Sign in to follow this  
JohnD

Motorsport at the Palace

The Crystal Palace race circuit held some iconic events in the day.     It's not possible to race there any more, after the National Sports Centre was built over it, but the Sevenoaks & District MC has been successfully holding sprints on the remaining parts for some years.  Last year, they 'outsourced' the organisation to an event company - who promptly made a mess of it, so it wasn't held in 2018.    But the S&DMC have stepped up and "Motorsport at the Palace" is on again for 2019, 26/27th May.

It's a lovely setting in Crystal Palace park, and being only 11 miles from Central London is within easy reach of more potential spectators than any other UK event!    It attracts some wonderful vehicles, including Triumphs. 

It's a fun weekend, that I recommend to spectators and potential competitors.  I hope to be running the Vitesse there, and it would be great to see some more Triumphs as well.   See for details: https://www.motorsportatthepalace.co.uk/

John

Crystal Palace Sprints 2011.jpg

Great stuff!  But let's not kid ourselves, "Motorsport at the Palace" is a Sprint event.     It starts down by the lake and follows Fisherman's Rise of the old Pre-WW2 layout up to join the old start/finish straight at a hairpin formed by The Link at Big Tree Bend - you can see it in the video above as the camera pans left from the start.     Then, there is a new chicane on the left hand curve before it goes into North Tower Crescent and through the woods to the finish line short of Fisherman's Bend, which takes you back to the Paddock, next to the Maze.

Image result for crystal palace circuit map

As a drive it's very short, very intense and a complete hoot!  Loads of good viewing areas, the Paddock is wide open to visitors, usually lots of club stands to see, and they have traditionally been very lucky with the weather.  As this video shows:

I'll hope to be able to join you all!

JOhn

Edited by JohnD

Agree. A relaxed way to ease into the new season as a spectator and as John says, they have been very lucky with the weather in past years. If it holds up this year I will jump on the overground at Holloway Road with a good car mag and alight at Crystal Palace ready for the action and displays.

For the first year of the modern era of competitive driving at Crystal Palace....'Motorsport at the Palace'. I was contacted at work (Spadeoak Construction: Surfacing and Civil Engineers) to  price for a section of road repair to the circuit. I had previously taken part in a few 7Oaks and District MC Autosolo events and whilst talking to an official of that Club mentioned that I worked for a surfacing contractor... and therefore got to do the works.

Not a massive amount of work, but nice to be involved in such a goood clubbie event.