Re positioning a 6 pot

I think...... they are all basically the same bar the odd bonnet stay bracket apart from Spit 1500 which, IIRC, have a different engine mount height. It’s not obvious. We have a selection here which supposedly include both types but even side by side...... I struggle. I think we have a matching pair of the right sort on the GT6......

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Alex

I have moved the engine back as far as possible without cutting the bulk head on my Vitesse. I modified the original mounts. This needed an inch or so, from memory sliced from the heater matrix and box, plus loads of other mods including, exhaust, shortened prop etc.

Mark 

IMG_4580.jpg

IMG_3714 (1).jpg

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Simple question.....if you know the answer !

Im aware there’s a difference between the turrets fitted to a vitesse/gt6 and herald/spitfire .....how do you know which is which,the hole ?

Im not sure what I’ve actually fitted but think I should find vitesse/gt6 ones if possible?

Alex

Certainly the LH ones are different, and I thought also the RH one.  

I thought (but could be wrong) that the engine mounts on a 6 wouldn't actually reach the holes in Spitfire turrets.

I have both here and will try and take pictures tomorrow.

Actually just took a squint at a Spitfire one in the yard and I think I have that arse about face.  On the Vitesse and I assume GT6 the flanges on both turrets are the same length, on the Spitfire the LH flange is noticeably longer. 

Pictures tomorrow.

Alan

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Simple question.....if you know the answer !

Im aware there’s a difference between the turrets fitted to a vitesse/gt6 and herald/spitfire .....how do you know which is which,the hole ?

Im not sure what I’ve actually fitted but think I should find vitesse/gt6 ones if possible?

Alex

I suffered through this one.

There’s a photo here that might help

10 hours ago, Mark said:

Hi Alex

I have moved the engine back as far as possible without cutting the bulk head on my Vitesse. I modified the original mounts. This needed an inch or so, from memory sliced from the heater matrix and box, plus loads of other mods including, exhaust, shortened prop etc.

Mark 

IMG_4580.jpg

IMG_3714 (1).jpg

HI Alex

I'll find and post some more photos later when I am at home. I didn't measure the original position of the engine, but it must be at least a couple of inches further back overall, the inch was removed from the heater as it clashed with the head. As mentioned in other posts I also used shims on the engine mounts to help with clearing the rack.

Mark

OK have measured and taken pictures of Spit 1500, Spit 1300 and Vitesse  LH Turrets.

As far as I can tell the Spit 1500 and Spit 1300 are identical, and assuming that on both and the Vitesse the bolt hole for the front top wishbone should be in identical positions, then the top engine mount hole on the Spitfire ones are 4" in from the wishbone hole (centre to centre) and 1/2" higher, and the Vitesse one is only 3.5" in from the wishbone hole and about 1" higher.

Spitfire LH and RH turrets visible different, Vitesse look a mirror pair visually (but not measured)

Alan

Edited by oldtuckunder

Thank you Alan.....

If I’m understanding correctly then I believe I have spitfire turrets( as I thought).

One side I have 3.5” the other 4”.

Is this likely to cause me any issues as the engine appears to be sat straight other than needing a little more clearance for the sump to clear the steering rack?

Alex

If the engine flat across the width (i.e. I don't think you want LH side higher than RH for oil drainage) then the only other observation I would make is that in the Vitesse the engine is normally higher at the front than the back, does this make any difference? is it needed?, is it just so that the sump clears the rack?  I don't know, but others may do.

Alan

11 hours ago, Alex said:

Messed that up  :-/

Id be very interested to see where everything sat when moved back an inch if you have more pictures? 

Thank you everyone !

Alex

Hi Alex

Heres a few photos of where everything sits, with the engine moved as far as the bulk head. Lots of knock on effects that at first weren't apparent.

2ERk6.jpeg

OCE33.jpeg

mfVHp.jpeg

I'm sure you're correct Alan. They had to do it to fit it in, and as you know it's marginal.       A 2.5 needs the Vitesse/GT6 sump, but that has to have the front floor relieved to clear the big ends, it's that close.

Mine is moved back, by putting  the flanges on the engine rubbers behind the turret flanges, , must get - oooooooh, half an inch!   But I've had to cut away some of the bulkhead edge on the lft, to clear the Metering unit - but you have carbs, so similar prob, the other side?

John

• 1 month later...

Well not much to report really.....

Spent many hours trying to line things up, it’s getting better but I still seem to be having an issue with getting the doors sitting level with the bonnet.

The top of both doors seem to sit proud of the bonnet when viewed from the front. If I push the doors in then that messes up the fit at the rear. Both doors seem to fit very well now at the rear I’ve spent so much time on this it’s stopped being fun .....well nearly. 

Any thoughts or suggestions? The drivers door physically is pushed in as far as possible at the top but passenger door will go in a touch, but comes out of line at the rear if I do......head scratching seems to have become a hobby . I’ve also fitted door glass to both doors to try and get the weight on the doors and bulkhead . 

Alex