How are the forumites in Can and Northern US doing, weather-wise?

MennoR

Bizarre digits on TV for the last few days when looking at the Can and US weather charts. All-time lows or nearly all-time lows. Both my wife and my father-in-law are always telling about the winter of 96. That must have been something special. It looks as if this winter is catching up with that one!

We have a few fellow forumites here from Can and the Northern US. How are they doing? Is it still manageable? -42C in Wisconsin, -32C (daytime) in Toronto... that's very, very cold.

My Canadian in-laws (80+) had the bright idea to spend the winter in Spain and France. So they are pretty safe here. My wife had a business meeting planned in Boston next week but she's steering away from that and has invited her US and Can crew to fly to Orlando instead for the meeting. No-one protested when she changed the location of the meeting...

Menno

Can't match those temperatures (thankfully!!) but south west UK looks like this this morning.

P1180868s.jpg

P1180870s.jpg

Approx 50mm/2".  It's slowly melting as temperature is just around 0ºC

No match for the north American / Canadian experience but unusual enough here.  Happily I don't have to go anywhere today......

Crikey, Nick!  That snow must have come down quickly......you haven't even got out of the gate before your bike ground to a halt! 

We've got about the same in the New Forest, the trees are beautiful, like a winter wonderland.

I hope Don is hibernating from all that cold.....send us a post, Don! :) 

xxxxxxxxxxxx

...and the same here in Berkshire. Glad I'm retired now otherwise I would have been trying to get to work in it.  Just been out clearing the shared driveway in case anyone needs to get to my even-more-aged neighbours in hurry.

I hope that vortex doesn't slip to the right a bit - perhaps that's what happened in '63?

My son's mates are sailing the World Sailing Series in Miami as we speak. No news from them about cold weather. And the pics don't show it eighter: young men and women in shorts and summer-style sailing gear. I'm having my eye on Orlando's weather on behalf of the boss here in the house. 

We have also some snow on the ground. Last week about 4 inches. That has melted away overnight. Yesterday evening a second front brought about 3 inches here. 20 kms to the east, there's a lot more snow on the ground: about 8 - 10 inches.

Menno

Just seen this. 

Toronto was, indeed, extremely cold this past week after a fair dump of snow on Monday night. 

As luck would have it, I flew to LA on Monday morning so I missed it all. Returned Friday night to huge piles of snow, but temperatures back to only about -15 as they have been for a couple of weeks. And then it actually crept above freezing today. 

TR is NOT out to play. 

I think Canada, and Toronto in particular, are so well prepared for the usual winter cold that even this won't be a problem, Tim?

Chicago is notoriously cold too, as it has a 'continental' climate, like Siberia, cold in winter, hot in summer, despite the Great Lakes.     A bigger body of water would keep it less extreme, like, say Morecambe, where transient dustings of snow were greeting by cries of joy and a second T-shirt.   And gloves., I admit.

And despite my cunning plan to have our central heating boiler serviced in November, instead of January, ours went on the blink last Saturday, and I put on a third T-shirt. And scarf.     Technicians riding the rescue as I write, thank goodness.

John

Yes, John, that's true.  Cold in itself is rarely a significant problem here because we are used to it.  Having said that, a lot of work goes on to try to ensure homeless people are safe in the extreme cold with additional spaces opening up for them (church halls and the like).

We all own some pretty warm clothing too ;-)

When I close my eyes, I can see people in the Vegas' streets running like ants when their nest is under attack: all in shock and awe 'what to do when that nasty stuff falls on your head'!

I remember a holiday season in Southwest Florida when on a certain day, the temps dropped below 20C in the morning. Locals wearing hoodies and mittens, older 'snowbirds' wearing a fur coat... And we, being on holiday from NW Europe and together with the snow-beaten people from the northern East Coast states, were still strolling along in t-shirts, shorts and flipflops!:biggrin:

Menno

Yes.... like the 'Vegas image :smile: cCn remember wandering Perth WA in March 1995 on a bright, sunny 18ºC morning, wearing a T-shirt (and probably glowing bright white having just come from wintery UK) surrounded by the natives in their hats, coats and scarves looking at me strangely.

Mind you, our postman was wearing shorts and a T-shirt this morning.  It's 9ºC, wet, and very windy.  Postmen are special!