JohnD

A lesser man's Le Mans trip

John, I must apologise. Apart from helping you get your tent back in the bag I didn't see you wandering about. Obviously much more productive then me on the trip! Seems I spent a lot of time keeping our group supplied with food/drink etc. 

The weather was fantastic, and although we did not do car-orientated visits prior to arrival, we did visit the Menin Gate/Ypres, a whistlestop tour of some La Somme sites, and finally Pegasus Bridge. We encountered a torrential downpour on the Wednesday afternoon. We carried on at about 50mph, if we had stopped the car would have filled in seconds. We got away with it, just a wet head.

Sunday evening we were disappointed that Mulsanne straight did not open up quickly. I asked the "guard" what time the barriers would come down in my very best French. Got a Gallic shrug as a response, and he muttered something about maybe 8. Went o dinner with friends, and when we returned it was indeed opened. And we sinned. Badly. However, the local French who were out gave lots of encouragement:banana: totally different to what we would get in the UK where the speedtraps would be up and people shaking fists. I quite like France.....

Oh, and John...

Reading this on my phone, so won't play the video now.   Zetec, that was you who held the bag open for me?      Wish wed had a chat!   It was all.mathematics of course, not fumbling around!

You didn't see me around, as I was off site most of Friday, and all of Saturday, working on the paddock +pits, for the Talbot team, pictured above so clearly.   Again diff to tell on phone, on sunshine but I think that's our No.1 driver Gareth who came first in the series, with another getting 2nd!   Those Works Talbot's are serious racing machines, despite their brutal, almost crude appearance.

Gareth's, No.17, is 3.4L, straight six with a bore about the same as a Triumph, but aboiy twice the stroke!  Massive torque, but limited to 4.5k rpm.   Definitely Old School!

sounds like you all had a fantasist time, and along the way posted some great photo's for the rest of us to enjoy, Roger, John, a big thanks for the forum readers and me, Nick how are we feeling these days, a lot better I hope

34 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Reading this on my phone, so won't play the video now.   Zetec, that was you who held the bag open for me?      Wish wed had a chat!   It was all.mathematics of course, not fumbling around!

I was a tad hazy on the Monday. And the lack of any milk meant I didn't get my reviving cuppa.....

And yes, the bright yellow spit with black wheels (not the immaculate yellow one between you and the track) is my car. Behaved well except a starter motor that started to fall apart, needs to come off and have the long internal bolts loctited and done up tight....

Oh, calamity!  Less than 5 miles from home, still on Mway, nasty noise from back end, car rapidly stops.   Cannot be driven, ad if brakes have seized, but I can push it backwards, easily.   Totally seized for forward motion.

Diff???

Don't fancy trying to even investigate on the hard shoulder, I've called the RAC, and hope they'll get a loader to take me the lady few miles. 

Bugger!   And its Brands Htach next weekend

40 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Oh, calamity!  Less than 5 miles from home, still on Mway, nasty noise from back end, car rapidly stops.   Cannot be driven, ad if brakes have seized, but I can push it backwards, easily.   Totally seized for forward motion.

Diff???

Don't fancy trying to even investigate on the hard shoulder, I've called the RAC, and hope they'll get a loader to take me the lady few miles. 

That's rough luck John, but at least it happened on this side of the channel so no nasty repatriation complications.Hope it turns out to be something not-so-complicate/expensive!

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Diff???

Saw dust ?

Roger

P s that a b**mer

Curiouser and curiouser.   It could be hand pushed back, easily but only a few feet, then locked up.  Managed to drive it forwards enough once off the lift, to.get into the garage.   Nasty graunching noise inside the car, outside not heard.  Hand brake lever very limited movement - I think its brakes.  We' all see tomorrow, I'm for a glass or two wine and crash out in bed!

Curiouser and curiouser.   It could be hand pushed back, easily but only a few feet, then locked up.  Managed to drive it forwards enough once off the lift, to.get into the garage.   Nasty graunching noise inside the car, outside not heard.  Hand brake lever very limited movement - I think its brakes.  We' all see tomorrow, I'm for a glass or two wine and crash out in bed!

PS the RAC van has a built in spectacles lift, inside!  All folds out, under power like something out of Thunderbirds!  Real.piecevof kit!

Edited by JohnD

The only similar issue I've seen is a propshaft or driveshaft bolt being loose and fouling the diff case as it rotates. It'll move a certain amount and then jam solid in that direction, but will move back the opposite way until it fouls the case again. 

could be teeth off the diff. Or gearbox. 

IIRC you have a volvo inner CV joint with adaptor? Loose bolts there?

Many possibilities, but a clear head, and a jacked up car should quickly get to a diagnosis. Hopefully a simple fix too.

Well, this is a lesson in proper maintenance.    When I'm using SofS, I do a daily spanner check, of all the suspension bolts and nuts, and the rear transmission.  But this problem was the caliper bolts.  Both on the right hand rear caliper have fallen out!    The caliper was not just loose, but free and trapped between the wheel  and the upright, hence the odd, variable ratchet action.

The bolts on the opposite side are in place and secure, and I've obtained two replacements, which will need cutting to length, but that's easily done.     I will put them in with thread sealer and as tight as I can!    I may still make Brands Hatch, but the trailer needs the new shoes fitting too!

Back to the workshop!

John!

I thought of that and discounted it having forgotten you had disks on the rear.

Had similar thing happen on our 205 many years ago. Car having been recently purchased, "fully serviced" from a franchised dealer! Luckily I was driving at the time - caused a bit of a brown moment!

Nick