I salute a master prankster.

JohnD

Anyone involved with teaching will be familair with "grading criteria".      These are included in the Module Information Pack (MIP) of every course taught at my College, where they form a whole-page table of turgid text.      One of my courses was being introduced this week, and I must admit a little bored already, I scanned this table.   One cell normally contains the words, "Demonstrates ability in the manipulation of subject matter to demonstrate a solid understanding."

But this MIP had been revised by a teacher who left at the end of last year, and he had marked his passing by revising this.  It now demands an ability, "to demonstrate a solid poo."

I nudged my neighbour and the whole room was soon giggling like schoolgirls including, to their honour, the lecturer on whose course had been inflicted this scatalogical sin.

I record this only, of course, to shame the titillating tutor who perpetrated it.

Perfectly straight-faced,

John

... and elsewhere, Hamish.  It is also fobidden in most fora, where it is fashionable to respond to traditional body function humour with affrontery, disgust or moral superiority.

Even in our own pages here, ribald ribbing has been met, on occasion, by offence.

I remember the carefully-perpetrated single letter alteration to Cardinal Richelieu's not-very-famous declaration, quoted in my O Level history text book, that "... 10% of Frances's population have been reduced to beggary"

For a happy, healthy and long life, it is important to retain some element of the sn*****ing schoolboy in you.

Edit: Sideways has a very sensitive red pen! It doesn't like the euphemism for 'concealed laughter' (clue: seven letters with double 'g' in the middle)

Edited by PaulAA

John is right, the deployment of a 'slow burn' prank is the sign of a true master of the art.

Many years ago, when I first started teaching, I made the mistake of admitting that I had a PSV license and I got roped into driving the school's ancient Bedford coach when the regular driver was ill. On one trip to Thorpe Park I discovered that I had forgotten to bring my book and was facing 6 hours of total boredom, sitting in the cab with no working radio either. After an hour of cleaning the dashboard and sorting the tachograph discs I was so bored that I was ready to chew off my own lips and I absentmindedly pulled off the rubber cover from the steering wheel boss. Under the cover was a neatly folded piece of paper on which was written 'Don't be so nosey, now put it back'

Now, that's the work of a master.

Adrian

My last place of work was on the seventh floor of a Defence building, we shared the Navy 'tea room'. The local ants managed to find the sugar bowl there, (how long does it take for a 5mm ant to climb seven storeys and take the booty home?) So some clever bod put out some ant poison nearby,and stuck a warning notice above it "warning ant poison" with arrow pointing to it.

The local 'lad' responded, within a day, with a note stuck under the first one  saying "it's no use warning them they can't read".

Suspect he was the same one who put the notice up on the main board saying "  I   (Name )   apologise   for   my   embarrassing   and   despicable   behavior   at   the  Melbourne  Cup  Day  party  next Tuesday."