First drive with the TR since August 2017...

The weather today was perfect. Hitting the 20C today. The highest February temp ever recorded here in the Netherlands. (The old record was yesterday's temp...). Since I have a few days to spare, this was the perfect day to get the TR on the road. I hadn't driven the car (according to its logbook that I've started since the car got back on the road) since August 24. 2017. Too many cars and too little time alway came between me and the TR.

But not today!

After a check of all fluids, I crossed my fingers and pushed the starter button. Mmmmm, not much. The battery was more or less empty. A few hours charging with the Ctek was enough to get the car blasting into life this afternoon! I always take off the LT lead to the coil and use the starter motor to provide the oil pump with power to pump the oil until I can read the oil pressure. As said, the car woke up pretty quickly. A short trip to the fuel station (They sell RON 102 without Ethanol! Yes!) and everything started to 'sing in tune'!

I took the car for a 50 miles round trip, mostly to towards the eastern part of the country and I even tried a short blast on the motorway. There's some judder at the rear above 60 mph / 100 km. It is speed related, not rpm related, so I guess that it has to do with the wheels or tyres. Balancing is on the program one of these days.

Menno

Ah, Menno, I beat you to it!  I had the '6 out two weeks ago, after a sudden rise in temperature and a day of steady rain to wash the salt off the roads.  30km out of town and back to shake the oil up a bit.  But then we had an equally sudden drop in temp and the gritters were out last weekend.  It's warming up again now, but the forecast is unremittingly wet stuff for the first half of March...

Paul

1 hour ago, MennoR said:

There's some judder at the rear above 60 mph / 100 km. It is speed related, not rpm related, so I guess that it has to do with the wheels or tyres

Yes - but maybe the tyres are flat-spotted from standing so long.  This does happen, how badly and whether it with self correct with driving depends on the tyre age and how badly flat-spotted.

6 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Yes - but maybe the tyres are flat-spotted from standing so long.  This does happen, how badly and whether it with self correct with driving depends on the tyre age and how badly flat-spotted.

I thought about that too. I will have the wheels balanced locally. Luckily for me, that shop is regarded to be the best in the country. There's always a bunch of exotica there for alignment and balancing. Since my car is on w/wheels I'm going to discuss the possibility of balancing them on the car, with a 'scooter'.

Menno

16 hours ago, MennoR said:

! I always take off the LT lead to the coil and use the starter motor to provide the oil pump with power to pump the oil until I can read the oil pressure.

Hi Menno,

did you remove the spark plugs. ?  when  trying to pump up pressure.

With the plugs insitu there will be quite some pressure on the big-ends etc.

Roger