What were you wrong about?

For YEARS I've been dismissive of 2 things... having now bought/used both I have to admit I was WRONG and wish I'd come to my senses years ago...

1. Auto welding masks.

Brilliant! Why did I struggle on for so long with hand held and manual masks when mig welding? They are not even that expensive. What a muppet!

2. Helicoil thread repairs.

Why didn't I trust these things? I'd always go to the trouble of re-drilling the next size and tapping for a bigger stud/bolt. They are bloody brilliant.

Any similar experiences?

Still wondering what I'm going to be when I grow up. Retired is current favourite.

Battery drill has been my long term hold out. Bought one earlier in the year and wish I bought it years ago. It's brill.

Electric rattler gun (big brother?) may follow........

Nick

23 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Battery drill has been my long term hold out. Bought one earlier in the year and wish I bought it years ago. It's brill.

Ooooh that'll be interesting, I'm still in the pneumatic rattle gun camp.... Maybe electric is the way forward?

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

Still wondering what I'm going to be when I grow up. Retired is current favourite.

Nick

They are great, I have used a couple and wish I could afford one myself. Milwaukee 1900 Nm puts my 400 ft/lb air rattler to shame and  makes it feel like a kiddies toy

16 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Odd that, when I was about 14 my life ambition was to become and architect, but I never got anywhere near it in real life. By the age of 17/18 I was well down a different path.

Yesterday was a bad day - it would be wonderful if fees magically appeared without having to deal directly with clients, haha!

On reflection, I'm with Alan.  I wouldn't necessarily admit to my wife, but choosing to live the majority (so far) of my life in a religious hegemony comes pretty high up the list...  What I wouldn't give to have a bunch of badly-dressed, over-sincere, indisputably honest, socially tolerant, forward-looking and... intelligent politicians making a difference.

2 hours ago, PaulAA said:

Yesterday was a bad day - it would be wonderful if fees magically appeared without having to deal directly with clients, haha!

On reflection, I'm with Alan.  I wouldn't necessarily admit to my wife, but choosing to live the majority (so far) of my life in a religious hegemony comes pretty high up the list...  What I wouldn't give to have a bunch of badly-dressed, over-sincere, indisputably honest, socially tolerant, forward-looking and... intelligent politicians making a difference.

We could lend you Frank Field, after that its Hobsons choice.

I'm sorry you feel that way about architecture, Paul.   I could say, why didn't I study to be an engineer in the first place?  But I've been extremely lucky, in that I loved medicine and my specialty, so much that I deferred my retirement from the NHS until several years later than when I could have stopped.    I was wrong about that, I should have gone earlier.   I've had so much fun since then that making the decision to finally stop by giving up private practice is easy.     My only regret is that as I give up my medical registration, I can no longer serve as a motorsport doctor.     But I can still marshal, get involved in the pits and see my much younger colleagues at Uni get on with their careers in motorsport.

On tools I was wrong about  - how this thread started - I got myself a cordless drill, and selected a 12V one, thinking it would be easy to make up a caable to run it off the car battery if required.     But that was more difficult than I thought, and then I left the bulky case out in the sun.    Li-ion batteries do not like heat, and they failed.  

However, I also treated myself to a cordless electric screwdriver, which also takes small drills, up to 6mm, I think.     The majority of holes I drill are not bigger than that, and the small, light screwdriver/drill is much handier than a 'proper' drill, cordless or mains.     The currnet model of Bosch IXO is different to mine, but probabkly has ther same internals - I recommend it!

JOhn

PS, Paul, are you being ironic?    JKM is known for being an antifeminist, in particular believing that women not should be able  to vote,  for racist, even fascist views, statements and actions, and opposing the Paralympics because the general public should "not see the disabled on television".  J.

Edited by JohnD

3 hours ago, PaulAA said:

What I wouldn't give to have a bunch of badly-dressed, over-sincere, indisputably honest, socially tolerant, forward-looking and... intelligent politicians making a difference.

Are you talking about Poland or U.K.?

I know the square root of nothing about Polish politics, but here you have a better chance of growing a tail........

21 minutes ago, JohnD said:

I'm sorry you feel that way about architecture, Paul.

John, in all sincerity, I don't.  As I alluded to in my second post, yesterday (when I posted my thin witticism) was a far from illustrious day.  Architecture is a bit of a curate's egg, but overall it has taken me to many unusual places (my speciality is big commercial - I have a life-threatening allergy to private clients) and provided me with a degree of comfort in my middle age.  I spent ten years as a director in a global practice and now run a small consultancy, which gives me an unusual degree of veto on the type of commissions we accept... having my cake and eating it, as it were.

Yes, I was being ironic about JKM.  He is a singularly dreadful individual with the most regressive and appalling views on women, religion, foreigners, the EU, neighbouring countries, etc., etc.  Like Farage, he is devoid of a moral compass and takes his salary as an MEP whilst does absolutely nothing to justify it.  Unfortunately, his views are not unique here in Poland.

Nick, I think the political pipe dream applies to practically any jurisdiction in the world... with the possible exception of New Zealand.  I wish I could afford to live there!

Paul

PS  Am I at risk of being modded for introducing politics?  I deserve it...

3 hours ago, PaulAA said:

PS  Am I at risk of being modded for introducing politics?  I deserve it...

Alan started it, I may have encouraged it........ I sentence us all to 3 nights of BBC news...... Or maybe that's too harsh......

I'm glad that it's not all Hades in Architecture, Paul!     As you say, if you are in a position to control what you do, then life is a great dela nicer.

And "devoid of moral compass" - a splendid phrase that I shall use in future!  Thank you!

John

Hello All

Retiring on Friday the 13th at 60 1/2 years young(12 1/2 years ago!!!!!)

I wish I could have done it earlier(If I had just bought all those E types at £500 and classic Motorcycles etc) or just a row of terrace houses!

Instead of Clubing , Partying and Drinking etc!

My Hamer four post lift(Mechanical ! look it up)

All the tools I can not live without(well a few almost unused!)

Roger

ps just remove it!

craven A.jpg

On a slightly different track.

I bought Guns'n'Roses "Appetite for Destruction" LP when it was first released.
After a few listens I decided that it was pretty rubbish, save for two or three songs,
so reckoned they were bound shortly for obscurity.....

Ian.

PS I gave the LP away!

So So many things....most things in fact, especially if you listen to her...

Not taking a trade and going to university, wish id become an electrician/structural engineer instead of a software engineer (rushed into uni to avoid tuition fee's).

Triumph spitfires do not go round corners quickly on wet roads...

Buying shares in a fruit shaped logo company was not a bad idea in early 2000...doh!

Financially, i should have bought the Lotus Esprit instead of the Spitfire...

Edited by mattius

Matt,

you are thinking about this much to deeply...... I dare not go there! The list would be horrifyingly long and I'd have to be kept away from upstairs windows and sharp objects......

As for letting "her" add to the list......... you have got to be kidding! (I would use smilies, but on the iPad at present and the forum doesn't like iPad smilies)

Nick

On 8/2/2018 at 12:55 PM, PeterC said:

We could lend you Frank Field, after that its Hobsons choice.

Hi Peter

There was an interesting profile of Frank Field in the G a couple of days ago:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/03/frank-field-labour-mp-brexit-birkenhead

It's a great deal to absorb in one MP - pity he doesn't offer mix'n'match packages to soften the impact of the whole monty.

My sister, in a neighbouring constituency, seems to swing between fervent support and abject teeth-grinding dismissal... Marmite man indeed.

Paul

20 hours ago, mattius said:

Buying shares in a fruit shaped logo company was not a bad idea in early 2000...doh!

The first half of 2016 was the big opportunity, when Apple shares dipped below $100... Here we are, two years later, and they are north of $210...

Bugger...