Early Christmas present

rogerguzzi

Hello All

I ordered a set of open/ring metric spanners and 2 led lamps (all on offer at a Big online car spares  company)

I had an email saying there would be a delay as one was not in stock etc.

Then a couple of days later had a text saying all on the way(2 separate boxes?)

When I open the bigger box I thought B****r these hand lamps are bigger than I thought? 

But on opening the boxes I find they had sent 2 boxes of 6!!!! all the right part numbers?

Now my dilemma is should I tell them or just give them as Christmas presents? (daft question really I know!) 

Roger

DSC02366.JPG

Just seen your follow-up!

It's a young bird, short tail.  Yours has very subdued plumage, when most UK raptors have markings from the fledgling stage.  But buzzards are the most variable, so I'd go for that.

You saw 5 together?  late brood?  Buzzards are very vocal, especially in family group.  Did you hear calls?

JOhn

14 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello All

I ordered a set of open/ring metric spanners and 2 led lamps (all on offer at a Big online car spares  company)

I had an email saying there would be a delay as one was not in stock etc.

Then a couple of days later had a text saying all on the way(2 separate boxes?)

When I open the bigger box I thought B****r these hand lamps are bigger than I thought? 

But on opening the boxes I find they had sent 2 boxes of 6!!!! all the right part numbers?

Now my dilemma is should I tell them or just give them as Christmas presents? (daft question really I know!) 

Roger

DSC02366.JPG

Tell them.

Previously with such an occurrence I have been thanked for my honesty and told to keep the extra items.

The bird is a buzzard by the way.

Ian.

I guess this is eurocarparts or their sister company?

A friend ordered 2 bulbs from CarParts4less. And yep, 2 boxes(2x10) arrived. Free postage too....

They have an issue methinks..

Saying that, a chappie who did some work for me bought a sledgehammer from screwfix. Kiddie struggled with a box, dumped it on the counter. To be fair, there was a pic on the end of a sledgehammer. Chappie walks out with the box, struggling a bit. Yep, 6 in the box.....

Makes me wonder if some employees do it to stick 2 fingers up to their employers.

3 hours ago, JohnD said:

Just seen your follow-up!

It's a young bird, short tail.  Yours has very subdued plumage, when most UK raptors have markings from the fledgling stage.  But buzzards are the most variable, so I'd go for that.

You saw 5 together?  late brood?  Buzzards are very vocal, especially in family group.  Did you hear calls?

JOhn

Hello John

We see them on a regular basis by us.

I have seen as many as 12 circling on a thermal and getting smaller and smaller until they were just dots

That photo was taken back in spring/summer and yes we hear them as well

Roger

ps back to cars! this would be a nice Bond to own

DSC08249.JPG

I feel a separate 'What's your favourite Raptor' thread coming on.

We see all sorts around here - including Buzzards, Red Kites, Peregrines, and the Sparrow Hawk in my post above. That was on the road just outside our Village Hall, happily devouring the pigeon it had smashed out of the sky

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

It couldn't be a red kite could it?    Groups of them more likely than buzzards.

Is that a Bond "Doodlebug"?  http://bondcars.net/Racing cars.htm   Where did you see it?

John

Hello John

We do not see red kites around here a kestrel now and then and green woodpecker and brown one.

The buzzards seem to breed well around here in the spring we see them circling and calling to their young

We saw the Bond at the Classic Car Show at NEC

Roger

DSC08250.JPG

DSC08251.JPG

Gosh, Graeme!  I thought at first Sea Eagles, Ernes?   Biggest UK bird!  I know they are recolonising the Scottish coast after being introduced, so where are you?   I've never seen one -but I've looked for them!

But then - the white parts are too well defined - American bald eagle??

John

12 hours ago, Hamish said:

Buzzards do share a good worming field 

here in Cheshire you can see 10 to 15 in the same field on the ground  

Wonderful big  raptor. 

Buzzards, like the other birds of prey we have in the UK, are not sociable.
However Hamish, as you observed, they will tolerate each other in close proximity if food is plentiful.
This behaviour is not the same as sociable birds such as rooks who share the responsibility for finding food and
watching for danger.

Ian

We had a resident Sparrowhawk (female) for a while at our last house.  She liked the (initially) high pigeon density.  After a while they were gone!

P1050963c.jpg

Where we are now we have buzzards.  Lots of buzzards.  I've seen 5 circling at a time.  But never get close to them.  Also many crows/rooks as there is a big rookery about 500m away.  This creates tensions between crows and buzzards, which can be entertaining to watch.

Some of the more interesting regular avian visitors to the garden itself include
A pair of green woodpeckers plus, in the late summer, their two offspring.  Great to see them all boinging about on the lawn mopping up the ants.  Shy though, so no decent pics.
Lesser spotted woodpecker
Bullfinches
Goldfinches

4 legged wildlife includes
multitudes of bushy-tailed tree-rats (aka grey squirrels) - vermin!
Foxes
Badgers.  See the evidence (holes!) more often than the actual animal
Rabbits
Young male roe deer (who is unwelcome 'cause he eats things not meant for him!)

A friend of mine, on visiting her father's grave in Kincardine was appalled by the wanton destruction of flowers throughout.
It was always the same, then, on one visit she witnessed this destruction taking place.

The "culprits" were a pair of roe deer!

Ian.

Sitting on a boat moored in the entrance dyke of a Norfolk Broads boatyard I heard a loud screeching sound. Turning to look I saw a Kingfisher flying at full chat about 4ft above the water and parallel to the bankside hedge, followed by a Sparrow Hawk about 10ft behind it. The Kingfisher then performs a 90deg left turn, seemingly without slowing down, through a hole in the hedge closely followed by the Sparrow Hawk.  I would love to know the outcome, but of course never found out.

On another occasion we've had a row of fledgling Kingfishers sitting on the boat's pulpit waiting to be fed by the parents, and also had a Marsh Harrier flying close alongside the boat while we were pottering along at about 4 knots.  Birds certainly do not seem to be so wary of humans when they are "disguised" within and on boats.  Same goes for Otters too.

• 2 weeks later...