Fitting your Prop shaft

JohnD

Good video here of what happens to the middle bit.

Our Triumphs only allow the flanges to be bolted up two ways each end, but that means four possible combinations.    The last bit of the video, on phasing shows why there are one bad way, two so-so and one right!

JOhn

Thank you John.  That is a great video...... and my understanding of some things that I was vaguely aware of is now much sharper. Small chassis propshaft angles are less than ideal I suspect...... a certain one that has been messed with by a certain red monkey probably worse.

And what about Triumph's strange use of one UJ and one CV ( which does not produce the same velocity change, hence it's name) on later Spitfire propshafts.....?

Nick

On 10/25/2018 at 8:42 PM, JohnD said:

Good video here of what happens to the middle bit.

Our Triumphs only allow the flanges to be bolted up two ways each end, but that means four possible combinations.    The last bit of the video, on phasing shows why there are one bad way, two so-so and one right!

JOhn

My understanding is the phasing cannot be changed by which way the flanges are bolted up but by having the u/j's out of line. For instance if the sliding part of the prop shaft is dismantled and then reassembled with the yokes out of line. This is why they use a 'master' spline on the driveshafts on the 6's so they can only go back with the u/j's in their original position.

Thats my take on it anyway!!