Sign in to follow this  
merside

2ltr exhaust

Hi guys I am getting all my geat together for my project and want to build my own exhaust system for my spit 6, now being tight and from yorkshire i have a load of 38mm stainless tubing. I have read other posts that have done similar but slightly smaller diameter for the headers, what effect will this have or should i just go out and get smaller diameter, regards wayne

1 1/4" (30 - 32mm) more usual for the primaries, but 1 1/2" (38mm) should be ok for the secondaries.

Are you plotting a 6-3-1 or 6-2-1?  Note that the exhaust ports exit the head at a downwards angle.

When you say "stainless tube" have you just got straight lengths or have you sourced some preformed bends as used for pipework in food and beverage industry?

Following this with interest as it's something I've always wanted to do but have (so far) too idle to get on with!

Nick

Hi I have got straight tubing from another job left over, I was going to get some pre formed 90 bends and 45’s then make the rest up as I go along I will knock up the manifold out of 10mm plate and mill the ports I have a rig to do the welding, I will use the 38 for the secondaries then and source the smaller diameter from my steel stockholder, regards Wayne 

sorry that should have read as tig not rig, and i will go with 6-3-1 as this seems to be better from what i have read, sorry i couldn't edit my post 

I think Mad Marx in the TR7/8 section of the TRR forum (which I think has public access) earlier this year had a neat thread on building new headers for his Group 44 V*8 race car, I mention it because he used plastic plumbing fittings and pipe which have the same/similar off the shelf bends as available for exhausts and mocked the whole lot up in plastic before copying in steel, thought is was a neat idea.

Alan

Alan that is a good idea and cheaper than making errors in stainless, i will look at that, although i had an idea to use pipe lagging with wire or copper tube so i could bend it easily for a guide, regards wayne