Dog of a tool carrier

Hamish

Cinders was my constant shadow for almost 18 years.

IMG_4686.jpg

All that time she earned her keep by always having a bottle opener on her collar.  She was always popular when the beer light was lit at the end of a days skydiving.

I still miss the sound of her opener tanging against her metal drink bowl by the back door.

But is a dog's place in the workshop?

A favourite simile of mine is "As blind as a welders dog", with the pathetic picture of the poor pooch staring loyally at his master's vocation, until the UV inevitably gives it cataracts.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, they become part of the family. Our two rescue cats arrived with us about 16 years ago - one aged 18 months the other 9 months.

I'm still at least a little upset at losing the little grey cat - mainly because it involved the distress to her of going to the vet for the final deed. I know it is wrong to anthropomorphise how we would feel onto animals,  but she didn't like visiting the vet at the best of times If only she could have died peacefully at home.

We still have the younger one, Fidget:

P1000773a.JPG

See my post pic above grey and black dogs. The little grey one damaged his back at the weekend. Trips to vets then a rush drive to a top animal hospital near castle Donnington scans revealed a vertebrae trauma  thus he had surgery yesterday. 

Poor little mite was a rescue dog who had suffered god knows what for the first 8 months!!

i just hope the insurance can help us out as we are already in for £6k but what price fixing your little mate who is always there for you and brightens your day with just a wag of his tail. The other dog is depressed too. Hopefully home in a week or so.

they don’t half put you through the wringer !!!

Edited by Hamish
Correction

Sorry to read this Hamish. As you say they are our friends, and part of the family. Dogs, probably, give you unconditional love, cats are a little more aloof.

Our two cats were rescue and like your dogs we don't know what they went through before we got them. The tortoiseshell - Fidget - remains pretty subdued two weeks plus after losing her companion, although in life it often appeared that they barely tolerated each other.

We are all a bunch of softies when it comes to our pets.

Which is the joy of cats.     A yes-man, yap-man is less fun than one that occasionally bestows their favour on you.

We have two rescues, one is completely soppy, yet goes in and out, is well known in the neighbourhood for friendliness, and hunts and kills rats.    The other is a house cat, mostly, a moody psycopath who will lash out for no reason.       And we have an outside cat, a true stray who is grateful for anything we give her - and then slinks off!   Their interactions are fascinating.   The psycopath becomes  a raging  terror if confronted by the outside cat, the rat killer the opposite, he'd rather creep away, but will then show off by climbing trees and pretend hunting when further from the outside cat.   

John