Sign in to follow this  
TR5tar

Very International Rescue

I saw this "walking car" featured in the news today and it reminded me of watching Thunderbirds as a kid ... 

Thunderbirds was ace when I watched it in B&W, then went round a friends house who were well off and had a colour telly and you could see the strings, never the same after that.

RR

Quick trivia question for Thunderbirds fans. The 5 brothers were Scott, Vigil, John, Alan and Gordon. Who were they named after?

2 hours ago, TR5tar said:

Quick trivia question for Thunderbirds fans. The 5 brothers were Scott, Vigil, John, Alan and Gordon. Who were they named after?

Does Alan Shepard and John Glenn give a clue (can't do the rest without Wiki)

15 minutes ago, PaulAA said:

The Mercury Seven. Men who took incalculable risks, yet only one of them - Gus Grissom - died with his boots on.

Apollo 1. Gus died alg with his crew mates,  Ed White and Roger Chaffee.

if you ever go to FloridaSpace Centre, they have made a lovely memorial to the Apollo 1 crew.

The Mercury 7 ... the first US astronauts.

Scott Carpenter

John Glenn

Alan Shepard

Gordon (Gordo) Cooper 

Virgil Ivan (Gus) Grissom

and Donald (Deke) Slayton, and Walter (Wally) Schirra. 

Tom Wolfe's The Right Stuff gives a great flavour of their exploits.  

Edited by TR5tar

Oh I can Roger that Paul:ermm: the myth is a far better tale, however given the period 50-60s and despite the Author's protestations to the contrary one does still suspect that a little double entendre might have crept in.

Running at the same time as the Navy Lark that exposed millions of listeners to "Polari" (even if they didn't know it) one can retain a suspicion that Pugwash may not be 100% clean. I for one as an adolescent school boy in that period will continue to maintain and propagate the myth of the misnamed characters :thumbsup:

Alan 

Whoops my memory was wrong, Polari was used in "Round the Horn" not the Navy Lark, however same time period and similar characters, actors,

Edited by oldtuckunder

What I did find misleading were the Pugwash Conferences.  Far from being jolly meetings of  piratical pranksters, they were awfully serious meetings of well-meaning scientists and philosophers, led by no less than Betrand Russell and Albert Einstein and concerned with world peace, who met in the tiny village of Pugwash, Nova Scotia.

What connection there was between the village and the gallant if ineffectual captain, I have no idea!

J.

18 hours ago, TR5tar said:

The Mercury 7 ... the first US astronauts.

Scott Carpenter

John Glenn

Alan Shepard

Gordon (Gordo) Cooper 

Virgil Ivan (Gus) Grissom

and Donald (Deke) Slayton, and Walter (Wally) Schirra. 

Tom Wolfe's The Right Stuff gives a great flavour of their exploits.  

Gee.....I was close Darren. 

Dave