Those crazy Russians

At no point during the film did he open the boot.  It might contain the reason for the car being in the lake in the first place....

The sign that appears at 1.30 denotes that the lake is a source for fire-fighting water, presumably made a little livelier by the contents of the fuel tanks of the various vehicles 'parked' there.

Paul

I got the impression that they had placed the car there themselves for "research purposes" before the lake froze and that it had been fairly intact then.  They had failed to consider the effects of the shallow water and thick ice on the roof and were surprised to find it flattened.

Just possibly they drained the fuel and oil before it went in.  Certainly I saw very little oil come out with the water when the sump was drained......

Simple 4 stroke engines are pretty robust things.

I wondered why he brought a compressor along and then pumped his boat up with a foot pump!  Perhaps he was cold.

Nick

Brief moment, near beginning, where they turn over the engine on the starter with the plugs out -> spouts of water from the bores.

This recalled a summer, long, long ago, when as a temporary, student, garage floor sweeper, I was swept up with the apprentices (yes, a small town BMC dealer had aprentices in those far off days) and bussed off to a car pound near Oxford where a job lot of MGBs had been overtaken by a cloudburst and a flood.    Of sewage.     Our job was to strip them of furnishings, so that they could be sent back into the factory, retrimmed and sold off.     I carried a large battery around so that the bores might be purged of dirty water.     

So, if you know of anyone who bought a new MGB and complained that it smelt slightly of sh1t, you now know why.

John

LOL.

Car might be built in Russia but the design is not. Lada/VAZ are crap. They are cheap to repair because the parts are made of junk. You change the mechanics all the time, but no problem as the crap replacements are very cheap. Thirty years later your Lada is a bit like "Triggers brush". Not having to MOT the car every year helps in keeping it on the road for a very long time.

Cheers,

Iain.

PS. The video was worth the watch. Seen the same guy before with DIY wood brake pads and other crazy stuff/mods.

Edited by spitfire6
PS

Wood Brake pads, when I was working in Trinidad the taxi went straight through a set of red lights, the driver laughed and said this car has wooden brakes, we all looked at him thinking exactly, that, but then he said it wouldn't stop, which is worse.

Hell of a drive to the airport that one.

RR

3 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Wood Brake pads, when I was working in Trinidad the taxi went straight through a set of red lights, the driver laughed and said this car has wooden brakes, we all looked at him thinking exactly, that, but then he said it wouldn't stop, which is worse.

Hell of a drive to the airport that one.

RR

You where driving from Port of Spain? When I was there, I got run off the road by two very big guys with guns. Saw I was white and lowered the guns instead of shooting. LOL. Happy days.

Cheers,

Iain.

Edited by spitfire6