10CR 2019 - who is in?

Nick B.

Hi

10CR 2017 was great - and I am in again for 2019. This leaves just about 280 days to get the megajolt functioning and repair the speedo (odometer went AWOL after 30 KM last time) 

Any one else in?

After 2017 I have replaced the OD gearbox - only to find the fault were really the OD-relay. Still - 3rd gear had developed a crunch, so a overhaul were by no means waste of time.

I have also been asked to install a wind-deflector for next time - any suggestions?IMG_2154.thumb.JPG.38670880dcbcad05fe713d5c64780318.JPG

IMG_2392.thumb.JPG.043c44eb058c3471cbd5b6a620d2e46e.JPGIMG_2391.thumb.JPG.44376c8b5535d1f735b958c6122e7b27.JPG

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are there again. Just a few things to do first:

Must do:
Strengthen the chassis rail between front tower and front outrigger (75x50mm 3mm wall box section on its way)
Repair the rear end with a replacement bootlid, new light panel and a friendly panel beater.
a few crusty bits need chopping out on the bonnet
Fit a new rear spring with a tad more ground clearance

Should do:
Add a MAP sensor to get baraometric correction
Make an airbox so I get a cold air feed

Then a few test runs (A Scotland jaunt, and off to Spa in May) to make sure all is well.

Now, wind deflectors. on ours, I have fitted some polycarbonate sheet to the roll bar. If you got a hinged rollbar, you could do that? Otherwise copy something made for a similar car?? A MK1/2 would be easier as you could use the hood stick setup and slot a deflector in there. But that isn't helpful....

Does this mean the entry has actually opened?

Will probably apply for an entry but must say that that my enthusiasm levels are lower than usual......

I'm sure the Vitesse will go again - provided I fix the brakes, which haven't been quite the same since the last track day - I blame the kids :ninja:

Nick

15 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Does this mean the entry has actually opened?

Will probably apply for an entry but must say that that my enthusiasm levels are lower than usual......

I'm sure the Vitesse will go again - provided I fix the brakes, which haven't been quite the same since the last track day - I blame the kids :ninja:

Nick

It was like trying to get tickets to a Nick Cave concert - sold out within a day!!

They do still operate reserves, sign up quickly!

Edited by Nick B.

8 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Oh. 

Gosh. 

How annoying.

Miss one day looking at the miserable forum and miss the entry...…. Well, sod 'em then.  I'll organise my own and go where I want.

Nick

Usually there are a lot of people dropping out, so signing up for reserveplaces might be fruitful. Please do - would be nice to se some more Sidewayers :-)

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

Oh. 

Gosh. 

How annoying.

Miss one day looking at the miserable forum and miss the entry...…. Well, sod 'em then.  I'll organise my own and go where I want.

Nick

Now there's an idea - a SF - tour! .... My suggestion is Leige - Sofia - Liege ... too long? ..., hmm maybe.... How about - a Sideways LeJog?? Lowestoft to Ardnamurchan - for both the "Soft & 'Ard" ??

We are in, my son and myself, in our Mk3 Spit.  It'll be our fifth 10CR, although we did finish one of them in a Renault Flatulence hire car when the Spitfire failed us halfway up an Alp.

Just got to get the new engine in, run it in and sort the carburation/ignition curve, and a few other odds and ends.  Our test run will hopefully be the CT C2C in April.

Nick - I see you are about 8th/9th on the reserve list?  I reckon you stand a good chance of making it.

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

Yes Mike. Decided to give it a go. There may be other hurdles to overcome for all though, like the drawbridge being raised, or needing three quid to buy a Euro........

Nick

Perhaps you should buy some euros now while they are affordable :-/

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, TimBancroft said:

Hi Nick, noticed that you have withdrawn from the 10CR...shame?

Hi Tim,

How nice to see you on here :smile:.   Might need a fleet update from you as I've lost track........ heard a rumour about a TR6......?

Yes, I did withdraw, though not without regrets.  In fact I was in two minds whether to enter in the first place as I've done quite a few now, which I have much enjoyed on the whole, but there is a certain sameness.  Plus my wife and I are hoping to do a bit of a European tour this year as a semi-repeat of our honeymoon tour.  This was meant to happen last year, our 25th anniversary, but didn't due to my health problems.  This involves visiting relatives in Switzerland and for various reasons will probably have to happen very close to the 10CR date-wise.  I did do my first 10CR in 2009 less than two weeks after taking the whole family to Switzerland in the Vitesse...... but I'm older now!  Car did 5,500 miles in just under 4 weeks that time with many of the latter 3,000 in attack mode.

Cheers

Nick

I am in at the moment with Jane (wife) but probably with Libby (if she can sort out the child care, 2 sprogs now). Our last one was in 2013 in the TR6.
We will do it in the Herald, planning to do the NC500 again in April with some CT and TSSC friends but this time we are making it a NC800 with some extra bits.
Should prove a good shakedown of the Herald, last year it was on its old engine now it has a nice new engine that seems to behaves very different to the old engine as far as the EFI is concerned!

The great thing with the CT events is that it makes you realise you can do long trips in old cars.
We have done a couple of EU car trips and UK trips with CT/TSSC friends who have all have done long CT trips before.

Maybe there should be a very informal Sideways EU tour, if they still let us in....

Mike

We have added the C2C event to our calender, but that will be in the Toledo as rather comfier to take a nap in.

Then we too are off to Scotland in April with friends for a trip, home for a few days then off to Spa. A busy time!

All I need to do is get the spit back together. Spot welder is appearing on Saturday so the new lamp panel can be welded in (thanks for the panel Nick, fits nicely) and then get it prepped up and painted. No rush....

Nick, sorry to hear you won't be on the 10CR, but fully appreciate why. Life is often more complex that we like, and some things are simply more important than others.

This 10CR will be the first with my partner..should be interesting as she is not a great traveller in cars..loves old cars though. Her first car was a Herald 1200 in powder blue with the option of being able to put her feet through the floor, Flintstone style! The she went all BMC/BL, a Mini followed by a MG Metro! Now swans around in a Mini Cooper SD Conv...yep, she suffers from back pains...why the lack of suspension travel...madness!

Hi Nick, no, sold the Spitfire back to Dave Picton, he has done some more work to the car and it is now very nice and will probably be for sale in the spring...

My cars are now the GT6, the Saloon and the TR6. The TR6 being an early CP in damson with 5.5J five spoke Revolutions and a few mods. Suspension was shot as well as clutch hydraulics, gave the car to James Cooper who did a marvellous job on her. Needs a gearbox re-build, will be going to 2Spec for that. Otherwise that is it!

GT6 has a new engine in her and I am in the process of putting a new Autosparks wiring loom into the car. The Saloon is all ok, gearbox could do with a re-fresh though.

Good luck with the GT6, cannot wait to see her done and on the road.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:24 PM, TimBancroft said:

This 10CR will be the first with my partner..should be interesting as she is not a great traveller in cars..loves old cars though. Her first car was a Herald 1200 in powder blue with the option of being able to put her feet through the floor, Flintstone style! The she went all BMC/BL, a Mini followed by a MG Metro! Now swans around in a Mini Cooper SD Conv...yep, she suffers from back pains...why the lack of suspension travel...madness!

Stick in a couple of MX5 seats, fit well in a TR6 and there is a fitting kit from someone. Much much better than the originals.... Keep the originals in case you sell her.
Hope you have a good supply of sparkplugs ready for the TR6 and the alps! Or at least a set of spanners to tweak the MU before head up the alps :)
Actually TR6 and the alps is great fun, what the car was made for... :)

mike