Sign in to follow this  
Alex

Re positioning a 6 pot

So I’ve spent the day in the garage today, one floor is fitted and awaiting trial fitting to the chassis before final welding. 

Ive had to remake the bottom of the A post as it was very crusty.....how many different directions can one panel go!!

Unfortunately this is not my forte....I’ve also repaired the base of the bulkhead where the floor joins it.

Next job is strip the body off the chassis and get it into the garage, I can then mount the tub and bulkhead and see where I’ve gone wrong :-/

Alex

6813A8E5-F945-4C4E-98AF-C22EDDD61B3D.jpeg

13A2C904-4E67-46E1-905E-535A17D321E3.jpeg

One of the most awkward areas on a Herald/Vitesse, if not on small chassis cars in general.

My Vitesse is still original and sound there. My Herald....... wasn't.

Nick

That’ll be Bill from Rarebits selling the chassis I think. 

To be honest the body is only sat on the chassis outside. We never bolted it to the chassis when we collected it simply placed it on top. I should think half hour should see the white car sat in the floor and the chassis in the garage with the tub and bulkhead on it. 

Thank you for the heads up though!

Alex

Body is now on chassis..... bolt holes not lining up though....

Need further investigation but it’s not right, not a million miles out just not right. 

Alex

6EAEE586-3247-4000-A2E9-83F04727851E.jpeg

E638C23C-618A-4F98-BE78-C33AA943286A.jpeg

Is the chassis original......... or previously molested by someone of unknown skills and motivation?

Getting these cars together is one thing, getting them together right so everything fits properly is quite another, and quite difficult.

May the force be with you!

Thank you Nick

In all honesty I think you may have nailed it

This car is a right bitsa anyway,the chassis and the body have all received many repairs over the years.

The chassis appeared right with the rotten body but that’s simply to far gone to ever be a viable tub or bulkhead. 

Looks like I’m going to have to do some cutting and adapting, Ive ordered a body bolt kit so I’ll have to add in some doors and see what happens then with it all bolted up.

Now wether I ever get decent alignment is another matter so .....

Alex

Patience pills required!

Also worth fitting the bonnet for maximum aggro........

Note that some of the mounting kits on the market contain rubber washers which are too squashy and compressible to be useful. The OE ones contained a lot of fabric and were pretty solid. It's the stuff heavy duty conveyor belts are made from.

I prefer all metal myself. Use big repair washers in stacks initially to get the thicknesses then remake in thicker material for final assembly.

That’s great thanks Nick

I had wondered if I should fit the bonnet.... is there much adjustability on a herald bonnet?

Alex

Looking good me thinks, but as Nick tells: Patience pills required!

And yes, avoid the 'new'  rubber washers - its sh*t IMHO.  Use some of the alu washers and ad a piece of conveyor belt or equal to lower resonans, noise etc.

There are an official guide about how to put it all back on the frame: http://vitessesteve.co.uk/ServiceTrainingNotes - see "Body - Herald - Vitesse - range"

Edited by JMH

Fair amount of adjustability on the bonnet (and some tricks to increase it if needed) but point really is to try and get all the pieces of the puzzle in the game as only then can you be sure that everything fits.

Took me a full day of arsing about to get my 1200 to fit together nicely - and it really was pretty good.  Pity some twat turned it over a few weeks later as it never did fit together quite so well after that!  The Vitesse never has fitted together properly - because it was the first one I'd done and I didn't take my patience pills....... I will sort it one day!

Worth investing the time IMO as a Herald/Vitesse with decent panel gaps is a rare thing and stands out from the crowd!

Nick

8 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Worth investing the time IMO as a Herald/Vitesse with decent panel gaps is a rare thing and stands out from the crowd!

As they say "one never came out of the factory like it" :biggrin:

Well I’ve spent a bit of time in the garage this weekend. 

Live managed to get bolts in all the chassis mounts and fitted doors and bonnet.

I had to cut the welds on the front edge of my new floor to get the bulkhead bolt in but was worthwhile. 

Opinions welcome as always.....I’m learning so happy to be pointed in the right direction. 

Pretty pleased with the passenger side, drivers side need a bit of work before I cut out the floor. I thin’ the passenger door skin needs some work as it’s not particularly straight.

Some of it could be door adjustment but some is poor repairs on the tub where it joins the door step..... I did it but now I can obviously see I should have done it with a door fitted. 

FFF8C7C3-9303-4539-8A9C-897C3EDF9E9E.jpeg

419C09D9-AE7D-40F3-B7EC-845D65E7CB06.jpeg

D55B42DB-6033-4EA3-ACEA-3AA7BA57AED8.jpeg

776D28B1-0205-456F-984D-647E2F7F48EA.jpeg

FBBF546E-1829-4083-81A9-86CE505AC992.jpeg

6DB205A6-22EE-46F0-A6E4-7F4B1E76E324.jpeg

Bonnet usually fits snug up to the scuttle (3-4mm) with bigger gaps (6-8mm) to doors. Yours seems to be the opposite. May need to shift the tub back a few mm relative to the bulkhead and also raise the rear of the tub to even up the tapering gap at the rear of the door.

Drivers door looks like it needs to go in at the top.  If having problems with doors sticking out at the bottom rear (doesn't seem you do at this stage) remember tub spread. Most have it to some extent.

Nick

Thanks Nick that just the kind of help I needed!

Ive just adjusted the bonnet adjusters as much as they will allow and still the gap between the scuttle and bonnet is a little large.....also drops in the middle but this may be due to no cones at present. 

The passenger door now needs moving back which as you say means the tub also can go back.....this may solve a few issues in one go actually( drivers door is too tight to close and the bolts in the spring tunnel are as far to the back as possible.....moving the tub will them move these forwards) .

As for the vitesse valance.....I knew it was a vitesse one .

Mark collected it for me in Shaftesbury after I won it for £10 on eBay  it’s fibreglass ....

Alex

Had no real time today as spitfire had mot.....( broke throttle cable about 2 mins after booking it in......had to wire it open and drive home fit a spare and drive back ).

Alex

More adjustment required......I can’t close the scuttle gap up any more even with all the adjustments taken up.

The doors are also nearly right back now so I’m wondering if the bulkhead need tipping or moving forwards?.....not sure how I’ll achieve this though 

Alex