10CR 2019 - who is in?

Nick B.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best wishes to all competitors participants!

During the recent Mongol Rally, the progress of our favourite rallyists David Wotherspoon and Mike Jenic in their Herald Estate (https://www.facebook.com/mongoltriumph) could be followed on Google Maps, as they reported in regularly  (See:http://track.mongoltriumph.com/?fbclid=IwAR1y8qpB8b3rvg0wnd9SQnPoTF1mDm-4opuiguVJjvYqCes5C4F-eNkbY5c) .     

Can us stay-at-homes do that for anyone on the 10CR?

Be good to follow your exploits!

John

Edited by JohnD

Hmm....... 6p’s? Or is that unkind?

Followed a late 60s Opel Kadett (Viva HA) down the Italian side of the Grand St Bernard pass this afternoon. Occupied by a newlywed couple from Belgium. It was VERY slow and VERY smokey. I thought the smoke might subside when things flattened out and it was under load but it got even worse and they eventually pulled over. Hope it’s not terminal but it was clearly very sick.

Was a bit surreal as we had a Tesla model S separating us!

Have been at the  "Ring" on Saturday. Heavy rain. Only limited attendance at the parking area at the entrance of the Nordschleife. Unfortunately I had to leave at 3pm. Nice talks with the crews. On the way back I saw many Triumphs on the opposite lane. Seems due to the weather there was a delay in the schedule.

Martin

10CR NR 2019.jpg

Edited by Martin

Well we made it.

A couple of hiccups with a leaking heater hose connection, heavy rain soaking the fuse box (WD40 sorted that) but apart from that, the hastily installed 1296 engine behaved like it had never been taken out.

Super event; superb route. Probably the best yet we thought.  Rolduc beer as intoxicating as ever.

spit on gloss.jpg

Edited by sparky_spit

We had a great trip. The final attempt at the concentric clutch slave cylinder worked a treat. In fact I never put a spanner on the car. I did top the oil up about an expresso cupful, but that may have been paranoia. Did the same to the water header tank.

I did learn that prop vibration can seemingly appear despite a quick test at home, and props need balancing after UJ swaps.

In fact our group was largely trouble free. Or at least the cars..

Much cake, tea/coffee. beer and steak consumed. Whats not to like? Oh, the roads were pretty decent too... 

We also had a great trip. The car behaved almost nice. I ran into distributor problems after first day. The electronic ignition module went bad, and car would not fore. Fortunately Dirk and Shaun who was on the same hpotel had a spare distributor in the boot. So after converting to point, the car fired up again and ran fine for the rest of the event.

Approaching Denmark, the car signalled it would not want to go home - OD stopped working, so the last 3-4 miles before the ferry was slightly slower. When we should leave the ferry, car refused - startermotor did nothing. Just the clicking from the solenoid. So after a push-start I could leave the ferry and return home to copenhagen.

Now a bit of fettling to be done - get megajolted (i said that i 2017 also...), sort out the intermittent OD (I suspect a duff relay) and finally - get a less noisy exhaust! 

Cheers

Nick 

On 8/27/2019 at 5:22 PM, Nick Jones said:

Well, if you haven't broken them...…... :P:smile:

Do you have the bearing spacer kits fitted?

Hi Nick,

Yes, I did actually, from RTR.

Rang the car for quite a few years without though, perhaps with 6j wheels though.

Now have the uprated front hubs with larger stub axles and modern Timken wheel bearings.

Another good 10CR, interesting route and a very diverse group of Triumph cars.

Mike mentions that a 2000 had radiator issues, this was sorted by judicial hose use and a good soak in coca cola overnight...well done Dale, Keith and Mike.

It was an interesting event, first time in a TR6 and whilst I enjoyed the long legs that the car has, the handling seems ancient, even compared to the GT6 I own. No comparison to a sorted saloon. As I suspected the mixture on the car was going to be too much, thanks to Andy Thompson who leaned her up by adjusting the metering unit. Otherwise a duff injector and adjustment to the front wheel bearings were the only other work that the car needed. Not bad for a car that has spent the previous 10 years as a machine to pop down the pub for a pint on a Sunday. 

Waved at Martin as he drove from the Ring on Saturday, I was in the Damson TR6.

As always on these CT long distance events, the camaraderie was the best thing. Numerous crews helping others out.

Nick is correct, better brakes needed for sure, foolishly the only part if the car that needs updating......!

Will just rebuild the present units, recon calipers, new discs and pads and then make a decision about maybe upgrading.

With regards to the handling, the car just seems to roll at the back and almost lurch into corners. Pics of racing TRs cocking a front wheel in a Jim Clark Lotus Cortina manner seems the way!

Slow in, fast out!

What you describe, Tim, is a feature of the roll axis, the line between the roll centres of the two axles.    If that rises to the front then it will lift the front inside wheel.

Basics way to lower the front roll centre is to lower the suspension, and make the springing stiffer, but stiffer springing tends to make for understeer, so maybe not ideal for pass storming!

The whole suspension business is black magic, and too complex to deal with here, but IMHO Alan Staniforth was THE guru and very much worth reading.

JOhn

10CR - what a great event!

Spitfire MKIV 1500 ran very well apart from a failure to the mechanical fuel pump... could that be that the E5 Ethanol ate the diaphragm. Many thanks to Matt for lending me a Facet Pump and all who helped fettle the fix. Also need a refurb to the n/s half shaft UJ & wheel bearings that were deemed ok at recent MOT ( well c 4k miles ago! )
I'm just about to get spannering to strip the pumps and inspect. ...
Any advice about replacement mechanical / electrical fuel pumps much appreciated. eg. reliability of replacement mech. pumps ref ethanol,  what psi on an electrical, need for pressure regulator, cylindrical vs cube, .. suppliers of 1/4 or 6mm ??? fuel hose.... and best place to get good wheel bearings and UJ's ...
... the the car's going to the back of the garage while the others get some TLC.

file-23.jpeg

Well I've striped and cleaned the black sludge out of the mech fuel pump & reassembled and apart from a slight leak from the top cap bolt the car is again running on the mechanical pump...
... but it worries me about the sludge - is this going to quickly re accumulate? and is it a result of the fuel hoses degrading due to Ethanol??

22 hours ago, TimBancroft said:

Another good 10CR, interesting route and a very diverse group of Triumph cars.

Mike mentions that a 2000 had radiator issues, this was sorted by judicial hose use and a good soak in coca cola overnight...well done Dale, Keith and Mike.

It was an interesting event, first time in a TR6 and whilst I enjoyed the long legs that the car has, the handling seems ancient, even compared to the GT6 I own. No comparison to a sorted saloon. As I suspected the mixture on the car was going to be too much, thanks to Andy Thompson who leaned her up by adjusting the metering unit. Otherwise a duff injector and adjustment to the front wheel bearings were the only other work that the car needed. Not bad for a car that has spent the previous 10 years as a machine to pop down the pub for a pint on a Sunday. 

Waved at Martin as he drove from the Ring on Saturday, I was in the Damson TR6.

As always on these CT long distance events, the camaraderie was the best thing. Numerous crews helping others out.

From he pictures the route looked very interesting.
Yours look like an early TR6 is 1970? Very Nice. So how many plugs did you change during the run ;) 

Mike

6 hours ago, TimBancroft said:

Nick is correct, better brakes needed for sure, foolishly the only part if the car that needs updating......!

Will just rebuild the present units, recon calipers, new discs and pads and then make a decision about maybe upgrading.

With regards to the handling, the car just seems to roll at the back and almost lurch into corners. Pics of racing TRs cocking a front wheel in a Jim Clark Lotus Cortina manner seems the way!

Slow in, fast out!

Do you think the saloon handles better because its a saloon and therefore (I am assuming ) a lot stiffer and more rigid than a TR6?

Mike

2 hours ago, Greta said:

Well I've striped and cleaned the black sludge out of the mech fuel pump & reassembled and apart from a slight leak from the top cap bolt the car is again running on the mechanical pump...
... but it worries me about the sludge - is this going to quickly re accumulate? and is it a result of the fuel hoses degrading due to Ethanol??

Possibly? What grade hoses are fitted? decent make R9 stuff? If so it shouldn't be them, but a filter before the pump may be an idea?

Cohline 2240 hose is working for me having had issues with alleged R9 rated hose from AFS / eBay.

Sludge may actually be the ethanol content of modern fuel dissolving the fossilised hydrocarbon crude from previous decades. Certainly had that issue with my PI although the sludge looked more like coffee grounds.