Sign in to follow this  
oldtuckunder

Now there's lightening and lightening

I “could” remove considerable weight from my racing set up. 

But I just don’t fancy going on a diet ..........

Tut!  They've left the backing plate inside the door at full size!

Easy enough to get at too.

J.

40 minutes ago, Hamish said:

I “could” remove considerable weight from my racing set up. 

But I just don’t fancy going on a diet ..........

I remember a conversation in the paddock at Wiscombe Park many years ago.  Three competitors and me as a bystander - all friends.  The competitors were pilots of a Mini Jem, Mini Marcos and Cox GTM.  All Mini-based kit cars and very light indeed.  The Marcos driver (slowest of the bunch) was holding forth on his latest weight saving measures.  Drilling all manner of stuff.  He's a big lad.  Portly even.  Pointed glances were cast at his more than ample midriff....... chuckles.  Eventually he realises his audience are not wholly with him.  "What?!"  'S not the car that needs to loose weight mate..........

Some banter later it is established that he weighs about 40kgs more than the other two.  Probably knocking on 10% of the weight of his car.  Quite a big disadvantage!

Nick

I had a similar chat with some biker mates who would spend thousands £ on carbon and titanium bits. Inc clutch housings, exhausts, fairings, wheels and seat panels etc

And tank protector pads to rest their ample bellies on. Slim power rangers they were not!! In their one piece leathers !!!

Hello RedRooster,

" They could have left the washers off too "

Many a true word said in jest.  Colin Chapman saw a new mechanic to Team Lotus working on one of the cars and he ordered him to remove all the washers he had just fiited on whatever he was working on. Add lightness was one of Chapman's mottos.

Alec

17 minutes ago, 2.5piman said:

Hello RedRooster,

" They could have left the washers off too "

Many a true word said in jest.  Colin Chapman saw a new mechanic to Team Lotus working on one of the cars and he ordered him to remove all the washers he had just fiited on whatever he was working on. Add lightness was one of Chapman's mottos.

Alec

“Chapman's insatiable quest for light weight, innovation and victory – and, at times money to continue racing – meant he produced some appallingly under-engineered and/or frail racing cars. These often broke, sometimes tragically.

If they weren't so damn quick, few would have taken the chance. The German-Austrian driver Jochen Rindt once said "I'm so keen to win the World Championship that I'm even going to drive for Lotus". Rindt did win the World Championship in 1970, but posthumously. He was the victim of a failure of his Lotus 72C's radical inboard braking system (and, to be fair, very poorly positioned Armco).”

ref:-  https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.drive.com.au/amp/motor-news/milestones-the-troubling-brilliance-of-colin-chapman-20140930-10ndx5

It is a tad unfair to Chapman to brand him as a driver killer. 

"Motorsport is dangerous" and no time was as dangerous as the late '60s, as this picture shows:

D.jpg

As for "under-engineered", I suppose it depends on how you define that, but Chapman was an extraordinarily imaginative and skilful engineer, not an incompetetn ot slapdash one.   His firsts, or at last early adoptions in motorsport show that - rear/mid engines, downforce, wings, turbos, active suspension etc.

John

Edited by JohnD

John

you are right. 

Esp in those days with innovation came risk. And I bet the drivers would have driven anyway. 

My dad was Racing  in the 50’s onwards and was mates with hawthorn and went to school with Collins, he even lent Jenks his alvis for an event and later got to know Fangio and many others. 

My dad took safety to heart. That’s a compressed cardboard helmet and wool jumper he is wearing in that methanol filled cooper. !!! I’ll have you know :ohmy:

74614D27-CECA-4D46-B15B-1251FD67854E.jpeg

8CDFC7DB-3B54-42D9-9D57-93EDE9967ECB.jpeg

Edited by Hamish
Sp

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

He. Knew. Fangio.

we are not worthy!

John

I tried to get him to write a book. But keyboard skill were a little slow. 

So I got him a dictaphone thing and he didn’t get on with that. 

Now it’s too late. And I have to try and remember those off the cuff stories. And I come across stuff all the time that makes me go wow !!

H

Not ashamed to say I am very proud of my dad and miss him. 

3 hours ago, Hamish said:

Not ashamed to say I am very proud of my dad and miss him. 

Justifiably so, Hamish.  What a history!

Are you collecting these mementos and anecdotes, so that you can put together a scrapbook of his life?

Paul

4 hours ago, JohnD said:

He. Knew. Fangio.

we are not worthy!

John

For me as a bike petrol head it was being introduced by my dad to Barry Sheene and his wife Steph. 

Meeting ones hero’s is breathtaking. The first time was at Oulton Park during the transatlantic trophy races they use to hold. 

Another story was catching up with sheene  at a hotel bar at the adalaide F1 gp 1989. .........

Hamish,

Do you have any more pics of your dad with his friends in motorsport? 

I would very much like to see them, if you would post them!

John

22 minutes ago, oldtuckunder said:

And the Door Latches :biggrin:

Alan

2086687443_lightening002(Large).thumb.jpg.238335476f988f56503daed1fd8f9840.jpg

Strewth! That took him a while.

I wonder what the flywheel looks like.......

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Hamish,

Do you have any more pics of your dad with his friends in motorsport? 

I would very much like to see them, if you would post them!

John

John

I will have to have a look when next with mum. 

Its not Motorsport but this was him with the jacksons at RR at Crewe that I have on my phone. 

(Michael was elsewhere.)

98CBB4FA-84C2-4579-9225-FEA684D33655.jpeg

Yeah....... well it might be ok if it were steel but it's owner proudly confirmed it to be an original cast iron one. He got shirty when I posted a couple of links to flywheel failure videos.  

I wouldn't get in a car with that.