What Tyre Size for a TR6

Chris W

It's ok, I don't really want to know, I just thought I would kick things off with what is probably the most frequently asked question on the TRRF.  I also don't want to know whether Michelin ZAS are worth the money or are Vred Classic Sprints, just as good.

Seriously, thanks to Sideways for giving us this opportunity, I hope it will prove a fruitful partnership.

Cheers

Chris

Chris,   I found 205s are too squishy in hard cornering, but straight line braking the best I've ever achieved. 165s I uses to run way back when the 6 was the daily driver lacked braking grip, the front end broke away badly in the wet. I now use 195s - no rubbery cornering and hard braking almost as good as 205s. However, I have also changed the suspension ad that will influnce comparisons between tyres. Peter

3 minutes ago, PeterC said:

Chris,   I found 205s are too squishy in hard cornering, but straight line braking the best I've ever achieved. 165s I uses to run way back when the 6 was the daily driver lacked braking grip, the front end broke away badly in the wet. I now use 195s - no rubbery cornering and hard braking almost as good as 205s. However, I have also changed the suspension ad that will influnce comparisons between tyres. Peter

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Michelins are much more expensive than Vredesteins and are indeed value for money. But I haven't found a source that can tell me that the Michelin prices are worth the money in comparison with the Vredesteins. For me, Vredesteins it is.

Added to that: Vredestein has linked itself (at least over here) with the classic car scene and -despite the original look of the tyre- they have put a lot of modern technology to match their current tyre with classic car driving.

Menno

57 minutes ago, DeTRacted said:

Well Chris, after the success of this one you could always follow up with a topic on engine oil ....:cool:

Nothing like a good TRR debate on if Halfords Classic Mineral 20W50 is the golden elixir that will keep a TR running on original Main & BE shells for 40 years and half a million miles, or is about as effective as filling the sump with a sand cement slurry :ass: 

We could do with a discussion on ZDDP too. If only we had someone here that knew something about it :bow:

One of my favourite topics is which gear oil to use with an overdrive. Always surprised to hear the different opinions on that one. 

Edited by TR5tar

14 minutes ago, TR5tar said:

We could do with a discussion on ZDDP too. If only we had someone here that knew something about it :bow:

One of my favourite topics is which gear oil to use with an overdrive. Always surprised to hear the different opinions on that one. 

It needs you to start the thread .....

:ninja:

“if you build it they will come”

2 minutes ago, Hamish said:

It needs you to start the thread .....

“if you build it they will come”

Quite right Hamish, but I was joking about the ZDDP thread. We do have have threads on ST discussing ZDDP and some very knowledgeable forumites on the issue. Prof. Peter for one. 

Humour is not always conveyed well online.  

38 minutes ago, TR5tar said:

Quite right Hamish, but I was joking about the ZDDP thread. We do have have threads on ST discussing ZDDP and some very knowledgeable forumites on the issue. Prof. Peter for one. 

Humour is not always conveyed well online.  

Yeah I get the humour hence the 

1 hour ago, TR5tar said:

Short answer: if an engine oil is safe with cat convertors it will be looooow in ZDDP..

Peter

Favo topics?

• R&P steering: yea or nea?
  • Do I need a Harmonic Damper?
  • My new S/screens do not fit properly when it's raining cats and dogs
  • Do you feel the difference when you opt for the hardest suspension bushes?
  • A or J Type Overdrive in my car. What to choose?

43 minutes ago, MennoR said:

Favo topics?

• R&P steering: yea or nea?
  • Do I need a Harmonic Damper?
  • My new S/screens do not fit properly when it's raining cats and dogs
  • Do you feel the difference when you opt for the hardest suspension bushes?
  • A or J Type Overdrive in my car. What to choose?

Nea 

no

dont bother with them at all. 

No

A (22% with 3.7:1 diff)

glad that is out of the way. 

( oh and valvoline VR1 mineral oil changed every few years whether it needs it or not)