Sign in to follow this  
yorkshire_spam

"Interesting" Spitfire rear modification

Anyone seen one of these before?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Spitfire-Rear-Leaf-Spring-Mod/253786295516?hash=item3b16d78cdc:g:JtkAAOSwRqBbRKbE

An interesting "solution" to the rear end character of the Spitfire?

As per the listing.... PRI-Race item from the USA. Now "rebranded" as Moto Cancelli due to, err, customer relations issues! Better value at that price than the original which is at least 3 x that. Pity the vendor doesn't realise that he could resolve his ride height issues by spending maybe £50 on so slightly longer/higher rate springs.

Not that I think the thing actually represents an improvement on a swing spring anyway. The anti-tuck effect of the swing spring is lost.....

Nick

What do people think about putting all the suspension load through the original damper pin which is in half shear and only originally designed to cope with the relatively low resistance levels of a standard damper ?

37 minutes ago, obe said:

What do people think about putting all the suspension load through the original damper pin which is in half shear and only originally designed to cope with the relatively low resistance levels of a standard damper ?

Don't think much of it. However it's be done by a fair number of people over the years, not just users of this device, and seems to stand up to it.

24 minutes ago, SpitKseries said:

Walk away - not any improvement unless you have the old pr Mk 4 suspension. I had it for 5 years and have now built my own that WORKS

Agree. Curious to see your version........ pics?

Nick

3 hours ago, obe said:

Must admit that I was tempted to have a punt to see what it was like, as I have a swing axle set up, all be it heavily stiffened, lowered, and with an anti-camber kit, until I looked at that point, it wasn't so much the pin but the top bracket which wasn't really designed for any heavy suspension load, no may be if I had body off and could heavily reinforce that point it would be different, but 50 year old bracket I think I'll pass. Also notice that it also moves the spring mounting back to the rear of the upright so all the force is on one side of it.   Think I'll stick with what I have that does seem to work reasonably well.

Alan