Infamy

TR5tar

Infamy, infamy ... they've all got it infamy. 

Have I been banned? For some reason, after a little while using the ST forum I'm automatically logged out. And when I try to log in again, I'm told that I am using the wrong password. I reset the password and it works again, for a while, then the same problem. I always click the "Remember me" box on the password, but no joy. Any thoughts on where the problem is, or are you all trying to tell me something :blink:

Cheers, Darren

I had heard a rumour that you were trying to either take over Nicks role, or steal Sideways members to form a breakaway forum :whistling:   I'll wait for the facts in TRA 309 :biggrin:

However it sounds more like something your end, I have never seen anything log me out of Sideways (well not so far) so it perhaps smacks of your browser or internet connection being reset, and then possibly when you reconnect if you have your browser set to remember passwords its then supplying an incorrect old password. I never let my browser remember passwords, its basically the equivalent of writing them up on a public forum in the security stakes game.

What you might try is open new browser session, login (even if it requires you setting new password) then once logged in just shut the complete browser down without logging out, and then open the browser and try loging in again.

Oddly enough, I have just been 'updating' my security settings on Firefox.  Apparently, I needed more privacy (= close the toilet door).

Now, I remain logged in only until the device I am using is switched off or re-started.  Having saved the password, it does, however, autofill when I insert the user name.  So it may well be a browser setting...

Firefox does have the courtesy to tell you that it you close the toilet door, you will likely need to log in again and it will remember your details, but if you lock the door as well, it will do a Manuel and remember nothing.

Paul

6 hours ago, oldtuckunder said:

I had heard a rumour that you were trying to either take over Nicks role, or steal Sideways members to form a breakaway forum :whistling:   I'll wait for the facts in TRA 309 :biggrin:

However it sounds more like something your end, I have never seen anything log me out of Sideways (well not so far) so it perhaps smacks of your browser or internet connection being reset, and then possibly when you reconnect if you have your browser set to remember passwords its then supplying an incorrect old password. I never let my browser remember passwords, its basically the equivalent of writing them up on a public forum in the security stakes game.

What you might try is open new browser session, login (even if it requires you setting new password) then once logged in just shut the complete browser down without logging out, and then open the browser and try loging in again.

Thanks Alan. Will look into seeing if it's a browser issue.

Best wishes, 

Darren (AKA Reggie)

P.S. You're a brave man repeating those rumours. Are you not aware that I'm a dangerous character?  

24 minutes ago, TR5tar said:

P.S. You're a brave man repeating those rumours. Are you not aware that I'm a dangerous character?  

Yes, but if you can track down a Sideways BoD, your a better man than me, I don't think they could even track themselves down, even if they existed, let alone hold a court of enquiry :zoro:

Darren,

I did previously have a similar issue on my work computer (internet explorer or whatever followed it).  It had been ok provided I logged in most days (I think the cache may have been set to clear every few days?), then started forgetting me immediately and causing password trouble when I tried to get back in.  I have zero admin rights on that machine and not keen to ask our (German) IT department to sort it as not really supposed to be playing on the 'web.  Happily it "spontaneously" resolved.... I don't know how - was nothing I did!

Rest assured that there is no political move against you :biggrin:  Though a little paranoia is understandable :ermm:

Nick

11 hours ago, TR5tar said:

It's very odd. I've cleared the Password, then reset, but then later I get automatically logged out and afterwards I have to set the password again. Will have to have a think!

Hi Daren

Its just possible that we are using some conflicting terminology here, but maybe not.  GT6MK3 may correct me, but unless someone is remotely doing it I don't think Sideways will automatically log you out, I can leave a browser window logged in for days on-end, and I'll bet for over a week at times, and sideways never logs me out!

So maybe just some clarification might help, when you say automatically logged out, do you mean the browser window is still there pointing at the sideways forum on exactly the same page you were on, but when you click a link etc it says you have to sign in, and you have to enter your password again, or do you mean it has actually signed you out of sideways and the browser has returned you to the main sideways page with the Sign In or Register options at the top right?

If its the former then its going to be something like a browser setting, or your ISP either dropping the Internet connection, or dropping your lease on a randomly allocated IP address and allocating another one. 

What Browser are you using?

What type of internet connection are you using, i.e. house wifi, to someone like BT Fibre, or something like a cable supplier.

Are you connecting from a Laptop or a Desktop that is dropping into hibernation/sleep mode on a fairly short timeframe, or is it an always on state.

Alan

On 9/24/2018 at 7:04 PM, TR5tar said:

Infamy, infamy ... they've all got it infamy. 

Have I been banned? For some reason, after a little while using the ST forum I'm automatically logged out. And when I try to log in again, I'm told that I am using the wrong password. I reset the password and it works again, for a while, then the same problem. I always click the "Remember me" box on the password, but no joy. Any thoughts on where the problem is, or are you all trying to tell me something :blink:

Cheers, Darren

I have the same problem.

Any time I wish to respond to a post on the board I have to go through the 'forgot password' routine.

The password is never remembered despite ticking the 'remember box'. I also get reminded each time that my password is very weak. (sigh)

OK problem solved or at least re-created folks

1) Never been aware of it but Sideways will log you out, so when you go to reply/post you have to sign in again, and its all down to a simple misunderstanding or bad user Interface.

When you sign-in you see a box that says "Remember Me" so you are clicking on it, unfortunately that box is already checked so when you click on it you are actually un-checking it, and sure enough some-time within the next hour or so(ish) if there is no activity you get logged out, but its not 100% obvious so you click on reply and then you get told you have to sign in again, now I suspect but haven't tried if you reset your password logging in (before being auto logged out) That somehow is being lost, or maybe not being updated, so the forum thinks your password is an earlier one than you do.

However I think the solution you probably need is when signing in using the sign in option top right is to leave the remember me box alone, its already set!

Alan

Thanks for the replies. Let me try to answer your questions Alan.

ST never used to log me out, it's only started happening recently. Yes, I think the browser window still points at the ST forum on exactly the same page I was on, but I'm being asked to sign in, and that's when I'm told that the password is incorrect. At least I think that is what is happening. Until it happens again I cannot be sure. 

I am using Chrome, with house Wifi to BT infinity. Very rarely get any loss of connection, so I do not think that's an issue. I'm on a desktop , on which I do not use sleep mode. 

I'm glad it's not just me Jim! Hope you are well, by the way. 

That;s right Alan, when I sign in I see the "Remember me" box, which is checked. However, I don't think I'm unchecking that box, so I'm unclear as to what is happening. Something else that may be relevant is that Chrome asks if I want to remember the password too, which I say yes to. By the way, I never remember passwords to any site that involves financial transactions. 

What's the answer then?

Cheers, Darren

Edited by TR5tar

Update: What it actually does is stay logged in to the page I am viewing, but after a short time when I try to view another page I'm being asked to log in again. Then, when I try to log in, I'm told the password is incorrect. The log in box automatically has the "Remember me" box checked. It seems to make no difference if I try to uncheck it.

Cheers, Darren  

Try This

Open Chrome

From tools, select Customise and Control Chrome (three bars top right) then select more tools, then select clear browsing data, make sure passwords and autoformfill data boxes are checked then select clear browsing data, when complete shut down chrome. Then start chrome go to sideways and login, do not touch the remember me box it will be checked, do not accept chromes kind offer to remember the password, you may or may not have to change your sideways password, it will depend on if you correctly remember what you last set it to that got updated to sideways, if you have to change your password to login to sideways, then as soon as you are logged in, sign out again, and then sign in again, (again remembering not to click on the remember me box or to accept any password remember from chrome)  I think you will them find you will remain logged into sideways without it signing you out, and even if you shut sideways down, and open it up again, you should be auto logged in without having to click the Sign in option.

If that doesn't work, then its time to toss the laptop in the bin :biggrin: