Always get a quote!

Pete Fenlon

I sent the bumpers and overriders door handles and headlamp rims for re chroming. 

It was late last year when I sent the stuff, I called them just before Christmas to ask if the bits were ready, but having staff problems they were going to take more time.

I thought the costs would be around the £500 mark.

I got a call today from a very nice lady, telling me the parts were now ready and would cost me £35 to transport, after I had paid for the chroming cost which was,

£1,541.00

I have queried their charge and await info from them, I should have asked for a quote! But having had work done by them in the past, my estimate was way adrift..........................

On 2/18/2019 at 5:15 PM, oldtuckunder said:

if they haven't got a big deposit tell them you don't want them at that price, and then keep a google and ebay search running for when they come up for sale.

apart from door handles which are nla, the rest is all available new from canleys for £850

I didnt hand over a deposit. I did send them an E mail complaining about their charges. I had a phone call from the firm from a bloke who told me that they only do correct work, using

copper nickel and then chrome, he explained that their materials had increased in price dramatically

Nevertheless, they said they would in this case reduce the cost by £530.

Quite a difference. I do have the problem that I still think a pound is worth 20 shillings, must try harder.

Pete, disappointing to see the behaviour of Porsche main dealers filtering down to local, independent suppliers.

Some years ago before I had found a reliable independent garage to look after my Boxster, I needed 2 plastic inserts to be installed just behind the rear door pillar - they simply snap in. Opening quote was £1200! We are talking something body coloured and about 2" x 5". After lots of b******x (including some nonsense about making up enough paint respray the entire car) we settled at something less than £100.

More recently, having exhausted the original service booklet I requested anther to continue the record. Rather than congratulate me as a loyal, long term owner they wanted £54! I should have learnt by now.

Porsche - never create some goodwill when you can screw the owner!

Miles

6 hours ago, MilesA said:

Porsche - never create some goodwill when you can screw the owner!

one could argue that owning/buying a porsche probably indicates an sm inclination, so maybe the dealers are trying to add to the experience by adding a bit of bd for you, i understand that to indulge you need a safe word like maybe SOLD :biggrin:

ALAN

On 2/19/2019 at 8:28 PM, oldtuckunder said:

in this case i think i'd call that a result (if only a draw), and they will be way better than repro or nos. 

Yes I agree Alan,I hope that when the parts land they will be worth he expense.

Some sad tales there regarding car dealers, all true, I would mention my experience of buying a Citroen XM estate car years ago, by far the worst car I ever bought

but the sorry tale would take too long...............

No need to buy a Porsche to get screwed.

My Citroen C5 (2011) lost the little plastic surround to the drivers door lock.      It's about 1x2" and is purely trim with no operational function at all.     Goodness knows how it fell off, the car opens and locks via the fob.

Anyway, a new part would cost £303, as it is only supplied as part of a complete door lock kit.   So the car thrives and survives without it.

John

PS I have enquired of various breakers but either C5s don't get broken, or else they can't be arsed to supply a part that in all concience they couldn't charge more than a quid for.

It is obscene some prices they charge 

Audi A3 with xenon lamps. front bulb supplied and fitted.... 540 quid!

I bought the bulb for 90 quid, that was shocking enough, and fitted it myself. I do question however the design principles used when you have to remove the entire front bumper to change a bulb

1 minute ago, Bumblebee said:

It is obscene some prices they charge 

Audi A3 with xenon lamps. front bulb supplied and fitted.... 540 quid!

I bought the bulb for 90 quid, that was shocking enough, and fitted it myself. I do question however the design principles used when you have to remove the entire front bumper to change a bulb

The Audi price for a headlight unit for my old A8 was a little over £ 1,200 + VAT. Bulbs (conventional) not included. I bought good used for £ 40 which was more in keeping with the £600 paid for the car.

My megane sport was like that, the manual when you look up changing a headlight bulb actually starts with "remove the wheel", removing the bumper was easier than contorting your arm into the hatch.

BMW seem to have a thing of saying "is there anything we can do on the price" whenever my car needs work, my answer is always "so your overcharging me in the first place" its quite fun to watch them squirm. 

Friend of mine used to be a director at Renault Holland. He told me that the factory in France is pretty 'lose' when it comes to setting prices for parts in various countries. E.g.: those plastic hub caps costed next to nothing here in Holland. In France however, they cost an arm and a leg. Reason: most Dutch cars are on alloys... and in France, most cars were (are?) on steel rims, needing those caps!

Talking about Porsche prices... a colleague has two older Porsches. Both bought at an indy about 10 yrs ago. The hassle and the money it took to get them 'on board' at the main dealer again! It took him nearly 9000 euros before they were 'roadworthy again' (Main dealer's text...). He hardly uses the cars: less than 5k kms/year a piece. Both are serviced every year at the dealer's. Last autumn he had to fork out 3200 euros for one and 4800 euros for the other; just for annual inspection, oil change etc. For the stamp in the booklet... When I suggest that he can have them serviced for less than 40% of the dealer's price, he always answers: "...the cars' value will go down without the stamps in the booklet?" My return: "Are you planning to sell them?" You can guess the answer: "No."

I rest my case...

Menno

Shouldn't there be some sort of legislation on headlamp "replaceability"  in car design?

Every Autumn I am shocked by the number of cars with one headlight out. Ok sometimes the driver might not be aware but how often is the sheer scale of the task, and the associated price, a delaying factor in road safety.

In the old days if I noticed a headlamp bulb was out I would pull over near a street light and fit a replacement before continuing my journey, now an impossible task. I wonder why many continental countries still insist on carrying replacement bulbs, do people carry replacement HID's or whatever?

Alan

20 minutes ago, AB|W said:

Shouldn't there be some sort of legislation on headlamp "replaceability"  in car design?

You'd think it would be smart, but then so would requiring at least a space-saver spare wheel be....... Doesn't seem to get considered.

Mind you, changing the headlight bulb in a Spit IV or GT6 3 is a pretty irritating process involving the removal of the cowl first.  Chris has modded a pair of bowls to give access from behind.

6 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Chris has modded a pair of bowls to give access from behind.

As a former Spit owner, I can say that I applaud that! One of the best ideas. (Perhaps next to the two triangled canvas bags I once saw above the wheel arches/in the cavity between wheel arch and bonnet. There's enough place to store much-needed car parts to overcome a break-down of the car).

On 2/23/2019 at 8:44 AM, Bumblebee said:

I do question however the design principles used when you have to remove the entire front bumper to change a bulb

I don't believe that modern car designers have any idea or care about servicing needs. Changing the battery on my daughter's Kuga ended up taking over an hour as it is lodged under the windscreen area with the air filter system needing to be removed before it can be extracted (an alternative method involves removing the windscreen wipers!). There different headed sets of screws holding all the  air filter gubbins together too - 1 identical set would have been fine as they were all pretty much the same size. 

At least eBay makes up for the loss of scrapers and factors - not as much fun of course.