Sign in to follow this  
PeterC

Food security and climate change

Well thats a positive start to 2019 Peter.

I don't think I saw anything but depression there, food wars are obvious given the population explosion thats occurring.

Judging by the IQ level of our politicians in recent times, and the leader of the worlds most powerful economy being a complete "Cressida"

we are already lost.

3 hours ago, Pfen said:

Well thats a positive start to 2019 Peter.

I don't think I saw anything but depression there, food wars are obvious given the population explosion thats occurring.

Judging by the IQ level of our politicians in recent times, and the leader of the worlds most powerful economy being a complete "Cressida"

we are already lost.

Pete,

I prefer to think forewarned is forarmed.....but suspect its a forlorn prospect, our political systems cannot respond. I know the author of that talk and our conversations are as bleak as can be imagined.  Supporting 9 billion is a fantasy, and that gives an idea of when the collapse will arrive....    

The Astronomer Royal was has anohter approach, based upon totalling up the past human numbers, current growth and a reasonable assumption we are probably mid-way in number. He reckons too its our final century.

Peter

6 minutes ago, David Butterworth said:

I know it's mine Peter, more likely my last decade....lol

Dave

Me too, Dave. Our consolation is we wont see the worst yet to come. We baby boomers have been extraordinarily fortunate. Peter

Hi Pete,

the human race is extremely resilient in one form or another.

Should our population be such that we can no longer cater to nourish our people leaders will gang together and allow the weak to die off.

Firstly in opther countries that have endemic famine. And then within countries that havea resource but too many mouths.

China, Russia etc will simply let the lower classes to perish.

And that is without war.

Just like certain car clubs - those members whose faces fit will be fed, those that don;t fit will be expelled to the back of the queue.

Roger

Silly isn't it? We've only been here a blink of an eye compared to the age of the Universe, and yet we are able too progress so much and it could all be gone within this century. They say animals are stupid but we top the lot I think.

Dave

That's an interesting concept, Roger.  It had never occurred to me before that certain car clubs pursue a sophisticated policy of eugenics.  But it makes sense - Survivors as the master race, passing judgement on inferior Restored and Modified beings.

By the way, Russia had been doing excellent work in contributing to population control.  Around the turn of the millennium, it had successfully lowered (male) life expectancy to below 65, by a combination of vodka, extreme cold and considerable violence.  However, much of that work has since been undone and they are now careering upwards past the 70-year mark.  What went wrong?

A timely reminder of the good Dr Malthus is in order.

Paul

40 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Pete,

the human race is extremely resilient in one form or another.

Should our population be such that we can no longer cater to nourish our people leaders will gang together and allow the weak to die off.

Firstly in opther countries that have endemic famine. And then within countries that havea resource but too many mouths.

China, Russia etc will simply let the lower classes to perish.

And that is without war.

Just like certain car clubs - those members whose faces fit will be fed, those that don;t fit will be expelled to the back of the queue.

Roger

Hi Roger,  I suspect the cull wont take all humans. Some humans do come through with some tech expertise intact. If I'm wrong then ufos really are alien, and not our decendants from the far future !   Peter

8 minutes ago, David Butterworth said:

Silly isn't it? We've only been here a blink of an eye compared to the age of the Universe, and yet we are able too progress so much and it could all be gone within this century. They say animals are stupid but we top the lot I think.

Dave

Dave, We are animals, that's the problem. The veneer of civilisation deludes us into thinking we are in control of our destiny...whereas 'nature' is in control. Peter

7 minutes ago, PaulAA said:

That's an interesting concept, Roger.  It had never occurred to me before that certain car clubs pursue a sophisticated policy of eugenics.  But it makes sense - Survivors as the master race, passing judgement on inferior Restored and Modified beings.

By the way, Russia had been doing excellent work in contributing to population control.  Around the turn of the millennium, it had successfully lowered (male) life expectancy to below 65, by a combination of vodka, extreme cold and considerable violence.  However, much of that work has since been undone and they are now careering upwards past the 70-year mark.  What went wrong?

A timely reminder of the good Dr Malthus is in order.

Paul

Hi Paul,  One day Malthus' pessimism will prove true, sadly.  Peter

Hi Peter

I think it depends on the definition of pessimism!  Much of his work was simply an exercise in pragmatism, especially in the connection between population and food.

And he is probably even more relevant now, as we stare into this generation's equivalent of the Corn Laws...

Paul

The penny hasn't dropped at all for some, the paper's today were lauding celebs for having large families.

4 Rooney's.

4 Beckam's.

5 Ramsey's.

and one "special" family now living in what once was an old folks home have 20 children, and another on the way. they are proud parents!!

Were doomed