Sign in to follow this  
JohnD

Out of this world

You will have heard that the New Horizons probe, after delivering close-up images of Pluto, has flown by another Oort cloud object, named Ultima Thule and has confirmed that it has recorded gigabytes worth of images of that.      It's so far away, and the power availbabe is so low that it will take the next three months to download the pictures (I know - bandwidth outside conurbations is rubbish!)

So we have that to wait for.  Meanwhile, this video is of the Pluto encounter, and to me is fascinating as you can look around you, as the video plays!   Enjoy!

https://www.nytimes.com/video/science/100000004657443/seeking-plutos-frigid-heart.html

Poor old Pluto.....downgraded by dictat of a committe to a planetissimal. New Horzons should have been named the Tombaugh Probe in recompense

Peter

Entirely possible, although NASA isn't likely to come up to the psychedelic extremities that Postgate and Firmin achieved.

J.

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Entirely possible, although NASA isn't likely to come up to the psychedelic extremities that Postgate and Firmin achieved.

J.

NASA cant compete with China on psychedelic simulations. The dark side of the moon probe is depicted landing with Earth in the background.....

P

35 minutes ago, PeterC said:

The dark side of the moon probe is depicted landing with Earth in the background.....

I can see a rather obvious problem with that :biggrin:

Peter!   There is nothing "dark" about the side of the Moon that we can't see!  Except during the two week night that the Moon's day duration imposes.

Took quite a search to discover what you saw!  From the fourth of these CCTV videos,  about their rover: 

Edited by JohnD

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

Thread drift on an interplanetary scale...... and that's just the physical..... :biggrin:

Oh, I don't know, plenty of students used to watch the Clangers, and Magic Roundabout, while they were, shall we say, "Out of this world"?

J.

3 hours ago, JohnD said:

Oh, I don't know, plenty of students used to watch the Clangers, and Magic Roundabout, while they were, shall we say, "Out of this world"?

J.

This is true.  Although in the early 80s, our lunchtime break was strictly moderated around Postman Pat.

Or so I'm told.  I don't quite remember seeing it myself...

Paul