Sign in to follow this  
JohnD

National choice of car colours

Having visited Belgium recently, and made a curious observation, I looked out when driving around the UK and France.

On the Brussels ring road, 90% of cars are Black.    The rest are silver, with a very few of any other colour.

Now black is a popular colour, in the UK in 2018, 60% oder new cars in black, white or silver, with black the most popular, but on the M25, and the Rouen ring road, the proportion of black cars was nothing like so great, and the number that were not that or silver much higher.      Is this an effect of the European parliament, or the personality of Belgians?

John

Edited by JohnD

I think in the UK white is currently the colour of choice? Silver seems so dated now after years of dominance. And black always looks classy, as long as the car is cleaned daily.

The Belgians seem to have a thing for black cars and aggressive driving (in France the cars that come up behind you and start flashing, even in a queue, always have a B on the plate). No idea why.....

Dunno...... I've previously noted that France, especially southern parts have very high proportion of white and silver cars. This I think for the good practical reason of temperature.

UK seems to have been buying disproportionate numbers of silver cars for many years. I notice this as Senior Management refuses to own one, so whenever hunting down her next car I always have a large number of automatic rejects.

I know that black is seen as a prestigious colour in some European countries. My previous company only allowed black or white company cars, with black being restricted to the higher ranking.  By chance, my last three daily drivers, going back to 1994, have been black. Black May look good when clean but it doesn't stay clean and is bad news in hot weather. Having travelled over 200 miles today in the A6 with non-functioning AC, that is a subject close to my sweat glands!

Nick