TRR - new Forum Rules

Hi Duncan, Welcome. I could not agree more.  The assault on the forum means that those of us who have volunteered in the past will not do so in future. Without volunteers the subs will provide for fewer and fewer activities.  I contributed around 10,000 posts to the forum, mostly technical. I have killed both my TRR membership and posting there. I intend to continue on here, although such is the tech expertise already on Sideways it will be a challenge to get a word in edgeways !  I will happily volunteer talks on supercharging, combustion, and SUs ( even UFOs !) but not for TRR as that would support a board that displays such evil duplicity. 

Peter

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi gent's 

Just popped over from the dark side to catch up.

Firstly a thank you from my dog to all of you who moved over here, the forum is that quiet at the moment that we get out much earlier for our walk.

The last few post hit the nail on the head. 

Why am I still there you may ask. Well my membership runs out In March and untill then there may be a chance to change some of the 1984 style rules. You have to be in it to win it, not that anything is certain.

As for the board ,they have well and truly closed the circle and it will be very difficult for new blood to get elected, if anyone would want to in the current climate.

Brian

Hi all,

well.......thanks to Darren I eventually got signed in here, seems my Broadband under BT's umbrella is a bit twitchy when exploring new sites. 

Anyway it has been interesting to read everyones views on recent issues re: TRR, I for one resigned in August after the perceptions of things to come, pity I couldn't forcast the lottery numbers as well as I've predicted this situation................my Membership Card went back to the Office along with a letter but my renewal is not until April 2019. I've stopped receiving the TR Action and have no access to the Members chat obviously because I resigned immediately.   

It's not in my character to behave like this but I'm deeply saddened by all that has developed over the last few years and gave up my GL position 4 years ago when I felt rumbles deep in the engine room of the Register.I was instrumental in creating a new group in 1980 and enjoyed 38 years of friendship and activity without  a thought for not supporting the Club and indeed like many spent my own money on many occasions promoting something I believed in with a passion.

Our local Group has had it's AGM this week and we now have no GL (he's resigned to travel) and no takers plus no Social Secretary and I've sat and watched with temptations to step in with help and support to something I created BUT I cannot condone what has happened and so am sitting on my hands, also the impetus has gone to donate so much time to a cause that appears to need a complete overhaul.....................................

5 minutes ago, PaulAA said:

Hi Andy

It's a small matter in a bigger, sadder picture, but they should either continue sending you TRAction or return your subscription.  To keep your money and not provide the contracted service is disgraceful.

Paul

Welcome, Andy! You'll feel welcome, I'm sure. It's like the old days - apart from the 'dazed and confused' feeling (I have) from recent happenings... 

^^^ here ^^^  I had written my personal opinion about the person in charge of a this. But after re-reading my paragraph, I realised that hitting the 'send' button would be the same sort of writing as the infamous article in TRA #308. I will try not to lower my standard to that. So, I've deleted it.

Back to welcoming you: it's a fine place here. Enjoy your stay.

Menno

Hi Andy, Welcome !  The sense of deliberate, planned assault by directors, especially on Darren, lead me to discontinue membership.  The forum rules were the last straw. But look on the bright side, gradually word will spread that there is a friendly forum here and soon we will have enough numbers to plan an annual get-together. Peter

25 minutes ago, PGB BME said:

Welcome Andy & Duncan, we are getting good bunch of ex forumites together. It's a no hassle forum here.

Phil

Starting to agree with you on that one phil

This forum is a nice place to bE

Tom

11 minutes ago, tr4tom said:

I come on here to get away from all the shite elsewhere!

It is not usually something that occurs here (unless you read old GT threads), making fun of someone Yes, being snide and catty highly unusual and not something I'd like to see imported from the other place!

Alan

57 minutes ago, oldtuckunder said:

It is not usually something that occurs here (unless you read old GT threads), making fun of someone Yes, being snide and catty highly unusual and not something I'd like to see imported from the other place!

Alan

I agree with you Alan, lets try and keep it civil.

Rex

Hello All

Can we please just talk about car stuff again? (and I was going say keep our rattles in the cots but that may start someone off again so sorry)

Still the MGB I am working is driving me mad but better than watching the tele all day? etc (I just want get back to sorting Spitty out ready for next years trip to Spain)

Roger

26 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello All

Can we please just talk about car stuff again? (and I was going say keep our rattles in the cots but that may start someone off again so sorry)

Still the MGB I am working is driving me mad but better than watching the tele all day? etc (I just want get back to sorting Spitty out ready for next years trip to Spain)

Roger

That will happen in the future and it has started on the TR Serie sub-forum already. Although it's a little funny starting the first threads there: it's like putting your furniture in a new home...

At the other end of the spectrum. Give it some time. After all, this is the Rant Area. Some here have been a TRR member for more or less half their life. Getting a TR in the 60s was the utter feeling of freedom and now it's perhaps the memory of their 60s youth. The era of liberation. Being a member of the TRR and knowing and experiencing the nozzle on the freedom of speech is more than simply clicking 'I Agree'! I don't want to be melodramatic here, but that 'I Agree' button is -in a way- cutting off a large part of their lives: the freedom of speech, the freedom of saying what you think is important.

I for one have been a TRR member less than a decade. I'm not British, the TRR is a British institution and a household name like Triumph, Coventry etc. That hits even harder, I suppose. Then finally, the way members are belittled (is that the correct term here?). I mentioned 'Kafka' to DC back in August. I had the idea that the BoD thing likeI was watching episodes of Blackadder in WW1 with the BoD being the Hubris-suffering Senior Officers like Captain Darling and General Melchett...

In short: this will become calm in time and we'll be off to a next rant. Just give it time. (Sadly there weren't any forums when Thatcher announced the Poll Tax. Now thát would have made a perfect rant and rave thread!)

17 minutes ago, MennoR said:

That will happen in the future and it has started on the TR Serie sub-forum already. Although it's a little funny starting the first threads there: it's like putting your furniture in a new home...

At the other end of the spectrum. Give it some time. After all, this is the Rant Area. Some here have been a TRR member for more or less half their life. Getting a TR in the 60s was the utter feeling of freedom and now it's perhaps the memory of their 60s youth. The era of liberation. Being a member of the TRR and knowing and experiencing the nozzle on the freedom of speech is more than simply clicking 'I Agree'! I don't want to be melodramatic here, but that 'I Agree' button is -in a way- cutting off a large part of their lives: the freedom of speech, the freedom of saying what you think is important.

I for one have been a TRR member less than a decade. I'm not British, the TRR is a British institution and a household name like Triumph, Coventry etc. That hits even harder, I suppose. Then finally, the way members are belittled (is that the correct term here?). I mentioned 'Kafka' to DC back in August. I had the idea that the BoD thing likeI was watching episodes of Blackadder in WW1 with the BoD being the Hubris-suffering Senior Officers like Captain Darling and General Melchett...

In short: this will become calm in time and we'll be off to a next rant. Just give it time. (Sadly there weren't any forums when Thatcher announced the Poll Tax. Now thát would have made a perfect rant and rave thread!)

Hello Menno

I have been a member since god was a boy(172) and I must admit not been so active in recent years(got back into motorcycles) and my TR2 is in pieces in several sheds (But have Spitfire, Vitesse, Morris Traveller and a few Velocettes)

But to me (and this will upset lots of people) it is just an old car club and about cars not people!

But then I am old and do not understand modern thoughts just enjoy old forms of transport and tinkering!(well a bit more than that!)

That's my take on it for what it is worth(not a lot I know)

Now back to the oily finger nails etc

Roger

On 11/30/2018 at 11:32 PM, rogerguzzi said:

Hello Menno

I have been a member since god was a boy(172) and I must admit not been so active in recent years(got back into motorcycles) and my TR2 is in pieces in several sheds (But have Spitfire, Vitesse, Morris Traveller and a few Velocettes)

But to me (and this will upset lots of people) it is just an old car club and about cars not people!

But then I am old and do not understand modern thoughts just enjoy old forms of transport and tinkering!(well a bit more than that!)

That's my take on it for what it is worth(not a lot I know)

Now back to the oily finger nails etc

Roger

Hello Roger, 

As Menno says, I think it's just going to take a little time for things to settle. What's happened to the Reg is still very raw and upsetting for a lot of people. While you are able to see it as just an old car club, many have put in decades of time and effort into it and for them it is about the people. I'd not been in the club that long, compared to most posting here, but (and despite the way some have painted me) I've always tried to make friends with the people I have met through being a part of it. In doing that, it has also become about the people for me. What is clear is that there are many old grievances, which sometimes I find particularly difficult, especially when they exist between people that I consider friends. It would be great if everyone got on, but of course that'll never happen where there's a large group of people with differing views and differing ways of expressing their views. Personally, reading different opinions is one of the things that I enjoy about the forum.  

No doubt it is always the same when a large number of new people move into a community. Inevitably there will be a slight change in things. SW has welcomed those of us who for whatever reason no longer wish or can be part of what is going on over at the other place. I'd certainly like to thank the staff here for allowing us to discuss our concerns freely, but I do appreciate that not everyone will be comfortable with it. There will be a bit of rough and smooth, but it will balance out I'm sure. 

For me, it's just nice to see so many friends over here on SW. Earlier this evening I was showing my wife, Tina, some of what members had said regarding my situation. She was very moved by it and asked me to thank all that have been so kind. 

Best wishes, 

Darren

Edited by TR5tar
6 hours ago, TR5tar said:

ST has welcomed those of us who for whatever reason no longer wish or can be part of what is going on over at the other place. I'd certainly like to thank the staff here for allowing us to discuss our concerns freely, but I do appreciate that not everyone will be comfortable with it. There will be a bit of rough and smooth, but it will balance out I'm sure. 

It's still under a week since the TRR AGM and I am also 'dazed and confused' and wondering whether or not anything will ever change within the club.  With no access to the Member's Chat on the Forum I feel isolated, uninformed and powerless to influence the future direction of the club which has been a major part of my life for so long.  Many exiles have posted views on here which are virtually identical to my own.  In particular, I have been following Duncan's email exchanges with another TRR local group and it is clear that there is division within the membership akin to Brexit and the American Civil War largely due to ignorance and blind trust in people that do not deserve it.  I am disappointed that some some that have moved over here are bringing their own personal disputes or feuds with them.  If that continues, then even ST will be ruined for those of us that wish to focus on the cars and fellow enthusiasts. 

Not only should we not abuse the tolerance shown to us by the ST management, but perhaps we should all demonstrate our gratitude by contributing financially.  I am unclear as to how we do this as I have seen references to becoming a 'supporter', 'subscriber' or making a 'donation' but as soon as I find out I will put my money where my mouth is.