Estate car for sale

Hamish

You certainly wouldn't lose it in the supermarket car park, Hamish.  Obviously commissioned by somebody with an unusual variety of colour blindness.

It reminds me of the conversions that Crayford used to do on big Mercs and Rollers in the 70s, which would have been okay but for the rear door glassware.  Like this Bentley, they always had an awkward triangle of infill between the backsweep of the saloon frame and the straight line of the extended roof.  Bearing in mind the cost of the conversion, it couldn't have been a big expense to whip up a big Volvo-style rear door window frame parallel to the roof line, eh?

Paul

Loved the statement

It is very rare to find an early Mulsanne Turbo, it must be unique to find one in shooting break styling, Finished in mustard with claret. 

Whilst its unusual to agree with the use of the term "unique" in this case I think we are all glad that the vendor is hopefully correct.

Looks like another Job for Paul and Alan's new styling studio, although we may have to issue staff with self darkening welding masks when working on it, or risk having people going off sick a lot!

Alan

LOve it!     

I bought my C5 because with the back seats folded, there is room to sleep in it, and it has no rear doorstep, flat to the floor.     I fancy a proper campervan, and that Bently could be halfway house if it didn't have a thumping great sill for the tail gate to sit on, and probably unfoldable rear seats.  The flag pole just doesn't clinch the sale.   Sad, as a non-great American would say.

JOhn

Edited by JohnD

On 10/30/2018 at 9:23 PM, oldtuckunder said:

Well the new Design Studio strikes again

Turning this

bently1.jpg.face6fba583957e82bd65d66a6fe079c.jpg

Into this! with the subtle application of some car paint left over from the James Bond Die Another Day Film, quite an improvement!

bently2.jpg.313acde2133247a51a78776fea8d6a7b.jpg

Alan

Bravo, Alan!  Advanced PhotoShop skills!

Now, if that could be rolled out onto the 70%+ of Rollers that chug out of the factor, destined for warmer climates, in various degrees of tastelessness, I think a major service will have been done.

Of course, Bentley currently has a significant lead in the 'tastelessness' stakes - there are some true howling dogs to be found out there in the world of Google Images, but we should start the cleansing in manageable chunks.

Paul

On 10/30/2018 at 7:07 PM, JohnD said:

LOve it!     

I bought my C5 because with the back seats folded, there is room to sleep in it, and it has no rear doorstep, flat to the floor.

You had me captivated there for a moment, John.  I was wondering whether this was an aspect of Mr Sinclair's finest I had overlooked.

image.png.9e2519be94f6eac2ca7bb5e22acad764.png

Paul

I had the rare pleasure to be in a CX Safari recently.  Behemoth is not an adequate word.... 5 mile turning radius and enough seating capacity to challenge Wembley for the cup final.  And, even after all these years, supremely comfortable.

Back in the world of awkward estates, I think this is a worthy challenger in the dubious category of 'shooting brakes'... looks to me like Aston Martin's version of a Surrey Top, about to slide off the boot.  If the rear door had been raked forward and the 'D' (?) pillar removed, it might have cut the mustard.  Even better would have been shaving a couple of inches off the top of the (saloon) rear wing.

image.png.8abd3e7db16210f325ffa6188c1a0610.png

Alan, time for a design review?

Paul

Special variants

Roos Engineering's Shooting-brake Aston Martin Lagonda 1998

Shooting-brake (Estate), by Swiss company Roos Engineering — One made in 1998 using a 1987 model

Looking at that it makes you wonder what the design criteria was, if it was a huge load carrier that would really haul ass, one wonders why they didn't just buy a Mercedes Sprinter Van, as far as I can tell driving these days they are quicker than anything else on the roads!

I don't think I'll waste any special paint on this one, I think torching it might be the kindest thing!

Alan

Awesome, Paul!  Is that what you do for a living, or are you just unreasonably talented?  Jealous, me.

But that would have made it into a Reliant Scimitar, and we can't have that:

Image result for Reliant Scimitar rear three quarter

Edited by JohnD

Call me a nutjob if you will but I absolutely LOVE shooting brakes.  Estate cars.  Station wagons, whatever we want to call them.  Most conversions end up looking a bit awkward to my eye yet I adore them nonetheless.  Is it the Lynx Eventer that was based on the XJS?  Love it!  Just my 2 pence worth LOL...

Sadly not, John.  I'm just a bleedin' Architect and the commercial stuff I do is a far cry from caressing the lines of an unloved Aston.  But I do use PhotoShop for nefarious purposes a great deal in the day job...

... and I always felt that the upturn of the rear glasshouse left the Scimitar with too much plastic over the wheel.  How about this version:

scimitar.thumb.jpg.19eb75834599a8d9b7099fe79f141b54.jpg