Thrust washers

Chaps

Is there a reliable method of measuring the fore-aft crankshaft movement on the six-pot TR6 engine without removing the radiator?  I raise this every time the car goes in for service and I’d like to see the actual value appear on a dial gauge, but the space between the fan and the radiator looks too narrow for direct measurement.

I remember reading about using a lever against the front cross member to push the crankshaft back, setting the dial gauge and then fully depressing the clutch, but I can't see how to measure the movement...

Paul

Ah just realised the TR6 extension isn't as long as the earlier TR's but from the diagram below I'd have thought you would have got a dial gauge on its side between the front face of 18 and the front face of 20. Most dial gauges will mount on a bar, so a long bar out to the sides and securely fixed should do the job, and then as you describe lever in set dial gauge and then depress clutch. Actually looking at it if you had to reverse and come off the back face of the fan centre I think that would work.

Alan

tr6fan.jpg