Sign in to follow this  
Johnc

Audi TFSI help needed

Good evening all

My wife runs a 2009 Q5 2.0l TFSI with just over 100,000 miles on the clock.

2 days after we had it serviced prior to a planned trip in it to Spain i went to start it and got nothing but spinning over and a fair bit of clattering noise.

After investigation it appears that the cam chain tensioner has failed and cam chain has jumped 8 teeth on the inlet cam sprocket. These are known to be a weak part and have been modified since its first incarnation.

We are going to crack on and repair as necessary as without an engine it is worth nothing and I recon that we can get it back on the road for £3K.

In May 2016 Audi rebuilt the engine as it was consuming excessive oil due to them fitting incorrect pistons/rings when they built it.

Now my question is do you think that i've got a hope in hells chance of getting any money out of Audi for not suggesting that we should replace the tensioner.  As when they had it stripped down they would have seen that it was an older tensioner and was prone to fail.

thanks in advance.

John     

Modern Audis (and other German stuff) are riddled with engineering/materials choice/manufacturing defects and they are woefully bad at taking responsibility.  If you've already being through the oil consumption shenanigans you'll likely know all about this.

Worth a punt but I really don't fancy your chances.  You might just get a degree of goodwill. Also worth having a poke about on the Audi forums to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.  Presumably you'll need to have the head off and fit new inlet valves plus chain/tensioner, gasket kit etc?

Stories like these are a large part of why I'm still running an Audi that is 22 years old and > 300k miles - they still made them properly then!

Good luck!

Nick

Hi Nick

Yes head is coming off this week to see just how much damage there is. 

I think that you have confirmed what I thought - that there is little or no chance of anything from Audi - we are going to crack on get it repaired and move it on.

Now I just have try to persuade SWMBO to look at something other than audi as a replacement, I'm keen on Skoda at the moment but that is a work in progress.

John

Well, I'd still be inclined to take a crack at them - just don't leave the car with them!  Warranty attitude of the whole German car industry is shameful at present.

Skoda..... yeah.  Like the cars on the whole, BUT Skoda re also part of VAG group so the same platforms, same technology, same defects and same underlying attitudes to customer service apply.

Hyundai, Kia and Honda...... even Dacia.  All near the top of JD Power (or whatever it's called these days) customer satisfaction survey whereas the Germans languish at the bottom.

Having owned a 2007 Kia Ceed, I have to say that it exceeded (pun in there somewhere?) expectations, being nicely engineered, nicely made and not bad to drive either.  When forced to work on it (only normal wear and tear parts) it was easy there too, bar a few odd spanner sizes (my 12mm spanner was a virgin before the Kia) and certainly inifinitely preferable to the Audi TT that replaced it which provides an hour long swearathon at every oil change!

A colleague has recently got a Kia Nero hybrid as a company car and having spent quite a few hours sat in it I really can't find much to dislike about that either.

Nick