365 photos in 365 days

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had to look up what that means.:confused:

I go out of my way when asking for IT help to point out that almost certainly I am doing something wrong, and in a good proportion of cases the IT person shows me how to do it right. I think the attitude of "it doesn't work" does not get you as far as "I can't make it work, it is probably me, please can you help?" 

When I still had work and access to an IT dept. I once assked for advice, and was told "Turn it off and turn it back on again."   ?TIOATIBOA?  I said that was for idiots who had forgotten to plug it in at the mains.  "No, really, it sometimes works!"

It did.    Not that that would help your problems.   Glad first phase over!   (as the parachutist said as he left the aircraft)

John

Day 318.

wZywuA6eTC2mYmpO930iTw.jpg

This is the look achieved when you get home at 10pm from your 38th day in a row at work on a project that's been stretched from 30 days in a row to 40 due to the incompetance of the vendors project management staff, only to find that during the commute, the PM has sent an email detailing urgent undocumented work that has to be done before morning.

Fair to say there will be a rocket powered email going back.

8 hours ago, GT6MK3 said:

Day 318.

wZywuA6eTC2mYmpO930iTw.jpg

This is the look achieved when you get home at 10pm from your 38th day in a row at work on a project that's been stretched from 30 days in a row to 40 due to the incompetance of the vendors project management staff, only to find that during the commute, the PM has sent an email detailing urgent undocumented work that has to be done before morning.

Fair to say there will be a rocket powered email going back.

That's an impressive "hard stare", can you share the email you sent ;) 
Look after yourself, there is a limit to how much time you can spend working before it has a physical and mental detrimental effect.

mike

The email was measured, direct, mostly polite, and laid out 13 material breaches of his responsibilities I've been saving up till I needed them.  :dry:

It resulted in a phone conference this arvo where he predictably denied culpability for all of them, then offered up 5 figures worth of consultancy and staff retraining to resolve them and get the project back on track, so the desired result was achieved.  

Fair to say I'm tired, run down, and doing my best not to be grumpy, but I'm a goal oriented nerd, and there's certainly a part of my makup that relishes taking on what should be unrealistic challenges.

Gonna need a break soon though!

When I started by latest business I pushed the envelope to the edge in terms of burnout. My work/life balance was ridiculous. I was shattered but could not sleep, I could feel it was close to mental burnout. 

My wife spotted it , suggested I cut back, and then when I ignored her, she lost the plot on me.... probably saved me from myself bless her. Im glad you wont be pushed about Craig. Good for you. Because we all know they spend 30 seconds sending a "this needs to be done" e mail then move on, as they dont actually HAVE to do it. 

Project manager my arse. They cant do what yo do,  or they would be doing it.

Day 319.

fullsizeoutput_3d66.jpeg

A recount says thats the end of my 40th day straight at work.  The network is in, and it works.  53 staff are all happily making money for the boss.  The new practice management software is loaded, and the data from the old one is finally across, validated, and indexing.  The accounts team are onto the backprocessing, and will be working through the weekend.  Go live for the general staff awaits, and should be early next week.  I'll be back tomorrow to monitor performance loads and configure some more layers of backup.  My desk is a mess, my office ditto, but my screens are cleared off, and the back of my end of this project is well and truly broken. Daylight beckons, and if all goes well, Sunday will be a day off.