Sign in to follow this  
Crawfie

New Dr Who

Peter,

"Forward into someoen elses' time is allowed in Special Raltivity- just move very fast compared with them , your time dilates and you meet them again in their future. But you cant go back."

I thought that your speedy traveller's time slowed down in relation to the stay-at-home.    For a photon at lightspeed time stops, that's why photons are such stable particles.    Less time has passed for the traveller, so they will be younger than their realatives when they get home, but that is not the same as being in their future.   Semantic maybe, but not time travel as we think of it.

And, "Real scientists " never read ufo stuff, its regarded as pulp fiction. But the few who have seen a ufo are in no doubt of a real physical event, yet inexplicable by current scinece."    I'm not a 'scientist', I'm a physician, but I half qualify, and I've seen a UFO!   It fired me not with faith, but determination, to take compass readings of its descent that enabled me to find the landing site.   Of a fire balloon.

John

7 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Peter,

"Forward into someoen elses' time is allowed in Special Raltivity- just move very fast compared with them , your time dilates and you meet them again in their future. But you cant go back."

I thought that your speedy traveller's time slowed down in relation to the stay-at-home.    For a photon at lightspeed time stops, that's why photons are such stable particles.    Less time has passed for the traveller, so they will be younger than their realatives when they get home, but that is not the same as being in their future.   Semantic maybe, but not time travel as we think of it.

And, "Real scientists " never read ufo stuff, its regarded as pulp fiction. But the few who have seen a ufo are in no doubt of a real physical event, yet inexplicable by current scinece."    I'm not a 'scientist', I'm a physician, but I half qualify, and I've seen a UFO!   It fired me not with faith, but determination, to take compass readings of its descent that enabled me to find the landing site.   Of a fire balloon.

John

Yes the speedy traveller's time dilates, passes more slowly. So fewer hours pass for him while she stays at home. When they next meet fewer hours have passed for him, so he is now in her future. Or you can say he is in her past. Its relative: there's no fixed "time point" to use as a datum.

Relativity does not explain "now".  Our high speed traveller does not move out of the stay-at-home's "now".  "Now" is puzzling...eg how long is "now" ?  If there were two type of time perhaps "relative time" and "now" can be reconciled. Two time dimensions have been proposed:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itzhak_Bars

95% of ufo reports prove to be not ufos. Venus accounts for 30%, hoaxes 1%, metoers and re-entry space debris 30%...  chinese lanterns, parachute flares, lasers, aircraft, satellites etc account for another ca 30%.

SInce becoming interested I ask aquaintances and it is surprising how many have seen unmistakalbe ufos including a flying torpedo, and a disc with humanoids. None were reported, and ufologists reckon only 10% get reported to newspapers or police: witnesses fear ridicule.  

Peter

I must be able to time-travel unconsciously, sometimes when the wife and I argue discuss problems, minor misdemeanours from years ago are raised as if it just happened yesterday.

Alan

45 minutes ago, AB|W said:

I must be able to time-travel unconsciously, sometimes when the wife and I argue discuss problems, minor misdemeanours from years ago are raised as if it just happened yesterday.

No I think that is now accepted as the 5th law of the physics of the Universe!

2 hours ago, PeterC said:

An early Tunguska ?

Energetic particles from a nearby supernova may have wiped out big marine animals:

https://phys.org/news/2018-12-supernovae-large-ocean-animals-dawn.html

What's next ?

Peter

They've just had another wipe out Peter, it wasn't a supernova, it was called isis. Destroyed loads of cities and killed thousands.

Dave

HI Fellow Who'ites,

have you spotted that the TV channel 'Yesterday' are doing a triple installment  of DR.Who repeats at 6pm on a Saturday.

yesterday's offering had Torchwood. Daleks. Cybermen  in  a double bill.

It was the one where the four Dalek advance party come down from the Sphere. They ask Rose.' who is the man in the background' of a video clip.

She says that is the Doctor.  You can see all four Daleks are visibly shaken - a small movement backwards and their eye pod moving upwards - excellent

The recent incarnation is awful.

Roger

4 hours ago, RogerH said:

HI Fellow Who'ites,

have you spotted that the TV channel 'Yesterday' are doing a triple installment  of DR.Who repeats at 6pm on a Saturday.

yesterday's offering had Torchwood. Daleks. Cybermen  in  a double bill.

It was the one where the four Dalek advance party come down from the Sphere. They ask Rose.' who is the man in the background' of a video clip.

She says that is the Doctor.  You can see all four Daleks are visibly shaken - a small movement backwards and their eye pod moving upwards - excellent

The recent incarnation is awful.

Roger

Watched it !!

love the Cybermen