A lesser man's Le Mans trip

Who needs the high passes, rockets in the sky and heroic cyclists?  I've just braved the M6 road works (speed limit 50, actual avg speed 11mph) an M25 (road works south of Heathrow, traffic solid) and the dreaded South Circular Road to get to my son's family house in Sarf Lunnen for the night!

No matter!  Grandson No2 kept up for bedtime stories, delicious meal cooking, and tomorrow, La Belle France!   If i get up in time to catch the ferry.

Going early to take a long loop around Paris to revisit the bold Reims-Gueux road circuit.   First used in the 20s, extended after WW2, ALL the great names of the Golden Age of F1 raced there.   Most of all it was the venue for The first European race for Fangio, and his last.     His gearstick broken, he was lagging. But Mike Hawthorne in the lead would not lap him out of respect for the great man - and from Hawthorne that is an enormous compliment.

More when I'm there.

John

Made it!  I'm at Le Circuit du Reims-Gueux, the best preserved pre-WW2 road racing track, probably in the world.  It was preserved purely by luck, as the circuit fell out of use in the 70s, and no one bothered to knock down the buildings, now in the care of Les Amis du Circuit de Gueux.    And they are doing a great job.

I was here four or more years ago, when its pathetic state was nostalgic.   Now, the repairs and restorations by Les Amis ate inspiring!   They have repaired and opened the pits building and timekeepers offices over them and completely restored the circuit offices.  Clearly, the Andre Lambert Pavilion, next to the pits is next for restoration, and repairs have been made to the Tribunes, that are not safe at present and closed.  You can walk under the road from the pits to the tribunes via the original tunnel and enjoy the gardens, and the wonderful scoreboard that still stands in the paddock.

Anyone with an ounce of Castrol Racing on his hair should visit.   It is so evocative of its day.   When you are here you realise why, still today, a Formula One driver is called into a pitstop with the word "Box".   The pits are counters, next to the road, no pit lane, like boxes at the opera!    You drove up to your counter, your crew jumped over and did whatever repair or refuelling was needed right next to the cats still racing by at 180mph!  Standing here, I can still hear them!

IMG_20180704_152350.jpg

IMG_20180704_152445.jpg

IMG_20180704_152547.jpg

IMG_20180704_153032.jpg

IMG_20180704_153919.jpg

IMG_20180704_154813.jpg

IMG_20180704_154132.jpg

Edited by JohnD

Of course, and in the day, it wasnt all fun.   On the Gueux Curve,  a fast left hander, Luigi Musso died in 1958, the same French GP that saw the last of Fangio.      The road is truncated now, a dead end in a field, but a cross commemorates him and all young drivers who died when F1 lives were cheap.

IMG_20180704_165450.jpg

Edited by JohnD

I tried to record a six yowling down the straight, by setting this phone and taking a video.   Aborted the first, as traffic got in the way, but the second went well - over ninety before the pits.    Thought better of doing it again as France has just reduced the speed limit on country roads to 90 kph(55mph?)

_ueux_run_to_the.pits

MkHere's a few more of the Gueux pit area.    Tonight, I'm 'wild camping' in the Montagne de Reims National Park, as long as no parkies nab me. Already this evening the traffic on the N51 is dying down and the birds are singing.  Last time I stayed in this establishment, I was astonished to see a family of wild pig, two adults and a litter of piglets, crossing a track in front of me as I went to relieve myself early on the morning!

I think I  saw your thunderstorm, Roger, as I left Gueux and headed south into the hills of the "Montagne".   Clear blue sky now, fingers crossed for CLM!

IMG_20180704_154105.jpg

IMG_20180704_154813.jpg

IMG_20180704_152659.jpg

IMG_20180704_152517.jpg

2 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Are you sure? 2013 maybe?

;-)

Damn...... you're quite right.

P1090379s.jpg

Both aforementioned yowling 6s are in the lower picture.  Lawrence's lovely TR5 (on Webers IIRC) and Tom's monster TR6

P1090377s.jpg

Good luck with weather and Parkies John.....

Nick

PS. to get Johns video to run you need to download and change the filename to end ".mov"

Nick, thank you for the software engineering, I amazed myself by posting it at all!

Roger, had a torrential down pour on way to Le Mans about 1000 today, standing water on the road, aquaplaning the lot.   Le Mans had thunder and a shower, but forecast is good.   Have you arrived yet?   I think I may have been first in the TSDC tent for a beer.  Join me?

And any.other Sidewayezers here!

John

I videoed a full lap last time I was at Gueux.  Its still on YouTube, search for "SofS Gueux" as I don't know how to post URLs via my phone. 

And a million other laps by other people,   why there isn't a speed camera I don't know!

John

made it to Le Mans!  See pic, parked in Tertres Rouge.     Rogerguzzi and I linked up for a great chat - see you again before we leave Roger!

Meanwhile, I've joined the team I'm.spannering for in CLM.    Bit different to Triumphs, with straight six engines, but what engines!   3L, with the same basic design and bore, but stroked to about 150mm!    This is the 1931 Talbot racing team, now owned by Pace Products that owns four out the original six and has recruited the other two to join them.    Practice yesterday, daytime and nighttime sessions, and congratulations to our No.1 driver, Gareth Burnett who has pole position!

Back at campsite, about 0130 - people still up, watching boxing on the TV!!!!  At Le Mans!!! - crashed out woke at 0900 by the cars assembling for track laps.   Back to work soon cars to prepare for the real thing.   We're in Grid 1, so start the event at 1600, prompt!

Back to the grindstone!

John

IMG_20180706_063339.jpg

IMG_20180706_103530.jpg

IMG_20180706_134554.jpg

IMG_20180706_103404.jpg