Is mintylamb anywhere new ?

Hi

i got to know mintylamb gearing spreadsheet soon after getting my TR3a with a TR6 gearbox in 2016. 

Then it disappeared  :-(

this winter I am considering a different crown wheel etc

3.7:1 to 4.1:1 ????

and a possible increase of the OD. From 22% to 28% and a competition pump for quicker OD changes.

but on the road I use 185/70x15 tyres

and in competition 185/55x15. 

I would like to see what the individual and collective changes mean to the revs/gearchange points and cruising revs. 

As I am having the gearbox done first ( fixing a leak is the priority reason for the work)

i want to know what a 28% OD would mean without the change of diff. 

With the 2 sets of tyres I use. 

(I don’t even know what ratios I have in my TR6  box as I understand they do differ?!)

Any pointers to anywhere with the triumph data already there ?

cheers

h

Minty lamb was taken down originally due to hosting problems. I think it's creator, James, had planned to let it die. However, by the time I contacted him to ask what had happened to it he'd already had so many people contacting him asking about it he'd decided it should live.

We offered him hosting here but he said he'd already got somewhere lined up and it would be back as soon as he'd modernised it a bit.

That was quite a while ago...... so maybe his cage needs a rattle..... Used to post on here a lot so maybe this will do it, though not seen him on here for a long while.

I do miss the gearing comparator and the SU needle utility especially......

Nick

Thanks for the update guys. 

It was useful as it had most of our Triumph applications as set choices. 

With a great speed/revs/gear table. 

I have tried Rogers link but I don’t seem to get the results that I actually see in the car. So my data must be wrong. Or it doesn’t understand overdrive ?

like I said I’m not even sure I know which ratios I have in my box !!

Let’s hope we can have it on here 

h

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, richy_rich said:

I had a go at (partially) recreating the speed/gear ratio calculator here : https://richyrichracing.com/gear-ratio-speed-calculator-for-standard-triumph-drivelines/ 

It's, er, 'beta' so there's no error handling or overdrive/5 speed boxes yet but it worked well enough for my needs so I thought I'd share..

Brilliant, Rich!  Perhaps it could be pinned, so as not to lose the link..?

Over-writing the 4th gear ratio will give a corrected overdrive reading, revealing that at 6500rpm with a 3.45 diff aand 28% j-type, the TR6 PI is capable of fractionally over 200mph!

Paul

Mintylamb was a great resource.
it a common problem of the Web nothing is for ever and things disappear or become unusable very quickly...... Not like 1938 printed magazines.. :)
BTW even more of a problem for historians and librarians when the formats are always changing....

Mike (in grumpy old, just had my 65'ith birthday,  mode)

That's a good point Mike, it's one of the reasons I 'restored' all the digital archives of my site (even though it was a massive pain in the arse and a lot of it makes me cringe)

19 hours ago, JumpingFrog said:

just about working SU need comparison thing

That's pretty cool! Thanks.