Jump to content

TRR - new Forum Rules


Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Rod1883 said:

Not sure I really want to agree to the new rules that contain:

4.1 When using this Forum, you agree not to: 

4.1.12 Post content that is critical of the Club, its members, staff, officials, board of Directors, Advertisers, A-Plan (TR Register Insurance) or other Club partners. 

4.1.14 Post content in relation to Club director elections, or other matters relating to AGM’s or EGM’s.

Or, to put it another way, by clicking you agree to go along with all we do.

"He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother"

I wonder if the next move will be to institute a 2 minute hate for Register members that don't acquiesce.

Craig 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, GT6MK3 said:

"He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother" 

Very apt - after my 40 years of TRR membership.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a book I know well - moving between streams at High School meant I got to study it 3 years running.  I have an affinity for it too, not just it's tongue poke at institutions), 'cos it begins with Winston writing in his diary on the day of my 18th birthday.

C.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Neil T said:

Can somebody explain to me that Alecs inn was voted against on mass and yet it's there? so much for voting 

Neil

Alec's Inn - the motion at the AGM that was, disappointingly defeated - was to recreate an open At the Bar type forum - i.e. not just for Members.

What I believe has happened is that the BOD have simply renamed Members Chat as 'Alec's Inn' - not what was voted on at all.

Rod

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TR5tar said:

Once major difference Rod ... you do not look like you have any intention of loving Big Brother! 

Very true - finding that a little difficult at the moment. Must read 1984 again...….

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DaveNotSoSideways said:

Rules. What rules. Rules be made to be broken!

Hello Dave :smile: Long time no see...….

 

32 minutes ago, TR5tar said:

I've thought for a while that, given the increasing numbers of TR owners joining, it might be useful to have sections along the lines of what you have now created.

Me too.  Craig beat me to the draw though.

Nick

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, GT6MK3 said:

I wonder if the next move will be to institute a 2 minute hate for Register members that don't acquiesce.

Craig 

The Thought Police have long been present at TR Towers - glance at the list of 'currently active members' and you have an odds-on chance of spotting Chris Hale lurking there - watching, but never engaging.

Paul

Link to post
Share on other sites

Craig,  Many thanks for the TR section. There are several very long term TR owners already on here, so we will be able to help with details that the wider ST community might not be familair with.

I am so enthused as to donate to help keep ST running.

Peter

Edited by PeterC
Link to post
Share on other sites

There were not many TR owners in the original ST demographic, but quite a few of us have extensive (and often expensive) experience with the common parts.  6 cylinder engines would be a major overlap, but also PI and any transmission bits shared with the big saloon range.

Most lacking among the "old guard" is anything to do with the wet-linered 4 or body/trim/suspension specific to the TR range, so bring it on!

Nick

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Rod1883 said:

Alec's Inn - the motion at the AGM that was, disappointingly defeated - was to recreate an open At the Bar type forum - i.e. not just for Members.

'Members' Chat' may now be 'Alec's Inn' but it certainly isn't a free house as was the intent.

RobH

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GT6MK3 said:

Gents/Ladies,

We're not here in competition with anyone, but we do like to be inclusive for those who come here.

So feel free to drop any TR tech stuff into our newly minted TR Series Section, or head into the freshly opened Coventry Inn.

Craig.

(It's the least I can do for a thread that got Dave to drop by!).

Thanks for that! A better solution than my Forum For The Banned suggestion. It's going to be crowded here!

 

Menno

Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I am aware (IANAL!) any content people put on the TRR forum belongs to the poster from a copy-right perspective?

Perhaps if any authors of technical articles/info previously posted on the TRR forum posted the same content in our shiny new TR section that might mitigate a little against the "loss of content" should things disappear over on "the other side" ? (and as a happy side-ways-effect attract others via google etc?)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of you not at the AGM -

The new rules were a Resolution proposed and seconded by 2 members. It was NOT from the Board of Directors. Sadly as it was not withdrawn before the AGM, which may have been the best idea with reguard to the recomendations of the 3 Wise men, it had to be voted on at the meeting. It was passed.

Voting on all items was in the region of 650 people. Where were the thousands of forum members votes against the new rules. The information was readily available to do so.

However it was reassuring that Allan Westbury was not happy with the wording either and intends morphing them asap but again the Resolution was put forward, voted on and passed. Hence being actioned - albeit rather too rapidly.

I too was disappointed as I had started a thread for discussion on the best and worst of the forum which was giving some great responses that I was going to use at the next committee meeting. Likewise I do not want to hit  the agree button just yet.

Your letter Rod is excellent and perhaps others could use some of it as a template for their own letter.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Diane.

The board may not have proposed the changes themselves but they recommended acceptance which more or less amounts to the same thing.  There was no need for them to have done that.

"Where were the thousands of forum members votes against the new rules. The information was readily available to do so."

To me it was very surprising, given the ease with which proxy voting could be done and the amount of discussion prior to the AGM, that a mere 169 voted against.  In fact overall the small number of votes registered at all is indicative of some malaise.  Is it just a case of 'can't be arsed' or did the vast majority really not hold a view and genuinely wished to abstain?  (Don't answer that - I guess I already know the answer. ) 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do wonder how many spoiled Proxies there were or maybe there wasn’t any at all.

When filling out the Proxy Form on line I tried/attempted at least 4 times to fill it in and every time I failed it was so frustrating and a total waste of time thankfully the Postal Vote arrived but that was even TRicky to fill out as I personally didn’t know most of those that were Standing for Election so left most of the decisions to my Proxy,I’ll be Voting no more.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Diane,    For me, the time for letter writing to the Board is long gone. I want nothing more to do with a board that treats members with disdain while polishing its corporate image. Banning criticism of the board on the forum was the last straw. Stalinist. TRR is no longer the club I joined 40 years ago.

I accept this was not under your tenure as a board member, and wish you the best in your new role.

Peter

Link to post
Share on other sites

As I mentiond above, I chose to send the TRR a message, say that I wasn't going to agree to these new rules and so it was goodbye, unless or until they changed them.   I wwondered how high up the TR hierarchy the message would get.   And LO!   I have a  reply from the Chair, no less, who has agreed to my copying it here.

Dear John,

Thank you for you enquiry.

I can understand your frustration at the imposition of a set of rules that in some areas need redrafting. We understand that and that is why I have asked John Morrison if he will help set up a task force to look at how we improve the forum and how it is regulated.

Our problem is simple – These rules were correctly submitted as a Resolution to the AGM by a member and passed with 538 votes in favour and 169 votes against. Even if you take out the Chairman’s proxy votes the resolution was passed by the membership.

The Moderators have some leeway as to how they interpret them and I doubt we will actually see a big change in the short term. They will continue to remove those posts that they see as offensive or extreme.

Longer term I hope we can reach a sensible compromise for all concerned, but in the meantime I hope we can persuade you to stay with us.

Many thanks,

Allan

I know this adds little beyond what Diane told us, but does confirm the Chair's concern and determination to act on this quirk of procedural beurocracy.   Were these new Rules published beforehand, so that the 500 had time to read them?

John

Link to post
Share on other sites

John

Interesting.

A cynic might observe that there are at least 538 Neanderthals in a membership of approx. 16,000, who would have the club stay in the dark ages and communicate via carrier pigeon.  Equally, there are 169 members who want to bring it closer to the modern era, leaving a grand total of approx 15,500 who really just couldn't care less, so long as a glossy mag plops on the doormat once a month.

Paul

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, JohnD said:

As I mentiond above, I chose to send the TRR a message, say that I wasn't going to agree to these new rules and so it was goodbye, unless or until they changed them.   I wwondered how high up the TR hierarchy the message would get.   And LO!   I have a  reply from the Chair, no less, who has agreed to my copying it here.

Dear John,

Thank you for you enquiry.

I can understand your frustration at the imposition of a set of rules that in some areas need redrafting. We understand that and that is why I have asked John Morrison if he will help set up a task force to look at how we improve the forum and how it is regulated.

Our problem is simple – These rules were correctly submitted as a Resolution to the AGM by a member and passed with 538 votes in favour and 169 votes against. Even if you take out the Chairman’s proxy votes the resolution was passed by the membership.

The Moderators have some leeway as to how they interpret them and I doubt we will actually see a big change in the short term. They will continue to remove those posts that they see as offensive or extreme.

Longer term I hope we can reach a sensible compromise for all concerned, but in the meantime I hope we can persuade you to stay with us.

Many thanks,

Allan

I know this adds little beyond what Diane told us, but does confirm the Chair's concern and determination to act on this quirk of procedural beurocracy.   Were these new Rules published beforehand, so that the 500 had time to read them?

John

I doubt it was a quirk, the huge number of votes in favour suggests a well-organised assault on the forum. made by an anonymous member and with the previous Board's approval.

Peter

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...