Distributors

Hello All

I have been working on a 1977 MGB and I think the distributor may be B****red

I checked the static timing with a meter and it seemed right(will recheck) but when I managed to get it to tick over at about 900/1000 rpm and check with a timing light the mark was way around the pulley (probably the full advance position!)

I will remove it and have a look inside to see if both springs are still there!

I have been looking at the options and it looks like £300+ at distributor doctor £100 at moss(exchange) or new (Fleabay) £60

Has anybody know if these are any good or just a bag of S**t

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-41610-Distributor-45D-for-MG-MGB-MGB-GT-1974-1980/253460469422?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Roger

There are quite a few suppliers (though maybe only one manufacturer) for “will fit” Lucas type distributors, with and without electronic ignition. Quality seems fair in terms of build quality but the match of mechanical and vacuum curves to OE is a bit doubtful.

For best results a rebuild of the original by the Distributor Doctor or H  & H is the way to go, though more costly.

Distributors are pretty simple things though so may be fixable with a good clean and re-lube......

Hello All

I had another look at the static timing today and it was way out?????(now I know I am getting old)but its only an MGB!

So reset it with a tester and got the B***er started but still seemed over advanced then over lunch remembered I had not disconnected the vacuum advance pipe !!!!!

It seems ok now but now I have lost the power feed to the electric fan??????

I think it just want's to stay in my garage for the winter?

Roger

DSC08260.JPG

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:15 PM, PaulAA said:

Never mind the car - look at Roger's garage!  He's even got carpet on the floor!

Hello All

I do in fact have carpet on the floor of the garage(recycled! does that make me green?) but then I put cardboard on top to soak the oil up(recycled wine delivery cases! green again!) 

Then when they get nice and oily I have a nice big bonfire(not so green so they tell me?)

All this beats the S***t out of lying on a cold concrete floor and better on the old knees!

PC Roger (well maybe?)

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

No argument. No carpet either (it got too gross, no more donated to date), but yes to cardboard.

might have to get some of that foam matting.... me bones do ache these days after lying on cold concrete, even with a couple of layers of cardboard between.

Hello Nick

The interlock foam matting is good as well I bought some to put down on the patio when the grandchildren were crawling etc

If you look on Fleabay there is usually some cheap stuff but the gym stuff is better

The only trouble with carpet is you often can not see small parts(may be just my old eyes?)

Roger