Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rod1883

Looking forward to great conversations...

Recommended Posts

Hi Graham,

Boodles was the one on the left just after crossing the walkway bridge from the multistory car park into the old Westgate shopping centre. It was a pain because it had a strict dress code!

I'm not sure of the one you are thinking of. Walking down George Street, with DM on your right you reach the bus station behind the cinema as you say. I can only think of the Old Firestation club down that way, which was on the same side of the road as DM.

There was also the Coven, near the ice rink. That club went through a stage of only letting couples in, so if you went along with a bunch of mates, you'd often line up outside to get paired off with a girl.

      

Edited by TR5tar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

o

34 minutes ago, TR5tar said:

Hi Graham,

Boddles was the one on the left just after crossing the walkway bridge from the multistory car park into the old Westgate shopping centre. It was a pain because it had a strict dress code!

I'm not sure of the one you are thinking of. Walking down George Street, with DM on your right you reach the bus station behind the cinema as you say. I can only think of the Old Firestation club down that way, which was on the same side of the road as DM.

There was also the Coven, near the ice rink. That club went through a stage of only letting couples in, so if you went along with a bunch of mates, you'd often line up outside to get paired off with a girl.

      

One I was thinking was somewhere around where the gourmet burger bar is now, but all a very long time ago now and the old memory isn't what it used to be but sure it was underground like DM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Graham said:

o

One I was thinking was somewhere around where the gourmet burger bar is now, but all a very long time ago now and the old memory isn't what it used to be but sure it was underground like DM. 

Not sure where the gourmet burger bar is Graham. I've not been into Oxford centre in the last 4 or 5 years. I think there was a club near the old Army Surplus shop (other than the old Firestation on the opposite side of the road), but it's not one I went to. The only other underground club I can think of in Oxford at that time was a short lived place called "Angles", which was a bit punk and gothic in style.  

Did you go to any of the clubs in the surrounding towns? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TR5tar said:

Not sure where the gourmet burger bar is Graham. I've not been into Oxford centre in the last 4 or 5 years. I think there was a club near the old Army Surplus shop (other than the old Firestation on the opposite side of the road), but it's not one I went to. The only other underground club I can think of in Oxford at that time was a short lived place called "Angles", which was a bit punk and gothic in style.  

Did you go to any of the clubs in the surrounding towns? 

No my 'roving' in Oxforshire in the 80's was limited to 3T's waterski club in Standlake(paying for that now my back and shoulder are wrecked!) , Jackies tea room in Burford, Leafield Radio station where i did my apprentice training, the Court Inn Wintney, the the 2 clubs in Oxford we just discussed ........Oh and how could I forget the Spread Eagle in Carterton ! but think you are on the money about the bar being near an Army surplus shop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TR5tar said:

Not sure where the gourmet burger bar is Graham. I've not been into Oxford centre in the last 4 or 5 years. I think there was a club near the old Army Surplus shop (other than the old Firestation on the opposite side of the road), but it's not one I went to. The only other underground club I can think of in Oxford at that time was a short lived place called "Angles", which was a bit punk and gothic in style.  

Did you go to any of the clubs in the surrounding towns? 

They Banned him......lol

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Folks,

                well, it has taken 3 days to register on here but I'm here at last.

Can't use my old user name RogerH for some reason. never mind.

I have offered to help sort out any problems on the other site - time will tell.

I also read some of the guff that Duncan was talking about in his recent post - not impressed. Why do people open their mouths when they know diddly squat.

Roger

 

 

Roger Hogarth

Nr. Heathrow

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know what happened about your original screen name Roger.  Doesn't appear as an existing member name....... which ought to mean you could choose it if you wanted it?  Maybe you've already had this conversation with Craig?

Nick

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DaveNotSoSideways said:

Maybe Nick.

If luck run at my side in card games, evenly, as often as I shoved my chips in ahead I’d be retired twice over.

Read u had a few health probs, good to see u better.

 

Thanks Dave.  Not my best summer, but hopefully over with now!

Nick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, JohnD said:

 

If you're there Dave, I will definitely buy you a pint of lemonade!

John

Unlikely. Thank you though. I might start recommissing the spitfire in spring. Just needs new fluids, a clutch slave that’s sticky, 4 new tyres and petrol. Wash it’s a bit dusty. Bar that it’s exaclty as I left it in 2010. MOT.

Like all things I enjoy my bipolar disorder ruins them all after a while. I’ve been to far off in distract lands to consider taking back on any potential stresses and past loves. Things quite stable last 6months. Kinda thought if I had a stable year I’d get the car going again.

Cant face rear suspension design and execution at this time tho. So it’ll remain a bit lethal on swing axles. Probably used for the odd track day and no road driving bar on Sunday. Roads so congested with dawdlers and no one overtakes anymore compared to the past,  thesedays I’d rather not drive much on the road cause it’s not 1996 any more when every road was my own personal racetrack.

I used to be a very naughty boy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Don't know what happened about your original screen name Roger.  Doesn't appear as an existing member name....... which ought to mean you could choose it if you wanted it?  Maybe you've already had this conversation with Craig?

Nick

 

Hi Nick,

                 it maybe something to do with Google remembering it somehow.

Can it be changed to RogerH at your end.  I've not contacted any other moderator.

 

Roger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Roger, good to see you over here. I'd also like to ask if Nick can change mine to nowtelse2do, I can't seem to edit it. Thanks by the way for submitting my poxies at the AGM, sorry you weren't elected chairman. It looks quiet over there, so looks like the bod have got what they wanted.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, David Butterworth said:

Hello Roger, good to see you over here. I'd also like to ask if Nick can change mine to nowtelse2do, I can't seem to edit it. Thanks by the way for submitting my poxies at the AGM, sorry you weren't elected chairman. It looks quiet over there, so looks like the bod have got what they wanted.

Dave

Likewise, good to see you here Roger - I had spotted Roger H lurking on the user list over the last week, so assume now that you were having problems getting in properly under that name.

Dave - I hadn't realised that was you, good to see you. Freudian slip above?

Rod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome Roger. I hope you are going to use the hat picture so we recognise you.

Thanks for your efforts at the AGM & really sorry you were not elected.

Dave M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Rod1883 said:

Likewise, good to see you here Roger - I had spotted Roger H lurking on the user list over the last week, so assume now that you were having problems getting in properly under that name.

Dave - I hadn't realised that was you, good to see you. Freudian slip above?

Rod

No Rod, intended. A good club ruined by a egotistic fiefdom.

Nice to see you and all the others from the TRR.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Roger,  welcome and thank you for acting as my proxy. Sideways is a great forum, and much better for my arteries than the other place. Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2018 at 10:03 PM, RogerH said:

Hi Folks,

                well, it has taken 3 days to register on here but I'm here at last.

Can't use my old user name RogerH for some reason. never mind.

I have offered to help sort out any problems on the other site - time will tell.

I also read some of the guff that Duncan was talking about in his recent post - not impressed. Why do people open their mouths when they know diddly squat.

Roger

 

 

Roger Hogarth

Nr. Heathrow

 

Hi Folks,

              I just re-read my above post and it sounds as if I'm not impressed with Duncan - not so.

I also read what Duncan read and that was the base for my comment.

People say things without thinking.

 

Roger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...