Sign in to follow this  
Hamish

What is this engine

Since loosing my dad in October I have been finding pictures that he had kept. 

This one from left to right David Roscoe (Dad) Barry Sheene, Stephanie Sheene, John Hollings (?)

it will be at the Rolls Royce Motors Crewe factory mid 1970’s to early ‘80’s

but what is the engine or what part of it if its their v8 ?

3DD63EC9-ABB1-405E-B045-82261576F6C4.jpeg

They made some opposed-piston two-stroke diesels that mostly ended up in tanks and the like.   K40/K50/K60 series,  though that doesn't fit the pic you posted as they seem to have the cranks at opposite ends......  Any more clues?

No more clues. 

Just found the pic. 

Sheene was a hero of mine and due to dad got to meet him a few times. 

I cant even work out which part of the engine I’m looking at. With those two rows of journals. 

12 minutes ago, PeterC said:

As Nick saya a two-stroke horizontally opposed diesel. Its the cylinder head. Design resembles a Commer TS3 2-stroke deisel but is much bigger

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/rootes-listerts3/ts3.htm

Note the two shiny ca 4 inch diameter discs whic may be the bearing caps for the crank rockers

Peter

...........on second thoughts, no need for valves on such an engine.

Possible crank case from a Rolls Royce tank engine. Interesting picture of Barry Sheene with his wife  Stephanie.

I remember meeting here back in the swinging sixties when she was modelling ,we were in the RAF Association club

one Monday night  in Sale at their weekly disco. She was with two other models, we all went on to Blinkers Night Club

in Manchester. Happy days.

Harvey S M

Thanks for the efforts chaps. 

I don’t have a clue and I thought you guys who have the answer 

it’s the time frame that make it difficult. 

Can anyone tell what I’m looking at ?

well as a clue to those budding sleuths, if it was Rolls Royce Motor's mid 70's-early 80's then this is entirely the Motor car division hived off as a separate entity after 1971 and the big RR collapse and before it was sold to Vickers in 80/81 and Volkswagen in 89. So whilst not impossible that they had some historic engine artefacts RRM weren't developing anything other than car engines at that period, so if they are looking at anything current to the time its highly likely its auto related, of course this could be the kind of clue that leads everyone on  a wild goose chase.

alan

1 hour ago, oldtuckunder said:

well as a clue to those budding sleuths, if it was Rolls Royce Motor's mid 70's-early 80's then this is entirely the Motor car division hived off as a separate entity after 1971 and the big RR collapse and before it was sold to Vickers in 80/81 and Volkswagen in 89. So whilst not impossible that they had some historic engine artefacts RRM weren't developing anything other than car engines at that period, so if they are looking at anything current to the time its highly likely its auto related, of course this could be the kind of clue that leads everyone on  a wild goose chase.

alan

The timing is correct Dad was recruited to RRM post split with aero as marketing director and went with the management team to vickers when they merged. 

And what parts are these highlighted. 

35FB154E-5D8C-4839-881B-E2013329E9F4.jpeg

Those are bearing caps. So twin crankshafts.

Could be a Rolls Royce Eagle XXII (22).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Eagle_(1944)

http://modelenginenews.org/gallery/croft/eagle/index.html

2 hours ago, spitNL said:

Could be a Rolls Royce Eagle XXII (22).

i agree about it being bearing caps but if the scale model of the eagle is accurate there are a pair too many, plus other noticeable differences. just wondering if we are looking at a top rather than a bottom? could those be cam journals, i ask because of the two circular mounting holes outboard of each bank as RR loved taking drive for superchargers and a lot of other things direct from the cam shafts rather than the crank. However we get back to the question if that really is at RRM and not offsite somewhere else, unless the car division had an ex aero museum what would such a thing be doing at a car plant?