O2

Janner

Yep, except the EMP would kill all networks equally and voice as well....... The wailing and knashing of teeth would be immense but difficult to share!

As a giffgaff user I’m theoretically affected by the O2 outage. Or I would be if my Nokia 6310i “wireless telephone“ actually had any use for data.

• 1 month later...

That was then.  I got involved in Directed Energy Weaponry (on the defensive) in a very small way back in the 90s.  At that time the "pointy" end of the weapon was quite small, maybe 3 feet long.  The power supply however was the size of a pantechnicon.  I imagine things have progressed quite a bit since then.

Oh. My. Gods.   No mobile phone, I mean, like complete disaster, darlings!

Come on, man up.   The whole point of the internet is and was resilience by redundancy.  From its foundation in ARPANET, it was designed to work even if major parts were taken out by a REAL, nuclear bomb.

John

12 hours ago, JohnD said:

The whole point of the internet is and was resilience by redundancy.  From its foundation in ARPANET, it was designed to work even if major parts were taken out by a REAL, nuclear bomb.

John

Net system redundancy perhaps John - but all the 'net needs mains power so if the electrical generating or distribution network is taken out, you lose everything in the area affected.  Grid power distribution systems are controlled using electronics these days and in England and Wales It's all run from one point in Wokingham.  I hope that system is emp-proof ('hardened' is the term used).

When I started working life in a telephone exchange each block of subscribers equipment had an isolation switch. In the event of war / disaster the switches would be thrown and your telephone / broadband would be disabled apart from certain "priority" subscribers.

Presumably with the rise of electronics the disconnect methods  have changed but I wonder if the national principle of disconnection of  the masses and retaining "priority" circuits only still exists. 

At any time, with or without a bomb, all communications could, probably still can, be withdrawn.

Alan

That certainly happened at the London 2005 bombings.   My son was in Lonodn, but we couldn't contact him to check his safety - he was fine, of course.     The rationale was that bombs could be ignited by phone and successive explosions could be planned to lure people and emergency services into their destruction zones.     In addition, there would of course be a flood of calls, just like ours, both ways, and it was considered that 'bandwidth' (don't ask me) should be preserved for the emergency services.  I imagine that in an old hard-wired switchboard the same would apply - there are a non-infinite number of connections possible and in a disaster, is it better to use what you have to coordinate services or  tolet the victims chat, even to let their families know they are OK, or not?

Its a Utilitarian, greatest good for the greatest number argument.

John

Preference is still in the voice and mobile networks. It’ll be all IP in 5 years or so which enables sophisticated shaping of traffic flows. On the voice network the philosophy runs that if your call has no chance of completion because lots of people are trying to connect to the same destination the you will be bounced at source.