1975/76 Modsports series bi Iain Rowley of Delta Motorsport.

one blue one red,

however as iain rowley and delta motorsport still exist, and are still racing with puma's, i think if you really wanted to know about the history of the car(s) i think he would be the person to ask

my thoughts, its not a road car don't have that mindset when looking at it!

my quick maths goes

v5, dvla paperwork that would legitimise the build of a road or motorsport car that would qualify as a genuine 68 roundtail gt6, £1.5k, thats the paperwork not the car! assuming a good chassis, solid steel tub and v lightweight shell for anyone wanting to build/campaign a gt6 that's minimum £2k value (or a couple of years home project work) or way more if you needed by accident or desire for someone to assemble one for you. and whilst we don't have access to the list of work done, new parts etc. etc and in fact can't see a lot from the pictures, i'd be fairly confident about me seeing £2k back on the parts 

so if you wanted a fun car on the drive that if you wanted could be a base for a sprint or hillclimb car if you got it for £4k ballpark i'd recon it a good deal. of course if you really wanted to compete/be competitive  i'm guessing you would be spending an additional £5-10k over the next year or so(i know and i'm cheap!), but in reality you would spend that (plus the time) even if you started with shall we say a more complete original road car. if i wanted another competition car i'd rather start with a shell like that you could do what you want to without hesitating. 

it will be worth what someone bids for it, and that will depend on who spots it and what they wan't it for!

alan