Mallory Park, 7/10/18

JohnD

This Swinging 60s race will be my last of the season.   There's a good Triumph presence in Class E, of three TR4s (John Andon, Steve Chapman and Jon Ellison) a TR2 (Eddie Driver), two TR6s (Andrew Hall and Dave McDonald) and me in the Vitesse, in a grid of 18 cars.

I'll have a spare ticket or two, and glad to pss them on to you if you will M me a postal address.  See you Sunday week!

John

Hello John

I may be up for that its a long long time since I went to mallory Park(spent a lot of youth there! bikes!)

I even had a Birthday track day MK2 Jag , DB5, E type,D type and a few laps driven in a Cobra(scary!)

I will ask my mate tomorrow if he is up for it and let you know tomorrow night(Memsahhib is away so can please myself) as long as I walk the dog and feed the cats!

Roger

ps we can fumble a harness with the best of them!

Hello John

The man from Delmonte says yes!

Well I will and I think my mate will come so we can slow you down in the pit stop!

So can we have the tickets please (you have my address) if not pm me

We will probably not be there until 10.00 (Memsahib away and dog to walk)and NOT getting up at 6am!

Roger

ps do I need overalls?

Great to see Roger and John at Mallory!  They weren't dodging the RBRR ethos as they come over in the Spitfire, with the roof down!

Another friend who appeared was John Sadler, for whom SofS was the spare car before Mark Plausin, who I bought it from.  See pic below.     He was able to tell me many points of it's history, and confirm that he got it from Dave "Barney Rubble" Barnes.    Anyone know 'Barney' , or know of him these days?  I'd love to delve further into its history.     I was able to get a copy of its previous owners from the DVLA before they stopped doing that, and there's a big gap where it was clearly purely a race car, and not registered.  Barney's name doesn't appear!

John

SofS first outing at Lydden with Mark Plausin maybe '92.jpg

Two Vitesses - Pembrey 1995.jpg

Hello All

We went to Mallory Park yesterday (it was bloody cold on the way over at 8.30 in Spitty hood down!)

We meet up with John D and he showed us how we could slow him down with the harness!

There was some good close racing(I wonder if it was because end of the season?)

Here are a few photos(not very good as either my camera is playing up or the person behind the lens is rubbish?)

I liked the solid fuel stove in the back of the Transit!

I wonder if I could modify our Moggy Traveller like that?(I fancy a wing on the back?)

Roger

P1030608.JPG

P1030614.JPG

P1030628.JPG

P1030629.JPG

P1030631.JPG

P1030647.JPG

P1030649.JPG

It was very cold on Saturday night - clear stars and frost on the cars in the morning.     Swinging 60s was first race, so quali at 0945, and the track was damp and squirly.     It was the last race of the season, so maybe people weren't trying their hardest for points, but I was 9th of 16 on the grid, and only 4 THOUSANTHS of a second behind Jon Wolfe in his 5L TVR!    More important, I had a great time racing people, even if my time was ten seconds slower than my best.     

But by the PM the track was dry, and I reverted to my usual role of arse-end Charlie, and was second to last, five laps behind Wolfie, and four and a half seconds behind the next driver in a 2.6L TR6, although at 59.74 I was only .7 of a second off my personal best lap time (track still cold at only 13C)     I don't mind that, really I don't, Jon's a good driver and has five liters at his disposal, but during the race I had several laps where I seriously asked myself if it had been red-flagged, as there was not another car on the track with me.   That is not racing, that's more like sprinting.

This is my beef with CSCC and Sw.60s - the rules say that anything with six cylinders, even if less than 2L , must go in Group 2, Class E.    Group 2 includes the like of Jon and other Big Bangers, who obviously have a much higher straight-line speed than me, although I am as fast, if not faster than some around the corrners.   I give away 140cc to the next biggest engine in the Group.    I've asked if I might race in Gr.1, where I would have been between 15th and 16th, but with at least six other drivers within a second of my time.   That would be racing.   I wouldn't be the biggest in the pack: there's a 2L BMW, a 1950 MGB and a 2L Alfa in there, but the CSCC won't have it.  I'm told, there are several fast GT6s waiting for that rule change.   So what?    The real answer is that Gp.1 is oversubcsribed and they have to limit the entries.  Ho-hum!

John

Dunno!    Info from photography website and entry list.

Interesting experience on way home.     Stopped at service station, because my trailer tyre pressure sensors showed (correctly) that one tyre was down a bit.   I went to the truck compressor, as that was drive through, instead of the car one next door, as that required you to reverse away.      A car full of young ladies arrives there, and seeing me use the truckies one, it was "' 'Ere, Mister, how do you use this thing?"         They were totally ignorant of their car, completely, didn't even know what a tyre valve was, or how to inflate the tryes, let alone check the pressure.

But, they responded so well to instant tutorial mode!     Lending them my pressure gauge, they checked all the tyres - their car had flashed a warning but didn't indicate which tyre - and soon had it reinflated - it was only down a bit.        I congratulated them and then asked what they should do next - and they got it right!     Have the tyre checked, ASAP!        

Millenials are ignorant, but it's not their fault.   They are just as bright as you, or at one time, me!

John