365 photos in 365 days

Yes, indeed!     If I had a scooter, if I lived in Oz, if I was as crazy as ... certain other people!     I might give it go.   But I don't, and I'm not.  The 10CR was enough.

Well done!

Did you post a link to the Mille website?    It hasn't been updated with results, but it shows the route, on this page: http://scootermille.weebly.com/the-route-2019.html

Enjoy your victory!  Oh, see FAQ page "Q. Is it a race?   A. No." 

So, 'achievement' then.

John

PS If you'ld like to know what Craigs's epic was like, the AA Route finder is your friend.    Go to:

https://www.theaa.com/route-planner/route?from=Loxton SA 5333, Australia&to=Berri SA 5343, Australia

Drop the little yellow man anywhere on the route (use the Mille site to pick two towns) and see what looks to me like typical Aussie countryside, open, bleak, even near to towns, and dry except near to rivers.  Did you carry lots of water?   J.  

Edited by JohnD

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's definately not a race.  That would be illegal...  The course was pretty epic, it ran through the arid areas you describe, but also followed the gorgoeus Murray river, zigzagged through the Barossa Valley (past the home of Penfolds Grange), wandered through the Riverland Citrus area, climbed through the Adelaide hills, and meadnered through the Salwater lagoons of the Coorong.  I can carry 2 litres of water in a hydro pack built into my jacket, and I filled and drank it both days - gotta stay hydrated.

To give you some idea of the fun we had, here's a youtube vid of I found when researching the roads after they released this years route - Corkscrew Road in the Adelaide Hills.  (Not my vid, just part of my research).

It's no Stevio Pass, but we did it (ahem) "briskly", and with no traffic and zero cyclists.

Nona's shopping trolley was moving and shaking...

Epic few days.

Yep.  Reality bites.

I meant to add something about out Kindle map books.  We researched the hell out of the route so we could run it at speed.  We looked at the whole route on Google Street view, and took screenshots of every turn we had to make (about 70 a day).  Then we screenshoted every segement between the turns, and turned the screenshots so our track would be from top to bottom.   We took those segment used a tablet and pen to write on them, and set them up so the segment then the photo would appear in turn.

Photo example:

055.JPG

Matching Segment

055b.jpg

The data on the segment told us what number the segment was, how long till the turn, which way the turn was, what type of turn, what direction, what the road name or number was, what the nearest sign or landmark was, and what our total elapsed km's to that point should be. 

So this was "Segment 55, 2km's till Left Turn at the Y off our current road at Paris Creek Road, Follw sign 'To Strathalbyn', total expected KM's 416."  The photo saved confusion as you came up to the turn.

Two of our team had the maps.  Michael would lead, stay on the current segment,  spot the turns and set the speeds.  I'd ride last, keeping the group together, calling out the turns in advance, and working up to a couple of segments ahead so we knew what was coming.  (we had bluetooth comms on our helmets).

It was our answer to the "No GPS maps rule, and it worked pretty well.  Lots of work though.

That must have been an enormous amount of work!      Scouting the course by Google Maps  is the thing, short of actually riding it, but I think you have reinvented rally course notes!

Those are the same as you have done, but in a notation that allows it to be wholly written, so that the navigator can read it back from a loose leaf notebook to the driver.     Usually composed by driving the course at less than competitive speed before hand.   Very compact indeed, and only requires pen and paper!

Many navs have their own notation, but there is a convention: https://www.automobilemag.com/news/a-beginners-guide-to-rally-pace-notes/

Having the Kindle equivalent in a text file would be easipeasy compared to what you have done.   Conversely, you may have improved on it, and could sell this as a product to rallyists!   Except that rally stages don't appear on Google maps!  Not in street view, anyway!

John

We found that you can upload images to the kindle direct, and they'll page through the images in a single directory in name/number order.

I looked at the rally notation thing last year John, but it was too hard to try to ride, translate, navigate and not crash all at once, so we stuck with the notations mostly written out (did kinda steal the symbols though).   Some of the stages were up to 30-40km's long, so being able to see the twists and turns of the road we were on was reassuring too.