Nick B.

10CR 2019 - who is in?

We're doing it again in Geoffrey,  he loves Alps!  We're also going to do the CF Gorges de Verdon trip in June just to keep the miles up!

MIke, I really loathe MX5 seats, so will stick with the TR6 originals, although the Drivers needs to have some work.

1 hour ago, TimBancroft said:

MIke, I really loathe MX5 seats, so will stick with the TR6 originals, although the Drivers needs to have some work.

ok but they are rather comfortable compared to the original seats! At least put one in the passenger side..... 
And they recline and fit unlike lots of other options....

I did replace all the foam in GT6 and the seat was great afterwards but the TR6 seats on mine just seemed too low at the back so replaced them with MX5 and then when  I sold it gave the old seats to new owner!

Mike

Tim,

You can get MX5 seats with separate headrests which perhaps look more appropriate.  Though having said that, a friend has an earlyish US TR6 which has seats that look a bit like the MX5 Tombstone type.

Nick

I am also going. Loved it in 2017 with my brother in my TR4, maybe he is going or maybe a friend is coming. I am always amazed how comfortable these tiny original seats are in the TR4 (which is a great car for this kind of event).

Nah, gonna stick with the TR6 seats. Both me and SHWBO have done 300 miles in 5 hours in the TR6, no problem with the seats...smaller statue helps!

TR6 Pi: Think I will stick some SUs on her! 

Hoping to do a few things to the car: 123 dizzy, electronic tacho conversion, 15'' 7J Minilites and the dreaded gearbox re-build. Very experienced in Saloon and GT6 gearbox removal, dreading the job in the TR6. Still the clutch is all new. 

Must admit I rather the GT6 and the Saloon as drivers cars. Nice to drive a Triumph sports cars with long legs though.

Jobs to do................

Convert car to manual overdrive

Dizzy Doctor dizzy

Uprated driveshafts

Quaife hubs

Uprated prop

Koni Shocks all round

LED lights on rear

Install DAB radio

Fit nos rear lamps

and more probably :) 

Tom

3 hours ago, TimBancroft said:

Nah, gonna stick with the TR6 seats. Both me and SHWBO have done 300 miles in 5 hours in the TR6, no problem with the seats...smaller statue helps!

TR6 Pi: Think I will stick some SUs on her! 

Hoping to do a few things to the car: 123 dizzy, electronic tacho conversion, 15'' 7J Minilites and the dreaded gearbox re-build. Very experienced in Saloon and GT6 gearbox removal, dreading the job in the TR6. Still the clutch is all new. 

Must admit I rather the GT6 and the Saloon as drivers cars. Nice to drive a Triumph sports cars with long legs though.

The GT6 always feels part of you, the TR6 is a great tourer but is a big heavy car somehow just not the same as a GT6.
I loved my GT6 but it never liked me, I never fell in love with the TR6, I liked it but it was a bit like having a fierce dog never sure if you trusted it!
So all I have now is my Herald, bit like my cat, old, very furry and a bit of a pest!

BTW keep the PI much more fun than a couple of SU's just lean it a bit before heading into the alps (and get a job lot of Plugs just in case)....

Mike

Standard TR6 seats are fine for the 10CR.  I have these in mine, and if you have some 4-point harnesses, they will hold you in position fine.  Also helps if the seats are original, and not rebuilt. You tend to sit 'in' them, rather than 'on' them.

Cheers.

I was not serious about slinging the PI., love the instant response. However, my old saloon feels so good on HS6s, very reluctant to fit the Pi gear to that car that has resided in the shed for these past 15 years..I cannot believe I have now owned that car for 15 years!!!!

Brought the Saloon to work on Monday, real laugh battling with the moderns on the M25/M40 at 06.30hrs in the rain, many just got out of the way as they seemed to be confused by the round lights!!!

So, after being TR-less since March!, the final frustration (to date anyway!) is that we still have no car in time to do the 10CR and have had to withdraw.  Gutted. But having "invested" (is that the right word!!??) so much in a pretty comprehensive mechanical rebuild I'm not prepared to run the new engine in on the event and retorque the head halfway up an alp. There will be other events and I'm pretty sure that the Alps will be there next year! (They may be fractionally higher!).

The consolation is that "Geoffrey" - for that is the car's name - will be in fine fettle when he eventually comes home hopefully in time for my "significant" birthday........

Posted (edited)

I have withdrawn as well.
Really wanted to do it my daughter Libby. I did our first one with her, now she has a 4.5 year old daughter who starts school the same week as the 10CR so she could not go!
Scary how fast time change.
But really miss the buzz (panic?) as the date creeps close to the start of the 10CR......

Mike

Edited by mpbarrett

Just got the spitfire down off stands. New concentric clutch bearing seems to work well if a tad heavy. (Could be my imagination) and a quick spin seemscto give the impression all is well.

Waiting for some freelander OEM ujs tonrepkacevtgevmid range GKN ones I recently fitted tongue propshaft. (I have one, a good buy off eBay, but want to do both) and I feel educated on props and ujs after a few phonecalls and info from some websites. 

About to refit the sounds into the car, and a 70mile round trip to visit the MIL this afternoon. 

May need to chop the exhaust a tad too, improving prop alignment means if is an inch lower than before. It was a bit low then:confused:

I packed the large pile of spares, tools and fluids into the Spitfire's boot today, and there is very little room left for spare clothes, travel bags and other such fripperies.

I can report that it takes about three to four minutes to empty a new, full, can of WD40 if you are careful enough to precisely align the nozzle with the bootlid's underframe as you close the bootlid.

Luckily, the nozzle was pointing backwards and so most of the 500ml just flooded the bottom trough at the valance/floor, so was not too bad to clear up. But the car now stinks and Mrs SS did ask if I had a dead fish hidden somewhere in the car.

On 2/2/2019 at 9:12 PM, mpbarrett said:

Stick in a couple of MX5 seats, fit well in a TR6 and there is a fitting kit from someone. Much much better than the originals.... Keep the originals in case you sell her.
Hope you have a good supply of sparkplugs ready for the TR6 and the alps! Or at least a set of spanners to tweak the MU before head up the alps :)
Actually TR6 and the alps is great fun, what the car was made for... :)

mike

I took MIke's advice and bought some separate headrest style MX5 seats, yes, they enhance the car and more importantly do not give Ginnie back ache. 

The TR6 is ready, have now fitted Minilite 7J wheels (7j with Herald wheel bearings...what can go wrong) with Uniroyal tyres, very Keyesque. Tom's car is a such a beaut that one has to do similar things.

I ended up buying an exchange box from Dave Pearson and after finding that the A type was so sloooooooow, bought a recon unit from Dave Twigger at O'D spares in Rugby (Top service and assistance). I have a few things to do to the car, new steering rack bushes and take out the Lumention system and replace with a 123 Dizzy. Hope to go into the garage at 07.00 and do those jobs this morning.

PI running in the Alps: Yes, I have pessimistically bought two sets of NGK plugs, but hope to have a play with the PI with one or two Lucas experts on Tuesday night. 

Looking forward to the event......as ever I expect the fun to be the Alps and Dolomites.

14 hours ago, sparky_spit said:

I can report that it takes about three to four minutes to empty a new, full, can of WD40 if you are careful enough to precisely align the nozzle with the bootlid's underframe as you close the bootlid.

I have to say that that is a remarkable achievement and worthy of some praise.  If you'd tried to align the nozzle with the boot lid frame, you would never have achieved it.  Better halves never seem to appreciate the poetry of these things.

There ought to be a thread on Darwin Award-type automotive achievements.  Perhaps divided between the accidental and the monumentally stupid (treating the leather washer on the oil pressure gauge pipe mounting as an optional extra would be my contribution in the second category).

Paul

On 8/24/2019 at 10:29 PM, Sidescreen Ben said:

So, after being TR-less since March!, the final frustration (to date anyway!) is that we still have no car in time to do the 10CR and have had to withdraw.  Gutted. But having "invested" (is that the right word!!??) so much in a pretty comprehensive mechanical rebuild I'm not prepared to run the new engine in on the event and retorque the head halfway up an alp. There will be other events and I'm pretty sure that the Alps will be there next year! (They may be fractionally higher!).

The consolation is that "Geoffrey" - for that is the car's name - will be in fine fettle when he eventually comes home hopefully in time for my "significant" birthday........

Awhh shame ... is Vicky's Spitfire not on the road?  You could always aim to do Monte Classique in early February! ...plenty mountain passes in the south of France - and Geoffrey would be reliving part of TR Rallying History. 

4 hours ago, TimBancroft said:

Yes, I have pessimistically bought two sets of NGK plugs,

Can I suggest something (anything!) other than NGK plugs....... My PI experiences with NGK are woeful.  They simply cannot handle soaking with fuel (especially when fairly new) and die permanently.  This seems to be due to the insulators not being glazed and may depend on whether they are French or Japanese made (don't know which).  I am far from the only one to report this problem and it is not restricted to PI owners either.

My personal favourites are Bosch but Denso also make a very decent plug.

4 hours ago, TimBancroft said:

(7j with Herald wheel bearings...what can go wrong)

Take spares...... Timken ones!

1 hour ago, Greta said:

Awhh shame ... is Vicky's Spitfire not on the road?  You could always aim to do Monte Classique in early February! ...plenty mountain passes in the south of France - and Geoffrey would be reliving part of TR Rallying History. 

I've not even got Spitty home yet, she's still in the potato shed! Back in the spring, just as I was getting excited about the project, Geoffrey (the TR) went in to get his oil leak fixed.  Well, once investigations began, that project grew arms and legs, my budget got spent and the Spitty project got pushed to the back burner. I have at least found someone willing to lend me a trailer to drag it back from Suffolk and a place to store it down here, so the logistics planning has been done!  I've been in touch with our former neighbour farmer who has the Spit at the moment and told him that I will collect it when it is convenient for him.  At the moment, he will be in the thick of harvest, so realistically, it will be late autumn before I can get it.  

The good news is, that this year's experience with the TR has shown Ben how useful it would be to have a back-up car.  We had to do the French Tour in our modern, and it is just not the same.  I'm still dead keen to do the Spitfire and am looking forward to the challenge.  Having said that, with all the work we are having done on the TR, we shouldn't need a back-up car, but don't tell Ben! 

We are really looking forward to having the TR back, and it so nearly happened the time for the 10CR, but we have done the right thing in not taking a car that won't be tested properly.  We would be idiots to risk undoing all the good work.  The Monte Classique looks great fun...….I'm very tempted.  Geoffrey could relive some of the Monte Challenge which he completed in 1991(2nd in class) and 1992 (3rd in class) with his PO.

Vicky x

I am still in. I did not do as much prep as I wished for. More or less just oilservice.

Hopefully I can do without new seats, dellortos and megajolt.

See you in the alps (hopefully)

Went through the spares shed today attempting to find something, found some Densos, so will take 6 of those plus 6 NGK. 

Took the car out for a longish drive today, no problem in the heat, in fact no problems...............!!!! Well apart from an annoying rattle!